Petition To Toyota For Manual Transmission.

Which would affect your buying decision for the Supra, Toyota Safety Sense or a Manual Transmission?

• Total voters

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Check out A70's latest comment regarding a manual on thread #415 - 2019 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

looks like it not happening...

Last edited:

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Check out A70's latest comment regarding a manual on thread #415 - 2019 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

looks like it not happening...
From Autoblog's interview, Tada replied "Supra fans don't think it's a huge requirement"
Im not sure if he spoke with Supra owners or Camry boys ?

Lots of people were thrown under the buss on that day.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
To be clear, I'm not saying to give up, it's just that the exact reasons for why are now known.

If you are passionate on this, then keep going because weirder things have happened as a result of people standing up for things.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
It can't hurt. If there is a system that can be retrofitted from the BMW, then all they need is the business case.

Unless the ZF8 is savage, with crisp response and angry downshifts, an auto-only A90 will mean it won't feature in my driveway....

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
@JT Anyway possible, to pin this to the featured section? If anyone knows the admin that can send them this. Would be awesome.

P.S: You guys are killing this so far over 85 Signatures in under a day is awesome!!!

Let keep this thing going, share, sign, share!!!!! :drive::headbang:
Done!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, if the automatic is a real DSG or SMG and shifts like a true dual clutch transmission....it really won't be all that bad if you think about it. Every video I see online with "1000hp Supra's" terrorizing highways and streets, I think to myself...."how much faster could a 1000hp Supra be with a super-fast shifting DSG?" I mean, let's face it...we all know there is not a man, woman, or child on this planet that can shift faster than a DSG...that's a fact right? Pair that up with a motor highly capable or being tuned, and Toyota's reliability in the mix. That my friends doesn't sound all too bad! Most of us love the feeling of boost coming on while staying in gear longer...I know this, it puts a smile on everyone's face. However, who said you can't do that with a good DSG transmission? I agree, if Toyota puts a fast shifting automatic transmission in the MKV and not a true dual clutch, then count me out as well....but, a DSG or true dual clutch transmission can end up being a very very good thing for the MKV. For those of you who have never driven in a R35 GTR....I highly highly recommend you drive in both a stock R35 GTR and a modded R35 GTR. You will see why a DSG style transmission is so much better for powerful sports cars....it feels like the car is accelerating in one looooooong gear.

I am in no way advertising that I don't want a manual, heck I even signed the petition. I would love to see a next gen manual in the MKV. Most importantly though, I would love to see a stout drive-train....tune-ability, durability, and reliability should be key factors in the production car.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Honestly, if the automatic is a real DSG or SMG and shifts like a true dual clutch transmission....it really won't be all that bad if you think about it. Every video I see online with "1000hp Supra's" terrorizing highways and streets, I think to myself...."how much faster could a 1000hp Supra be with a super-fast shifting DSG?" I mean, let's face it...we all know there is not a man, woman, or child on this planet that can shift faster than a DSG...that's a fact right? Pair that up with a motor highly capable or being tuned, and Toyota's reliability in the mix. That my friends doesn't sound all too bad! Most of us love the feeling of boost coming on while staying in gear longer...I know this, it puts a smile on everyone's face. However, who said you can't do that with a good DSG transmission? I agree, if Toyota puts a fast shifting automatic transmission in the MKV and not a true dual clutch, then count me out as well....but, a DSG or true dual clutch transmission can end up being a very very good thing for the MKV. For those of you who have never driven in a R35 GTR....I highly highly recommend you drive in both a stock R35 GTR and a modded R35 GTR. You will see why a DSG style transmission is so much better for powerful sports cars....it feels like the car is accelerating in one looooooong gear.

I am in no way advertising that I don't want a manual, heck I even signed the petition. I would love to see a next gen manual in the MKV. Most importantly though, I would love to see a stout drive-train....tune-ability, durability, and reliability should be key factors in the production car.
The idea of a highway roll-race 1000hp Supra (or GTR) is antithetical to the claimed vision of the MKV. If all you want to do is go fast in a straight line, an auto or DSG will serve you well, there's no arguing that. Even if you want to go fast on a track and put down good lap times, DSG or a good auto will do the job best. But if you want the enjoyment that Toyota says it is delivering, that is severely handicapped without a manual.

If they show me something that sounds and feels like a race car with paddle shifters I could have fun with that. It has to make me feel like I'm in the GR race car though. A basic street car with paddles doesn't excite me much.

I'll wait and see how the package has come together though, I think it will be a great car either way.