Petition To Toyota For Manual Transmission.

Which would affect your buying decision for the Supra, Toyota Safety Sense or a Manual Transmission?

• Total voters

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
you're asking for a slippery slope that no true enthusiast wants since all these "advancements" are taking the human driver further and further away from actually controlling their machine (not to mention it only continues to further inflate prices for consumers). The Mustang is not inherently dangerous, Ford isn't to blame here...that issue is more like muscle cars are the cheapest way to get serious power and normally that tends to get more inexperienced & reckless drivers, no different than the Camaro or Vette...
In the case of the Euro NCAP tests, I believe the Mustang was in fact deemed "dangerous", at least to some extent.

The European variant has seen only those minor updates required to meet European (pedestrian) safety regulation and the Forward Collision Warning system was removed when it was introduced here [...] In the frontal offset test, the airbags of both the driver and passenger inflated insufficiently to properly restrain the occupants. In the full-width frontal test, a lack of rear seatbelt pre-tensioners and load-limiters meant that the rear passenger slid under the seatbelt, implying higher risk at abdominal injuries in real life accidents. In the side impact crash, the head of the 10-year-old dummy contacted the interior trim bottoming out the curtain airbag.
Regardless, all this is tangential, because Toyota already is committed to having TSS standard across the range. And with all the talk about the manual trans and compatibility with AEB and other safety features, I have not heard one person at Toyota even mention the possible removal/forgoing of TSS for the car. The solution is to either figure out if they can get a manual to work with TSS or to go Auto only. Removal of safety systems has never been, and never will be, an option for Toyota. Such is the way of the world!
Sponsored

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
If they can get a manual to work with TSS or to go Auto only.
They can. The real question is, and this may upset some, is it financially worth doing it? I suspect the answer to that is no, but I hope the answer to that could be yes. I know plenty of people not interested in the car without a manual, but, if there's nothing else with a manual, you take what you can get. We are moving to an automated world.

The question isn't even will someone order a manual, but rather, will someone who would order a manual order an automatic if that's all there is. Again, I suspect there are a good number of people out who will just live with the auto.

Such is life, but I will do whatever I can to make sure I have a manual for as long as possible (and I have).

Jeff

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe someone can share this with the higher ups making the decisions on this car. I feel as if a good amount of sales will be lost by phasing out the manual transmission drivers that are looking for their next car to be a manual.

Last edited:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
agree wholeheartedly, but let me turn it off completely. like i can in the GT86 and my AMG. kthnx.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
At this point.. anyone that was even remotely looking for this car is ready to be disappointed and will be happy even if Toyota makes a half way decent car (including me). But the weight aspect and the handling seems like it’ll be on point but if no manual is offered then it’ll be just like a GTR for me.. I’ll never buy it.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s funny.. I want toyota to have TSS in the 4Runner and they won’t do it.. but will put it in a sports car and due to that they won’t do a manual. Stupid. Toyota is just stupid. Utter stupidness. Rant over.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
So again... All these systems should be mandatory and standard.
sigh...this is what happens when the world is full of PC bros. Ford isn't forcing anyone to purchase their vehicles. If you notice, virtually every single Mustang meme or clip is in the US, not in Europe...probably because demographics of Mustang buyers in the US and Europe are totally different.

If you are so worried about the safety of people, you better ban motorcycles too. There are risks with everything, it shouldn't be mandatory that each and every person is as safe as possible.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
sigh...this is what happens when the world is full of PC bros. Ford isn't forcing anyone to purchase their vehicles. If you notice, virtually every single Mustang meme or clip is in the US, not in Europe...probably because demographics of Mustang buyers in the US and Europe are totally different.
Mustangs love the crowds, they can't help it!

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
So again... All these systems should be mandatory and standard.
I disagree. Optional is great, I like anything that's optional so that people can choose whatever they prefer ([ ] Air bags, [x] ABS, [switchable] ESP, [ ] lane assist, [ ] parking assist/rear view camera, [ ] AEB, ...)

Where do I sign for one of these "300mph gocart tin cans"?
It's called the Caterham 620R. Maybe not 300mph, but fucking fast. If you got the money (150k$ or so) for an Ultima Evo, you should be able to hit the 300mph goal in a tin can (actually, plastic bottle).

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Maybe someone can share this with the higher ups making the decisions on this car. I feel as if a good amount of sales will be lost by phasing out the manual transmission drivers that are looking for their next car to be a manual.

Agree with the lost of sales but Toyota would have factored this in, if in fact they do not offer a manual...they would accept fewer sales if it achieves all their other priorities ex. safety etc... sucks but reality...

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase