Petition To Toyota For Manual Transmission.

Which would affect your buying decision for the Supra, Toyota Safety Sense or a Manual Transmission?

• Total voters

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
His statement about it being too torquey was the most absurd thing I’ve heard from some one highly regarded. Sorta takes away his credibility.. does he even live in the same time.

707 Hp hellcat
755 hp ZR1
645 hp Viper
650 Hp Camaro ZL1
650 hp Z06
520 hp GT350

Many 400hp cars with manual. What on earth does he mean the shifts won’t feel goo
While that quote may be a little questionable let's leave the personal attacks out of this. Tada San has done more to bring sports cars back to Toyota than most know. He's handcuffed by the decisions made by the board who don't give a rip about sports cars.
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Remember!!

Tada wants a manual. He said it in interviews.

The auto-only rumours have come from a financial/accounting decision. Tada of course has to support the Toyota decision, can't throw himself under the bus.

If the car is in-fact auto only.... it's because of cost. Not because the lead engineer doesn't want one. He has to make up answers to justify the company line.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Well.. why make nonsense if your hands are tied? If Toyota has as a company set out to respond to an ask from the market then do it right or don’t do it at all. Half ass attempts only result in failure.

Who here thinks ford, Chevy, Nissan doesn’t turn a profit from selling sports cars?

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
What I read from BMW previously about high torque and manual transmissions (specifically relating to whether future M Performance models would retain a manual transmission) was less that it couldn't be done, but more that it couldn't be done as well as they'd want it. That is, in order to build a manual transmission that can handle the high torque, the transmission doesn't meet their guidelines for ease of shifting, clutch pedal feel, and NVH. And so on.

Of course a manual transmission can be made to handle the torque, but can one be made that also meets the other requirements set out by the company, that's the question.

Jeff

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Ford just confirmed a 700 plus HP GT500 with a manual transmission. What on earth is Tada talking about that it’ll (new Supra) be too torquey for a manual. Stupid statements like this make the new Supra sound silly and have no faith in what’s about to come.
I think what Tada said got lost in translation

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I think what Tada said got lost in translation
Ford just confirmed a 700 plus HP GT500 with a manual transmission. What on earth is Tada talking about that it’ll (new Supra) be too torquey for a manual. Stupid statements like this make the new Supra sound silly and have no faith in what’s about to come.
Ford with the GT500???....how about Dodge with the Demon??? 840HP with equivalent torque, and car makers are complaining about not sourcing strong transmissions???? The Tremec T56 Magnum can be geared in a variety of different ratios for any application, and it is rated at 700HP from the factory. Getrag (a huge supplier of transmissions to BMW) made what is arguably one of the greatest and strongest transmissions to ever come on a stock car (V160/V161), and car makers are running around looking for high torque high horsepower capable transmissions???

Look, I get it....Toyota doesn't want to make the same mistake as they did in the 90's with the overly-expensive Supra. However, Toyota....don't insult the enthusiasts communities' intelligence by making excuses to justify the next gen Supra's $50k price tag. It is what it is....if it performs less than expected, no problem. I know a few other car makers who would love to have $50k-$60k of my money on very capable sports-cars.

Btw, the new GT500 is going to be insane....the word is (from Ford themselves)....."Venom kills Demons."

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
"Venom kills demons"
Venom = Shelby Cobra
Demon = Challenger Demon

The art of clapbacks lvl 9000

BTW have you noticed something about halo cars? The GT500 name has been restarted (think '05-'14 Shelby), the GT3 RS from the 997.2 generation, the GT-R, the Corvette ZR1 Performance/ZTK (maybe)... The names of recent models are being revived.
(I couldn't think of more.)

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
"Venom kills demons"
Venom = Shelby Cobra
Demon = Challenger Demon

The art of clapbacks lvl 9000

BTW have you noticed something about halo cars? The GT500 name has been restarted (think '05-'14 Shelby), the GT3 RS from the 997.2 generation, the GT-R, the Corvette ZR1 Performance/ZTK (maybe)... The names of recent models are being revived.
(I couldn't think of more.)
the Z28?

Kaffeinski

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
718 cayman
Smaller wheelbase than gt86, more power, and no manual.

Also double the price

Id rather get a gt86 and put a ft1 bodykit on it

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure there is a Z/28 in the new Camaro, 2018 or 2019. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No Z28 in gen 6 Camaros.

Right now V8 models are SS, SS1LE, ZL1, ZL1 1LE. There are 4cyl and 6cyl models that don’t matter.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Also, a V6 1LE, and a T4 1LE.
I like the idea of a turbo four 1LE, because the block can be easily tuned, cryo treated, run more boost, etc. Plus, a handling package. I like it.
Sponsored