Replacement or Pop-Out?

cookiepushers

First Name
Shake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey yall, I got backed into by a truck (broad daylight) and he left me with this, not that major but not that pretty right in the front. At the scene (Midtown, Atlanta) we both said we'd explore options and I was suggesting a replacement. He was saying he could get it popped out and repainted for $800.

What do you guys recommend?

image1 (4).jpeg

image0 (8).jpeg
Sponsored

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
If the painter is good, then pop and paint.
Looks like a fairly flat area, should be an easy fix for a tech.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
He thinks the entire bumper can be professionally repainted for 800 bucks and correctly paint matched?

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
I would shop around. Get an honest appraisal from a reputable place, preferably one that warranties their work. If they say replace it, then replace it.

Difficult to say without seeing the underside of the dent, it might be a simple pop, sand, fill, etc and paint. But if the material is stretched too much or too thin, then replacement is the only real option.

Only a body tech will be able to tell you that, but looking a bit closer at the damage it looks like it's cracked and should be fully replaced.

Shopping around, new bumpers are anywhere from $500-$800 based on a quick google search. Might even get lucky with paint that is well matched.

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
My advice
Get your insurance involved
Demand OEM parts and paint
File a diminished value claim
Best advice here. The dude screwed up and hit your car. Go for what benefits you the most in this shitty situation. Don't let the dumbass with the truck dictate how this goes.

OP
OP
cookiepushers

cookiepushers

First Name
Shake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My advice
Get your insurance involved
Demand OEM parts and paint
File a diminished value claim

Okay its my first time in a situation like this and I did not know you can demand oem parts and paint. That was my biggest hesitation with going through insurance. Super helpful, thank you!

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I'd be happy the guy stayed and had a reasonable conversation about the issue. We're all human right. Only thing we can choose is to be civil or an ass. I'd be inclined to work with him to avoid anyone tapping their insurance. But you do want to pick the shop and the technique. If its more than he wants to spend then call insurance.

OP
OP
cookiepushers

cookiepushers

First Name
Shake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd be happy the guy stayed and had a reasonable conversation about the issue. We're all human right. Only thing we can choose is to be civil or an ass. I'd be inclined to work with him to avoid anyone tapping their insurance. But you do want to pick the shop and the technique. If its more than he wants to spend then call insurance.
Don't get me wrong, I was happy he stopped and was understanding- he kept on saying "it's such a nice car" but finding the right shop out here hasn't been easy. I've gotten quotes in the 2000 to 3500 range for replacement, install, and paint and that feels like a lot- or am i wrong?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Don't get me wrong, I was happy he stopped and was understanding- he kept on saying "it's such a nice car" but finding the right shop out here hasn't been easy. I've gotten quotes in the 2000 to 3500 range for replacement, install, and paint and that feels like a lot- or am i wrong?
That feels about right, honestly.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
800 wouldn't get you a proper detail anymore let alone that... low side 1800, high side 2500-3k. New bumper, painting, matching, install, aligning it, and who knows what clips are broken inside. and now you have a car with paint work.

OP
OP
cookiepushers

cookiepushers

First Name
Shake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay wow.. Looks like I'm going to call geico today bc I don't think he wants to spend more than 1200 on it.

Has anybody had any experience filing a diminished value claim?
Sponsored