Parking Brake unexpected Release (MT)

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
This whole issue seems to stem from the system that automatically disengages the parking brake when you try to drive away with it engaged not having enough safety interlocks or rules to govern when it activates. It can activate with as little input as letting the clutch out in the right circumstances.

I've submitted a complaint to NHTSA and when that complaint becomes public on their website, I think I will start a new thread asking for MT folks to "me-too" the issue on their site.

In the meantime, if you'd like to try and replicate this issue yourself, I've documented the issue in a video:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kroberter

Kroberter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91MT Supra, 95 Rx7,67 Corvette 427ci
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one thatā€™s been startled by this. Iā€™ll keep a look out for the NHTSA complaint.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
It's not a bug, it's a feature šŸ¤£

Anyone looked into the manual to see what it says about this manually occuring issue on the manuals?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
This is clear an issue, especially based on the video from @Spart however,

Always place your MT in gear when you park.
This has always been the rule for ever and ever, amen, for manual transmissions. I cannot imagine I've been in where I've not left an MT car in gear-- at least when exiting.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
This is clear an issue, especially based on the video from @Spart however,

This has always been the rule for ever and ever, amen, for manual transmissions. I cannot imagine I've been in where I've not left an MT car in gear-- at least when exiting.
I always use 1st or reverse when parking the car with the engine off, however if you need to (or want to) park temporarily with the engine still running, neutral with parking brake is the only way.

I give as an example the gas station nearby my house. I will often start the car in the garage and drive straight there to pick something up. It's a quarter mile away, so the car hasn't had a chance to warm up, and I tend to park and leave it running. The parking lot is almost, but not quite perfectly flat. This is exactly the situation where I found out about this rollaway hazard the hard way.

Those of us that get winter and drive our cars in it also have to deal with ice, snow, frost, etc. Leaving the vehicle running while parked is sometimes the only way to start making a dent in accumulated ice.

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT
This whole issue seems to stem from the system that automatically disengages the parking brake when you try to drive away with it engaged not having enough safety interlocks or rules to govern when it activates. It can activate with as little input as letting the clutch out in the right circumstances.

I've submitted a complaint to NHTSA and when that complaint becomes public on their website, I think I will start a new thread asking for MT folks to "me-too" the issue on their site.

In the meantime, if you'd like to try and replicate this issue yourself, I've documented the issue in a video:

thanks for pointing out this flaw in the video. Hasnā€™t happened to me yet, I guess itā€™s been a habit of mine to release clutch first, while holding the brake pedal when parking

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
thanks for pointing out this flaw in the video. Hasnā€™t happened to me yet, I guess itā€™s been a habit of mine to release clutch first, while holding the brake pedal when parking
I guess my muscle memory is to hold the clutch in, set the parking brake, turn off the car, then let the clutch out (in gear) when parking normally.

If I'm leaving the vehicle running I do everything the same except I leave it in neutral and don't turn the car off, so the last thing I do before getting out is let the clutch out. Which turns off the f***ing parking brake. :mad:

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
I guess my muscle memory is to hold the clutch in, set the parking brake, turn off the car, then let the clutch out (in gear) when parking normally.

If I'm leaving the vehicle running I do everything the same except I leave it in neutral and don't turn the car off, so the last thing I do before getting out is let the clutch out. Which turns off the f***ing parking brake. :mad:
I was always taught to park with the vehicle in gear. Having said that, for those that park in neutral or want to leave the car running, is the solution in either case to put the car in neutral with clutch and brake depressed, release the clutch, engage e brake then release brake?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
From what I can tell, this just looks like yet another nanny dumbing things down for the millennial set. Rather than being a fault, could it be a matter of slightly changing your driving habit?

1. Come to a complete stop with the clutch in, car in neutral.
  2. Keep clutch held in.
  3. Set parking brake, let go of brake pedal.
  4. Let the clutch out.
  5. Observe that the parking brake releases and you start rolling.
Does this solve the issue:
  1. Come to a complete stop with the clutch in, car in neutral.
  2. Keep clutch held in. Let the clutch out.
  3. Set parking brake, let go of brake pedal.
  4. Let the clutch out.
  5. Observe that the parking brake releases and you start rolling.
And.. umm.. during the video, why are you constantly holding the clutch in while you are in neutral?

Last edited:

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT
I was always taught to park with the vehicle in gear. Having said that, for those that park in neutral or want to leave the car running, is the solution in either case to put the car in neutral with clutch and brake depressed, release the clutch, engage e brake then release brake?
yep this is exactly how i park. i usually dont park in gear but if i remember to, i just do it after the car is shut off anyways

CULaterJimzo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' CUL A91 MT
Same here, I usually browse on this forum while waiting for the operating temperature to rise. I'd let my foot off the brake swaying my leg around till then. For sure if im paying too much attention on my phone i wont realize my car be slowly rolling on its own Now i'm getting in to the habit of double chcking if my p-brake is on now

xkenx1995

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Anyone have the parking brake release randomly on a manual transmission?
I was chillin after starting it, selecting some music and I rolled out of the parking space. Never hit the clutch or brake besides the initial start. The parking brake released a solid 20-30 seconds after I was sitting there.
I initially thought it released with a clutch friction sort of logic like the hill hold feature but what happened today makes me think itā€™s defective.
Iā€™ve also had the brake release right after I set it before I was able to hit the engine stop.
I donā€™t have a manual, but the parking brake releases if you tap the gas pedal when youre in drive. Not sure if the manual has some sort of thing like that.

xkyo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra MT prem/2020 AG Taco Pro/Model Y perform
Solid video showing concern, great points! I donā€™t personally hold the clutch in or park in gear. I come to a stop, let go of brake and pull e brake. No problems with my personal way of doing it. But I can see the concern. Hope you can get a fix, best of luck!

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
BuT iTs MoRe FuN rIgHt........ Im kidding. This would be a problem for me as ive never left my manuals in gear. I guess habit from when i used to have remote start on a manual. But decades now and never got into the habit of leaving it in gear, always just set the P-brake. This would be a hazard with me. i need to play around with the shop car and see if we can replicate that also. Put it up on the SI channel and hopefully get something fixed that it only releases when you press a button or try and roll off in gear i guess for the ones that cant put 2+2 together.
Sponsored