• Total voters

speaser

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT SE, 2019 TRD 4runner
Manual says not to exceed 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles.

I'm at 600 miles and reallllly wanting to uncork this beast.

What have you done (or will you do) with your new Supras???
Sponsored

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
The first two days I had it I babied it with the intention of taking it slow but after that let it rip lol

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I didn't really follow it, but also didn't hoon the shit out of the car during the 1200 miles. I tried to put a wide variety of load on the engine, which pretty much just meant driving it normally without paying attention to RPM combined with some spirited driving here and there and a big pull every once in a while.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Whatever you decideā€¦ let the car warm up before you hammer it and let it cool down for a few before you shut it off. Your motor will thank you later.
I seem to recall someone telling me that you don't need to do the cool down (although I still give it 30 seconds sometimes because I'm paranoid).

I have noticed the engine fans will keep running every once in a while after shutting off the engine and leaving the car, I assume to cool it down to safe temperatures. I think this was more of a thing with older turbo cars that didn't have fancy BMW computers to protect the engine.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I seem to recall someone telling me that you don't need to do the cool down (although I still give it 30 seconds sometimes because I'm paranoid).

I have noticed the engine fans will keep running every once in a while after shutting off the engine and leaving the car, I assume to cool it down to safe temperatures. I think this was more of a thing with older turbo cars that didn't have fancy BMW computers to protect the engine.
~ Yeah when itā€™s ticking and pingingā€¦ I donā€™t feel comfortable shutting it down immediately. Just me. šŸ¤Ŗ

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I didn't really follow it, but also didn't hoon the shit out of the car during the 1200 miles. I tried to put a wide variety of load on the engine, which pretty much just meant driving it normally without paying attention to RPM combined with some spirited driving here and there and a big pull every once in a while.
This. Varying load, including occasional WOT pulls, are good for a fresh engine. 9k miles on my 2021 with zero oil consumption.

humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
This exactly, the car sees varied loads every day during its normal life. There is nothing special happening during the first 1200miles. Old world ā€œbed inā€ thoery is just dogma now. Our manufacturing, materials, and engineering tolerances have removed the roughness and inconsistency of a guy out in his shed. With modern manufacturing, modern materials, modern design the only thing that matters is any mechanic system should be treated gently until at operating temperature with appropriate service and maintenance.

Source: Work for a CAD and Simulation software provider for nearly all the worlds automotive and industrial machine builders.

Edit to add: ā€˜21 with 29,000 miles, no notifications from from the car between 5,000mile old intervals with very spirited driving.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I followed the manual. Still burn some oil. Still a good idea to respect the break in period

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Haha canā€™t wait till Toyota replaces my motor. It blew up after they tried rebuilding it to combat oil consumption. Now Iā€™m gonna give it a proper break in the previous owner did not.

from what Iā€™ve gathered, owners who drive it like they stole it from day one donā€™t have oil consumption issues on those 21ā€™ cars.

Insomniac

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Premium GR
Manual says not to exceed 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles.

I'm at 600 miles and reallllly wanting to uncork this beast.

What have you done (or will you do) with your new Supras???
Mine said 5k miles and under 100 MPH for 1200 miles. I just hit 1200 about a week ago.

Richard

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
The reason the manual says this is for legal reasons. They donā€™t want you to wrap it around a tree and then sue them for not telling you to drive it carefully.

Modern engines break in very quickly, usually just a handful of miles. Drive the car, let it warm up always, donā€™t idle or sit in traffic for the first handful of miles and enjoy the car.

My car was tuned on flex fuel with a DP with 500 miles on it and burns zero oil with 6k miles. The best thing you can do is use the rev range and engine brake aggressively for the first 50 miles or so.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/dispelling-engine-break-in-myths-with-high-performance-academy/

https://auto.jepistons.com/blog/how-to-break-in-an-engine

https://www.us.mahle.com/media/usa/motorsports/mms-break-in-recommended-procedure-web.pdf

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
2021 with supposed oil consumption issues. I've been beating on this car since the original test drive where the car had 6 miles on it. I drive 90% Sport Mode and very spiritedly every time I take it out. I completely ignored the break in period from day 1. My car has 6661 miles on it as of today, it's not my daily, and I've had 0 oil consumption issues. My car is E40 tuned as well.
Sponsored