Parking Brake unexpected Release (MT)

CULaterJimzo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' CUL A91 MT
Im not sure why my shop decided to leave the steel flywheel and not put back the stock dual mass flywheel. But the Hydraulic release bearing basically eliminates the clutch master cylinder + CDV. Idk how to explain how good and responsive the pedal feels with it comparing with a friend without CDV but stock clutch. Night and Day diff
Sponsored

morte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 MT Supra, 2003 Miata, and a Volvo
Have you made your own complaint to NHTSA yet? It's important that everyone do that. The higher the volume of complaints over the same thing, the more likely they'll look into it further.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
From what I understand, the number of people who have made a NHTSA report is only a tiny fraction of the people who have complained on the internet about it. They'd love to push Toyota on fixing it because it is a legitimate safety issue, but without more reports, that's not happening.

So, to everyone in the US, if this is happening to you, and you want to see it fixed, please make a NHTSA report at the link above. It only takes a couple of minutes.

OP
OP
Kroberter

Kroberter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91MT Supra, 95 Rx7,67 Corvette 427ci
I have not noticed my parking brake releasing after Iā€™ve engaged the parking brake recently. Iā€™m not sure if I have gotten used to the sequence or there was an update during one of my dealer visits. Itā€™s possible Iā€™ve subconsciously adapted to staying off the clutch while pulling the brake switch.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
After you stop, place car in gear (1st or Rev). I don't even use the parking brake on my Golf-R as it has that notorious e-brake seizing issue. Not that mine would as I don't drive the car in the winter in the salt..

Hill assist is for pansi-tards anyway.. :crazy:

morte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After you stop, place car in gear (1st or Rev). I don't even use the parking brake on my Golf-R as it has that notorious e-brake seizing issue. Not that mine would as I don't drive the car in the winter in the salt..

Hill assist is for pansi-tards anyway.. :crazy:
Parking in gear when you're done driving is a given, and this has nothing to do with hill assist. The scenario where this comes into play is when you stop, set the parking brake, and take your foot off the brake while leaving it in neutral and the engine going. Like, if you're hopping into a convenience store and leaving a passenger in your car, or something. Yeah, you can adapt to it, and tell anyone who might drive the car to be careful that the brake is engaged, but it would be ideal if you didn't have to because the parking brake works as expected.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Parking in gear when you're done driving is a given, and this has nothing to do with hill assist. The scenario where this comes into play is when you stop, set the parking brake, and take your foot off the brake while leaving it in neutral and the engine going. Like, if you're hopping into a convenience store and leaving a passenger in your car, or something. Yeah, you can adapt to it, and tell anyone who might drive the car to be careful that the brake is engaged, but it would be ideal if you didn't have to because the parking brake works as expected.
Hill assist works inconjunction with the e-parking brake preventing the car from rolling backwards so it has everything to do with it mechanically.

However, I can see that you want to keep the car running while passenger is onboard.. should've just bought an AT man, the correct transmission for the GR Supra. :crazy:

jk

morte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hill assist works inconjunction with the e-parking brake preventing the car from rolling backwards so it has everything to do with it mechanically.

However, I can see that you want to keep the car running while passenger is onboard.. should've just bought an AT man, the correct transmission for the GR Supra. :crazy:

jk
Hill assist keeps pressure in the main braking system when the car is on an incline. The parking brake doesn't engage when that system is active. If it did for some reason, it would be very audible. That's one of the nice things about the parking brake in this car, I guess, the actuators are loud.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
No it does not.

should've just bought an AT man, the correct transmission for the GR Supra.
Hill assist is for pansi-tards anyway..
This is a technical thread about a safety issue and your contribution is trolling. Please be smart enough to bow out.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
This is a technical thread about a safety issue and your contribution is trolling. Please be smart enough to bow out.

jk
I think your jk was missed in the comment above šŸ‘†. Otherwise, good statement (minus the joke šŸ˜‰).

Itā€™s a good thread for anyone interested in a manual nowadays. I just want to pull a hand brake or mash the button and have it always stay on. Is that possible? I could see both my wife and I getting the proper steps wrong to keep that sucker engaged. Iā€™m still getting over this Supra doesnā€™t have a dip stick for oil. Anyway, wife was looking at building a base M2 with manual. Thx to yā€™all, I talked her out of it. We have a MX5 with an always on hand brake. Convinced her, thatā€™ll do for now.

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hill assist keeps pressure in the main braking system when the car is on an incline. The parking brake doesn't engage when that system is active. If it did for some reason, it would be very audible. That's one of the nice things about the parking brake in this car, I guess, the actuators are loud.
Is that right.

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
This just happened to me this morning. I pulled my car out of the garage last night (it's not my daily), and parked it on my drive way so I can take it to work on a Friday. My driveway is slanted down toward the street about 15 degrees. When I started the car this morning (in neutral), the electronic brake automatically released on it's own, and the car slowly started rolling down the driveway while I was staring at my phone. I realized it after 5 seconds or so and stopped the car before it reached the sidewalk. Startled the shit out of me!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
This just happened to me this morning. I pulled my car out of the garage last night (it's not my daily), and parked it on my drive way so I can take it to work on a Friday. My driveway is slanted down toward the street about 15 degrees. When I started the car this morning (in neutral), the electronic brake automatically released on it's own, and the car slowly started rolling down the driveway while I was staring at my phone. I realized it after 5 seconds or so and stopped the car before it reached the sidewalk. Startled the shit out of me!
Report to NHTSA please - https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem

Use component "service brakes" - takes five minutes.

morte

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, it looks like I may have a fix for mine. I had completely forgotten that I used Bimmercode to permanently disable the engine auto on/off feature. Today, Toyota engineers flew in, spent a few hours with my car, discovered the change, reverted it back to stock, and no more unexpected parking brake release when clutching out in neutral. They changed it back to how I had it, and the parking brake glitch came back. I verified this myself using Bimmercode. Got some egg on my face for sure but Toyota's been really nice about it.

I'll keep watching for the problem, though. I'm not 100% convinced that it's fixed. But at least now that we've figured this out, I can start screwing the car up in other ways, like swapping steering wheels, adding sways, etc. :spaz:

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Well, it looks like I may have a fix for mine. I had completely forgotten that I used Bimmercode to permanently disable the engine auto on/off feature. Today, Toyota engineers flew in, spent a few hours with my car, discovered the change, reverted it back to stock, and no more unexpected parking brake release when clutching out in neutral. They changed it back to how I had it, and the parking brake glitch came back. I verified this myself using Bimmercode. Got some egg on my face for sure but Toyota's been really nice about it.

I'll keep watching for the problem, though. I'm not 100% convinced that it's fixed. But at least now that we've figured this out, I can start screwing the car up in other ways, like swapping steering wheels, adding sways, etc. :spaz:
Thatā€™s odd. Iā€™ve coded out auto start/stop on mine and donā€™t have the issueā€¦