Petition To Toyota For Manual Transmission.

Which would affect your buying decision for the Supra, Toyota Safety Sense or a Manual Transmission?

• Total voters

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I reckon petition is nice, singed and all, but to be honest Toyota is not silly. They see what is happening with the Porsche, namely the 991.2 GT3. They can see how much interest that has garnered just by offering the manual option for the people that want it.

If they truly think of themselves as a "customer first" company then they will offer a manual.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I don't think Toyota would even take it seriously at a 1000. It would likely have to have to be 10,000+ to have weight.

Why not barrage Toyota on Twitter with comments of pure disappointment over no manual? :)

Both?
both it is, Here are the tweets to reply to:

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Best chance we have it being a manual is if BMW uses ZF S6-53 for their twin. That appears to be capable of up to 600Nm while the best Getrag is 550Nm.
Then use of an auto ZF 8HP also makes sense - ZF as the single supplier.

All this talk about changing Toyota's mind now - pretty sure that the floor pan design would have been signed off some time in 2016. If there is any chance of manual appearing at launch or a year later is ZF connection.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I reckon petition is nice, singed and all, but to be honest Toyota is not silly. They see what is happening with the Porsche, namely the 991.2 GT3. They can see how much interest that has garnered just by offering the manual option for the people that want it.

If they truly think of themselves as a "customer first" company then they will offer a manual.
It is partially about customers but we have to remember they are alot of stakeholders around the table involved in the decision process...

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
It is partially about customers but we have to remember they are alot of stakeholders around the table involved in the decision process...
This is a Halo Sports Car for the brand. It's not going to be a money maker for the company anyway and they already know that. There's no reason to alienate 50-75% of the potential customers (based on manual take rates for the GT86 twins).

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
This is a Halo Sports Car for the brand. It's not going to be a money maker for the company anyway and they already know that. There's no reason to alienate 50-75% of the potential customers (based on manual take rates for the GT86 twins).
obviously i want a stick but i don't think the percentage would be anywhere near that high. the supposed price point will set it closer to the senior citizen bracket...my bet is if they release it with a stick it would be far below 50%, probably similar to the C7's 10-20% rate.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
obviously i want a stick but i don't think the percentage would be anywhere near that high. the supposed price point will set it closer to the senior citizen bracket...my bet is if they release it with a stick it would be far below 50%, probably similar to the C7's 10-20% rate.
It would be much higher than a C7 as there is a huge following of theC7 in retired old dudes. The supra I would estimate 30-45% would be a manual if there was the option

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
[QUOTE="It's not going to be a money maker for the company[/QUOTE]

Would be surprised if Toyota would build any car that is not a money maker for them...

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
While the petition is for manual transmission, what about manual handbrake? For for me a manual transmission also needs a manual handbrake. Automatic parking brake is for automatic transmission. I don't like new Porsche with manual transmission but automatic parking brake. Lexus did it almost right with the IS XE20:

manual transmission and hand parking brake:
fashionable-design-lexus-es-350-manual-how-many-transmission-have-been-produced-for-the-2nd-gen.jpg

automatic transmission with foot parking brake, but could have been electric parking brake on center console that is already different:
19-2011-lexus-is-f-review.jpg

What is the MT/AUT percentage for the GT86/FRS/BRZ?

Last edited:

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
[QUOTE="It's not going to be a money maker for the company

Would be surprised if Toyota would build any car that is not a money maker for them...
They lost money on every LFA. Halo Cars and sports cars in general aren't huge money makers for them. Obviously with something like the Supra they want to more than just break even but my point was that their profit expectations couldn't have been that high to begin with so why jeopardize that with limiting half of your sales potential.

BRZer86

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Jaguar XJL Portfolio
[QUOTE="It's not going to be a money maker for the company
Would be surprised if Toyota would build any car that is not a money maker for them...[/QUOTE]

Considering Toyota and BMW are sharing the R&D costs, it’s a bit hard to fathom either automaker losing money whether they offer a MT or not; that being said, I can’t see offering a MT impacting their bottom line drastically.
Sponsored