PSA: Are you about to buy a new turbo? You should wait.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
RP Turbo Kit Message.jpg

Just leaving this here as an FYI in case someone other than me had the same question.
Sponsored

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Question is can I use my existing aftermarket intake (e.g. Eventuri, HKS, etc).
I had messaged remnant and he said no. He is releasing a video to explain this as well.

Edit: Video released

Last edited:

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
RP Turbo Kit Message.jpg

Just leaving this here as an FYI in case someone other than me had the same question.
Happy to hear they are considering a closed intake box solution.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Happy to hear they are considering a closed intake box solution.
Yeah, same here. I also like the sound of the MST intake, so if they are basing theirs off of that it should hopefully sound great as well...you know, for people who care about that sort of thing.

twp4ever

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A90
Will there be a catted downpipe version? Thank you

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Will there be a catted downpipe version? Thank you
The turbo back side is compatible with the stock type downpipes. That being said you would not be able to run anywhere near max performance with a catted downpipe. The only reason you would use it is to have a low boost tune to pass emissions with a catted downpipe and then swap it once done. Which is what I will be doing.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
Yeah, same here. I also like the sound of the MST intake, so if they are basing theirs off of that it should hopefully sound great as well...you know, for people who care about that sort of thing.
Hoping for the clear cover option or option to use MST’s clear cover.

… The only reason you would use it is to have a low boost tune to pass emissions with a catted downpipe and then swap it once done. Which is what I will be doing.
Another reason to go catted is to not deal with the smell (which is what I plan on doing).

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Hoping for the clear cover option or option to use MST’s clear cover.

Another reason to go catted is to not deal with the smell (which is what I plan on doing).
Its not gonna work well if at all. I've spoke with several tuners and read a ton of posts on people trying to run catted with a larger turbo and the cats just cannot handle the heat.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/catted-vs-catless-my-story-with-data-to-share.6116/

You will end up melting the cat and clogging it.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You will end up melting the cat and clogging it.
Depends on the quality of the cat. The GESI cats can handle power very well. I run a GESI cat on my Evo and it makes 650whp in street trim and revs to 9,000 rpm.

I've also seen 800whp+ V8's with GESI cats, no issues.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
Depends on the quality of the cat. The GESI cats can handle power very well. I run a GESI cat on my Evo and it makes 650whp in street trim and revs to 9,000 rpm.
Even the GESI cats are a problem from everyone that I have spoke with. The link I posted is an Active Autowerks cat that uses a GESI. Its generally considered one of the best on the market and it still had that problem. They are only rated for 1500 degrees and turbo cars will sit right around that number under load.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
+1 for catless. Some have ran pure 800 on catted and got pretty good results (still not as good as catless) but if you plan to get this turbo to push past the pure 800 limit then the cat has got to go

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
+1 more for catless and larger intakes. Once you step past the flow and power of the stock turbo, restrictions can start to have a serious impact on performance. The intakes sized for stock turbo will choke out a bigger turbo on intake charge volume, and catted pipes are likely to choke out the turbo from an exhaust velocity perspective.

Remember that this turbo, and others like it, are sized to put +50-100% more power to the ground versus stock. This will expose airflow restrictions of stock-oriented components very quickly.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I saw this yesterday and the current discussion reminded me about it.

I'm sure the cats on that car are old as hell, but still. Pretty funny.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Even the GESI cats are a problem from everyone that I have spoke with. The link I posted is an Active Autowerks cat that uses a GESI. Its generally considered one of the best on the market and it still had that problem. They are only rated for 1500 degrees and turbo cars will sit right around that number under load.
Yea, for the Supra, where the cat is right off the turbo, you are probably right. On cars like my Evo, the placement of the cat will never see 1500+ EGTs.

We've used GESI cats on time attack Evos as well, which obviously see a ton of heat, never had issues.
Sponsored