First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
fr tho is it bad for the car? Or is this somehow better?
no its not bad for the car. these are meant to reduce movement in the drivtrain package that would result in weird torquing angles under heavy acceleration. Which can break other things.
Sponsored

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Coming from a background in noise/vibration/shock mounts, I would say there is a chance it could be bad for the car. Mounts serve more than one purpose, one of which is to absorb drivetrain shock. Truly no offense to Twisted or any other vendor, but I doubt any of them has ever seen a transmissibility curve, let alone understand one. I wouldn't put these or any aftermarket tranny/engine mounts on my car.
No offense taken.

the main reason for the mounts being so soft from OEM is simply driver and passenger comfort. the drivetrain moving less under high torque loads is FAR less damaging than the Drivetrain torquing (moving) heavily then snapping back in place. These mounts are for increased performance via reducing drivetrain slop from engine making more power than the OEM mounts were designed for where they literally split and come apart. They are not for everyone. Replacing mounts is NOTHING new, and has been being done longer than most of us have been alive.

Reactions: zrk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
They are being worked on. Had to make some prototype changes from the last version.
I'd like to inquire about an expected release date for the motor mounts being prototyped? I've yearned for this part since the day I got the car and could feel how soft the stock motor mounts appear to be. The engine torque when shifting and on sudden power delivery/off power lifting is rediculous. I would like to buy these transmission mounts as well, but am waiting until the motor mounts are available as well so I can do them all at once.

You looking for someone to test them on the street and track? I'd like to humbly offer my services. I will even pay a premium for the prototype component. Please, take my money!

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I'd like to inquire about an expected release date for the motor mounts being prototyped? I've yearned for this part since the day I got the car and could feel how soft the stock motor mounts appear to be. The engine torque when shifting and on sudden power delivery/off power lifting is rediculous. I would like to buy these transmission mounts as well, but am waiting until the motor mounts are available as well so I can do them all at once.

You looking for someone to test them on the street and track? I'd like to humbly offer my services. I will even pay a premium for the prototype component. Please, take my money!
Vargas has billet inserts for the motor mounts. Check 'em out. Deletes the rubber bushing; BMW does the same for their race teams.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vargas has billet inserts for the motor mounts. Check 'em out. Deletes the rubber bushing; BMW does the same for their race teams.
I found 'em just after I posted the above reply to see if anything new had hit the market since I last checked. I will check 'em out - seems like it may fit the bill, though I'd still prefer a solid chunk of metal or polyurethane (and yes I know what that comes along with). Does anyone by chance know if the motor mounts are specific to the design of the A90 Supra or if components advertised for the Z4 will work? May be more options available, just not specifically marketed for our cars.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I found 'em just after I posted the above reply to see if anything new had hit the market since I last checked. I will check 'em out - seems like it may fit the bill, though I'd still prefer a solid chunk of metal or polyurethane (and yes I know what that comes along with). Does anyone by chance know if the motor mounts are specific to the design of the A90 Supra or if components advertised for the Z4 will work? May be more options available, just not specifically marketed for our cars.
Almost anything engine or drivetrain for the G29 Z4 will work with the Supra.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Thraxbert , has your opinion about these changes now that you've lived with them for a while?
Nope, not really. I stand by my original position. I like the visceral feeling they give to the car, but I know there are others who want a smooth and quiet grand touring experience. It really just comes down to how tolerant you are of certain types of NVH. For example, rattles and squeaks drive me crazy. But consistent vibration from solid mounts, a diff, or trans... not a bother because the pitch is low.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Anyone else have this? Iā€™d like to hear more opinions

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Anyone else have this? Iā€™d like to hear more opinions
I tried them a while back in an attempt to reduce wheel hop. I made it about 2 miles into my test drive before I had to turn around and jack the car back up to figure out what on Earth I screwed up. I couldn't find anything, so I went back out for a drive, 2 miles later I turned back around and pulled them back off.

I'm no stranger to NVH, both my WRX and STi have/had stiffer engine mounts, tranny mounts, rear diff bushings, outrigger bushings, shifter bushings, etc. On those there was a slight NVH increase and more gear whine, but it was fine. The tranny mounts on the Supra are on a completely different level. The entire fucking car SHAKES when you're accelerating. It feels like a race car. Like an actual, should never be allowed on the street, race car. I don't recommend it for any kind of street driving, it's insane.

That said, you can buy mine if you want. They were used for <10 miles and still look new.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Instead of creating a new thread I figured I would revive this one. I purchased and received the "upgraded" version of these transmission mounts this past week. They are scheduled to be installed the beginning of July. I noticed the below imperfections on the product when I received them:

PXL_20220611_134232842 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220611_134254119 - Copy.jpg

I reached out to Justin and he said it appeared to be a mold issue, which I agree with, and I should be good to go to install them. I'm worried about these imperfections leading to cracking in the future, especially since I'll be repeatedly be loading these up on the track. For those who have the product, did your mounts look like this? Have any issues? What are other's opinions on this? I can't say I've ever received any bushings or mounts with these kinds of imperfections before for other vehicles. I'm not throwing shade their way, they've been great do work with, just want to get it sorted and need some input from the community.

Either way, looking forward to getting these on the car!

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
Check this video. If all that movement on OEM translates back into the car on the TT mounts that's gonna be insane.

mkv_ppf

First Name
Bar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Nope, not really. I stand by my original position. I like the visceral feeling they give to the car, but I know there are others who want a smooth and quiet grand touring experience. It really just comes down to how tolerant you are of certain types of NVH. For example, rattles and squeaks drive me crazy. But consistent vibration from solid mounts, a diff, or trans... not a bother because the pitch is low.
do you have some videos?

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, and I've since decided to remove them from my car. These are a great choice for people on the track, or customers who only drive in sport mode. But the Supra is my DD and they're a little too rowdy for daily commuting, and I've grown weary of them. I'm changing them out to softer PowerFlex bushings and, if I'm still not happy, will take them back to stock.

To be clear: this is an excellent product, very well made. It's just not a great fit for how my usage of the car has changed.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Iā€™d be worried about the transmission mounting ears if youā€™re on factory engine mounts. On the Getrag 6spd the ears would snap off due to the engine torquing on soft factory engine mounts, all the load is transferred to the mounting ears.

Engine mounts before transmission mounts is the way to go.
Sponsored