Remnant Performance OMEGA 65 Turbo Kit

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I've made it very clear that the snark isn't pointed at Remnant, it's pointed at others that have been hyping "two weeks" for two years.
I agree with this, and the "two weeks" thing is seriously the most hilarious inside forum joke I've seen in a decade. Some people might not even remember, that it originally started with how soon a stateside DME unlock would allegedly be available. Then @_Sp1ral0ut got involved and it took on a life of its own. It has an energy, that can no longer be destroyed.

I don't think I've ever actually seen it directed at Remnant and "timeline promises" they have made, just the guys on here that are chomping at the bit for this kit and keep insinuating that it's right around the corner. Alec has been very transparent about the development difficulties and never promised a timeframe. Has he set timeframe targets & goals? Yes. Has he made promises and guarantees about hitting said targets? Not that I've seen.
Sponsored

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
I've made it very clear that the snark isn't pointed at Remnant, it's pointed at others that have been hyping "two weeks" for two years.

- I've stated multiple times that I look forward to another option on the market
- I've disagreed with people saying the kit will be crap purely based on it having a China turbo, as both Garrett and BW have turbos manufactured in China.

I'll tell you what, since people are getting just a but too sensitive here, I will back off on the snark and let the results speak for themselves... in two weeks.
Soooo I agree.... let's let the results speak for themselves. No dates. The kit will be released when it's 100% ready. Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun here. However, the general snarkiness and "2 weeks" stuff, made this thread less about the turbo kit and devolved into personal attacks. Yes, this is very ChatGPT. Anyways, I'll also back off on the appearance of overly hyping the kit. It'll be ready in a approximately a fortnight (or whenever its ready)...

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
I agree with this, and the "two weeks" thing is seriously the most hilarious inside forum joke I've seen in a decade.
It was funny. At this point its just annoying to me because every thread that has any mention of timing in any post, regardless of if it is actually having to do with a new product release, will have a handful of members spam "In two weeks". It could still be funny if it was actually used tactfully. Anyways...maybe I'll stfu and stop caring in two weeks.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
OP
OP
stormgreysupra

stormgreysupra

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oemplusmods.com
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra A90 Edition
Canā€™t wait for this kit and the Gamma system to release! It will be worth the wait!

Lonestar_Nomad

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€˜23 GR Supra Premium MT
Canā€™t wait for this kit and the Gamma system to release! It will be worth the wait!
Agreed. Iā€™ll be watching closely once this gets in peopleā€™s hands. RP has a good reputation on other platforms and more options are always a good thing. I can see how this wild thread could be taken out of context by either himself or those interested in the product, but this nonstop banter has kept Remnant Performance safely plastered on the front page of the forum for weeks.

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
How does this kit compare to something line the DAW upgraded turbo?

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I agree with this, and the "two weeks" thing is seriously the most hilarious inside forum joke I've seen in a decade. Some people might not even remember, that it originally started with how soon a stateside DME unlock would allegedly be available. Then @_Sp1ral0ut got involved and it took on a life of its own. It has an energy, that can no longer be destroyed.

I don't think I've ever actually seen it directed at Remnant and "timeline promises" they have made, just the guys on here that are chomping at the bit for this kit and keep insinuating that it's right around the corner. Alec has been very transparent about the development difficulties and never promised a timeframe. Has he set timeframe targets & goals? Yes. Has he made promises and guarantees about hitting said targets? Not that I've seen.
Lmao I had actually forgotten about the state side unlock haha

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Lemme see if I have any stickers left somewhere...
Lmao Iā€™ve got one on my water jug that goes everywhere and one on my tool box. Iā€™m hoping some day at the gym someone will see it and get the reference

Alec-RemnantPerformance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR 3.0 | 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8T
Thanks Guys and thanks for extending me some grace! Well there is a lot to unpack. Maybe my guy Oli @stormgreysupra will consider pinning this post for anyoneā€™s future reference.

The 65 OMEGA Turbo

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

19.jpeg

22.jpeg

24.jpeg

First of all The 65 OMEGA isnā€™t really a ā€œnewā€ turbo. Itā€™s utilizing our same OMEGA series dual ceramic ball bearing CHRA thatā€™s designed to support high speed, high boost applications. Weā€™ve been building these turbos for years and have customers with over 20,000 miles on their turbos daily driven.

All OMEGA series turbos have dual piston ring oil seals at both ends of the rotating shaft to fight the possibility of oil leaks at both the compressor wheel or turbine wheel sides. The thick rotating shaft allows for stability at high speed and we balance all completed rotating assemblies at a minimum of 120,000rpm to make sure they can consistently and reliably operate, especially at high boost. Finally we couple this with our standard 1 year warranty on the complete CHRA. IF you were ever to have a problem, we would send you an entirely new CHRA as a replacement.

The turbine wheel on the OMEGA series is a unique 9 blade design with a deep back cut on each of the fins. It allows the turbine wheel to flow much larger amounts of exhaust gases than would be expected in a given A/R turbine housing while keeping back-pressure in the turbine housing low. This allows the OMEGA series turbos to support high horsepower while keeping the A/R tighter for fast spool. For example, while testing the big brother 70 OMEGA on a MKV Supra, we were able to determine that the OMEGA series turbine wheels are capable of flowing well enough to efficiently make ~1000whp in a ~0.82 A/R turbine housing while keeping back-pressure low.

Here is a look at the turbine wheel if youā€™re curious:

IMG_9407.jpeg

For the 65 OMEGA, we leveraged the existing CHRA technology and developed a new compressor and turbine wheel to allow us to achieve instantaneous spool while allowing for very high power potential. Here is where it sits in our entire lineup:

IMG_9941.png

For the Supra, we started by scanning and modeling the stock turbine housing/exhaust manifold. Then we cut the stock housing into 3 pieces using a waterjet so we could properly scan and model the twin scroll architecture. We then added 25.4mm to the runner length to simultaneously support higher HP in the upper RPM and move the CHRA off the block to support the larger and more efficient compressor housing. We then resized the turbine housing section from the ~0.57 A/R of stock to ~0.80-0.81A/R to also simultaneously support much better top end without sacrificing spool.

Due to the much larger compressor housing, We developed a custom extension arm complete with a built-in ball joint to make sure it could never bind. This unit accomplished its task but came with the complication of finding the correct overall length.

We took it to the dyno the first time and these were the preliminary results:

PRELIMINARY TEST RESULTS (Conservative timing & low boost):

Let me preface these results by stating these are low boost and low timing. We COULD NOT turn it up because I was just running the stock low pressure fuel pump. We noticed right off the bat that something was up. We were missing all of our boost targets! šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll tell you why in a second.

Dynoā€™s were done with 305/30R19 Continental Extreme Contact Sports on the 19x11.5 BCForgedNA LE53ā€™s.

A14B80EC-D27E-441F-843C-198344CCD417.jpeg
Green = 93 octane & Blue = E50. We threw some E in to help us figure out what was going on more safely. We were missing all our boost targets because the wastegate was open šŸ˜‚. We were commanding full closure but the gate was prevented from closing because the adjustable arm was too long šŸ¤¦šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø
DC695F97-35B1-4CE9-98B5-2B33564A3C5A.jpeg

Stock arm was 81.6mm, our testing was done at 89.2mm haha. The next day after the dyno, we adjusted it down to 85.6mm and started hitting boost targets on the street!

Ok back to the results! We were excited to see that we were hitting over 400ftlbs of tq by 2,950rpms even with the open wastegate issue!

Someone asked how our turbo compares to the DAW, well I know we canā€™t talk about other offerings. But we are happy with this result so far:
BAF1B123-58A0-4D99-BA06-BB05493BC592.jpeg

400TQ
65 OMEGA with open wastegate - 2,950rpms
DAW - 3,450rpms

500TQ
65 OMEGA with open wastegate - 3,450rpms
DAW - 3,700rpms

Power fall off
65 OMEGA with open wastegate - 6,600rpms
DAW - 6,100rpms

Different dynoā€™s, different cars and different tuners but we are happy that we are doing so well with these both being dynojets with the same correction factor.

End of Part 1. Iā€™ll come back with more information here shortly

Last edited:

Alec-RemnantPerformance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok Part 2, here goes.

After the results above and after confirming we were hitting boost targets on the street. We proceeded to put in the upgraded fuel pump which added a Hellcat pump to the factory Low Pressure Fuel Pump (LPFP) with a High Flow fitting. Then I had a month and a half of nightmare electrical issues including where my integrated supply module blew which took out a bunch of systems in the car. I had a bunch of people help out which was amazing including Matt Meadows who came over to help me figure out the source of the issue.

We got the car up and running back 100% finally Saturday Morning, July 8th at 1:30am. Keith of Extreme Boost Care met us later that morning and we headed out on the 8hr ā€œspiritedā€ drive up to New Jersey for the annual Kies Motorsports Auto Show. The car was perfect with the full ā€œTriple Threatā€ setup. No issues on the spirited drive there and back. Even got into it with a couple of modified new Porsche 911ā€™s. We ended up taking home the prize of ā€œBest Non-BMWā€ for the year which was awesome since there were McClarenā€™s and a Ferrari there!

Anyways, once we got back, I scheduled some more dyno time to finally try to turn things up! Unfortunately, I was met with yet another wastegate related obstacle. We were hitting right around the same 600/602 number but could not get boost much past 26-27psi. After trying a bunch of things, we finally recorded the wastegate during a pull and we found the issue! Watch the silver wastegate shaft in the video!

The wastegate shaft was getting ripped from the Electronic Wastegate (EWG) body!! šŸ˜®

The wastegate was too weak to keep the internal gate shut during the pull and therefore, we couldnā€™t spin the turbo any faster and make more boost.

While it was great to see what was stopping us, I was at a loss as to why. I prayed and asked God for some wisdom and went to sleep and sure enough the next morning, had the answer. I went ahead and remeasured everything and this is what I found:

0DAF5BA5-9519-4735-8CA2-F4DCC8EA0189.jpeg

The electronic wastegate sits 4mm farther forward on the 65 OMEGAā€™s mount than it does on the stock mount, so this confirms why the 85.6mm length worked great to compensate as it is exactly 4mm longer than the stock 81.6mm arm!

That said, that wasnā€˜t the length that actually mattered in relation to this issue. The length that mattered was the length of the rotational arm. Specifically, the distance between the rotational axis and the wastegate arm connection point! Stock was 21mm and the 65 OMEGA was at a measly 14mm!

Torque is Force * Distance and there is a Cosine factor in there due to the way it moves. When you actually do the calculation, the EWG was effectively at a 65% tq output disadvantage with the 65 OMEGA vs the stock turbo! Itā€™s like trying to take a wheel lug off with a hand wrench vs a breaker bar! Typical EWGā€™s are designed to hold about 50psi + ~40% overpower in factory applications. That means, if you do the math, the factory EWG could effectively hold back ~70psi on the OEM housing. At a 65%TQ disadvantage with the 14mm rotation arm, the max holding capability is just 24.5psi on the 65 OMEGA which makes sense why we see it opening up at 26psi even though we are commanding full closure.

So needless to say, we have some new rotational arms in transit and will be modifying our two 65 OMEGA units to the new 22mm standard. This will put the stock EWG at a 4.7% TQ advantage over the stock turbo so it will be able to hold about 3psi more that it could on the stock turbine housing.

4f8674aea98bfb0142496734bc6f7410.jpeg

I expect these units to get here within the next few days. Iā€™m looking forward to the next set of testing!

Last edited:

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
Holy shit! I take a couple days off to head to Disney World with the fam and all this "in two weeks" talk starts without me??? Man I don't even know where to begin....

First, @FuzzyRev85, thanks for the compliment about being the funniest inside forum joke. I take pride in my trolls and couldn't have done it without you guys.

Second, I'm pretty stoked, @Alec-RemnantPerformance, that the RP is near. It has been something I keep a close eye on. I just hope it's actually in two weeks (6 port) and not in two weeks. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the DAW. I also look forward to posting this gif if it is in two weeks. ;)

Two weeks.gif

Third, if my "in two weeks" stuff offended anyone or wasn't used to their liking I honestly don't give a shit because it was fucking funny to me -and a few others.

I admit I didn't read every post to catch up. I mostly skimmed through them. I'll go back and read them all now.

Alec-RemnantPerformance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I appreciate it Bro @_Sp1ral0ut! Yea a bit of a comparison to DAW is at the end of post #505 above haha. It is a long read as I promised šŸ˜‚

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Holy shit! I take a couple days off to head to Disney World with the fam and all this "in two weeks" talk starts without me??? Man I don't even know where to begin....

First, @FuzzyRev85, thanks for the compliment about being the funniest inside forum joke. I take pride in my trolls and couldn't have done it without you guys.

Second, I'm pretty stoked, @Alec-RemnantPerformance, that the RP is near. It has been something I keep a close eye on. I just hope it's actually in two weeks (6 port) and not in two weeks. I look forward to seeing how it compares to the DAW. I also look forward to posting this gif if it is in two weeks. ;)

Two weeks.gif

Third, if my "in two weeks" stuff offended anyone or wasn't used to their liking I honestly don't give a shit because it was fucking funny to me -and a few others.

I admit I didn't read every post to catch up. I mostly skimmed through them. I'll go back and read them all now.
image.jpg