Removing Interior Trunk Panels

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I searched here and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for - apologies if this is a repeat question. I'm attempting to install the Hochman harness bar I purchased, and because it's larger than most, a significant number of interior panels must be removed to slot it into place. I'm down to one more panel needing to be removed and I should be good to go.

This is the panel in question:

PXL_20220919_164357450 - Copy.jpg

Specifically these clips:

PXL_20220919_164422945 - Copy.jpg

I can't seem to pull them out enough to where the tab slips the notch in the fabric and slides off. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I may not be understanding you entirely but if you are looking to remove the side panel you will have to remove the basically everything else in the trunk to do so. The top plastic bit and fabric are one whole piece.

For reference:
B18D10FE-410F-47BA-BFDE-A00DD5D491AE.jpeg

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I may not be understanding you entirely but if you are looking to remove the side panel you will have to remove the basically everything else in the trunk to do so. The top plastic bit and fabric are one whole piece.

For reference:
Oh FFS. Why BMW, WHY?!

Thanks for the information. I do appreciate it.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yea it confused me too at first, then I realized it's all one piece basically. :-/
So check this out:

I was watching the install video again for the harness bar and noticed that Ben very clearly has the hard plastic trim pieces detached from the carpet material on both sides of the boot. So there has to be a way to do it, I just can't figure out the clip without a fear of breaking it, because access and visibility are limited. I may just run it by my dealership (they're one of the good ones) and ask the service and/or parts departments.

EDIT: Instead of dealing with Toyota, I reached out to Ben to see if he had any pointers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Ok, I got everything out, installed the harness bar (which I will post pictures of), put some stuff back in, then decided just to remove the interior entirely. So instead of posting a new thread I thought I would revive this one. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to take out this panel, which is holding the two large pieces of carpet on the sides of the trunk:

PXL_20221010_193039027 - Copy.jpg

I've removed the two plastic lock push and pull screw thingies and the two metal screws. I see there are two bolts that from what I can tell hold the latch for the trunk, and not this body panel, and I'm hoping isn't the key to this because I really don't want to have to realign everything. It's being held on by something at the top - maybe around where it curves. Any pointers? Have I just not pulled it hard enough yet?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Take a look at my picture above, there are 4 slots on the top edge that hold that piece in place. You’ll have to peel back the rubber weather stripping to pull straight up on that piece. And you are correct, those two bolts have nothing to do with this panel, thankfully.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Take a look at my picture above, there are 4 slots on the top edge that hold that piece in place. You’ll have to peel back the rubber weather stripping to pull straight up on that piece. And you are correct, those two bolts have nothing to do with this panel, thankfully.
Excellent! Thank you for this pointer. This is exactly what I was missing. Going to go wrestle with this here in about an hour.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Excellent! Thank you for this pointer. This is exactly what I was missing. Going to go wrestle with this here in about an hour.
Absolutely! You always feel much more confident pulling on plastic when you have a better idea of which direction to pull. That being said, my butthole STILL quivers any time I do it.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Absolutely! You always feel much more confident pulling on plastic when you have a better idea of which direction to pull. That being said, my butthole STILL quivers any time I do it.
For sure. In this case, I'm not super worried about breaking it, but I sure would like to get it out in one piece so I can sell it to someone who did. 😆

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
For that rear panel, check out the thread on removing the ASD amp, I remember there were some photos on removing that.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
PXL_20221011_190530342 - Copy.jpg

Thanks fam (@J29DB03)! Popped right out, just like you said, when peeling back the gasket material and pulling up with a good bit of force. Now just need to remove the trim on the liftgate and then I can work on the speakers.

So, it's been a while, but here are pics of the Ben Hochman harness bar (powder coated matte black):

PXL_20221011_202013410 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20221011_202023232 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20221011_202032952 - Copy.jpg

The thing is built to millimeter precision and high quality. It is expensive. Ben was absolutely awesome to work with and sent pics and video of the fabrication throughout the process. When compared to something like the Cusco harness bar, it's night and day. However, because of the way it slots into place, it's significantly more difficult to install and requires the removal of a bunch of different interior panels. Due to this, it makes it difficult to recommend unless you're removing your interior anyway either permanently or are working on another project. Or you're a masochist. Had I known how difficult it was to install, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.

For reference:
Did you manage to expose your seatbelt retractor at all? I've got a bad rattle coming form that area, and I'm having a hard time removing the plastic surrounding the assembly.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Did you manage to expose your seatbelt retractor at all? I've got a bad rattle coming form that area, and I'm having a hard time removing the plastic surrounding the assembly.
I sure did. This piece slides up (separating it from the piece below) and towards the front of the car. (separating it from the piece shown in the original post in this thread). Of all of the panels I removed, this was the most difficult and required the most force.

monkahead

First Name
Artur
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV MY23 B48B20 (30i)
The top plastic bit and fabric are one whole piece.
Well, it seems to be one piece but apparently looking at the pictures it can be separated, fabric from upper plastic part. How to do it? I'd like to install OEM tie down hooks 66311-WAA01 and bracket set tether anchors 73708-WAA01. Maybe someone has already installed them and can share a picture? I believe they go into the threaded holes pointed by arrow, right?

Supra trunk fabric.jpg
Sponsored