Seeking more info on JB4 Map 6 tuning

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
This is a weird post. I can’t tell exactly what was trying to get accomplished..

but personally I’d rather pay someone ~500 then try to learn a new skill on a 20,000$ engine.. and I’m a cheap ass
Sponsored

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
This is a weird post. I can’t tell exactly what was trying to get accomplished..

but personally I’d rather pay someone ~500 then try to learn a new skill on a 20,000$ engine.. and I’m a cheap ass
The point of my post is that the resources and knowledge to dial in a Map 6 are not available on this forum, and they should be. Map 6 is not like creating a flash tune from scratch... It's supposed to be DIY-able. If you'd rather have someone else experienced do it, Jesse is probably your guy.

No doubt that he knows more about this platform than me. I just want the opportunity to learn for myself.

Here's the thread I used to teach myself: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/jb4-logging-stacking-and-map-6-discussion.338532/

See how there are some "gurus" (shoutout Diggs) who review logs and offer advice to get things running right. I couldn't find the equivalent resource for my Supra.

Last edited:

Flann-man

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Subaru Outback XT. 23 A91-MT CU Later
Have you been to the jb4tech forums?

That’s where I started researching on how to read the logs and also see where others have done things that aren’t good before making the same mistakes.
Also I’ve been reading through this sticky several times (I am having trouble memorizing what all the parameters actually mean). Yes it’s not for a B58, but for basics it works. And it sounds like you have a good approach to self tuning, so those forums could get you pointed in the right direction for the B58 + JB4.

https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...g-review-ab/4229-jb4-duty-bias-ff-tuning-info

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Tuning a car isn't rocket science. With a JB4 it's even simpler because there's just a few parameters to take care of. That being said, I've been too lazy to begin tov look into it myself though I really would like to. If I were regularly changing parts on the car so that I had to keep re-tuning or had a bunch of friends that needed help, I would probably look more into it. If I were to toss on my JB4 and have a tune done on it, it should be good forever, theoretically. For me, that's not worth learning the entire platform.
As for the rest of OPs comments, I just came from a platform where everything was open and shared. It was really cool to have the best in the business openly and willingly helping others to tune their own cars. There were still people doing actual tunes, But there was more than enough information to do it ourselves. There is, literally, a step-by-step guide on how to tune a car using open source software. Awesome stuff.
Maybe our cars will get to that point eventually. It usually happens when people are done making money and move on to newer platforms. After that, nobody seems to mind sharing information.
Will be interesting to see. Maybe I'll even be around that long.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Have you been to the jb4tech forums?

That’s where I started researching on how to read the logs and also see where others have done things that aren’t good before making the same mistakes.
Also I’ve been reading through this sticky several times (I am having trouble memorizing what all the parameters actually mean). Yes it’s not for a B58, but for basics it works. And it sounds like you have a good approach to self tuning, so those forums could get you pointed in the right direction for the B58 + JB4.

https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model...g-review-ab/4229-jb4-duty-bias-ff-tuning-info
Thats a good thread. I think its safe to say if someone cant get down the basics based on that, they shouldnt be attempting to tune a JB4. But there is also more to it with our cars. You have to look at how much the throttle blade is closing, how much timing is getting pulled and what your fuel trims look like.

Kaitain

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Jesse has been nothing short of awesome. I was looking at getting an exhaust an a tune. Unfortunately I live in Komifornia and we have (mostly) 91 octane gas. He let me know I wouldn’t get much improvement versus map 1. I’ve since done some research and found a few 93 octane and also 100 octane race gas that I can buy. We chatted some more, and came to the conclusion that (when I’m ready) he would do a 100 octane map 6. I also added a charge pipe recently with 2 bungs for Meth injection. So, now I have to figure out if I want to add that as well. Anyways, Jesse could have easily taken my money, tuned me on Map 6 with 91 octane, but he advised I wait for 93/100 for much more improvement and took the no payment. Well worth every penny just from a stand up point in my book. Oh yeah, the exhaust I bought off his website was cheaper then other sites and came in perfect.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thread Revive! After fooling around with the JB+ a few months, I've just had a JB4 delivered yesterday.

Since the purpose of this thread was general Map 6 questions, I'll start:

I am looking to shift my Map 6 from a 93 Oct tune to a 93/E30 tune. When adding E, I know I need to watch the fuel trims.

1. In my GTI, staying under 40 for fuel trims was considered pretty safe. What is that value on this platform?
  2. Based on the previous question, if my fuel trims are too high, can I raise the FOL value to drop the trims? If so, what range of values are OK?
  3. Again, in the GTI, boost safety was typically set 2 psi over the max map 6 psi. Is that consistent with the Supra?

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Instead of asking forum members, I strongly recommend you work with BMS on map 6.

While its got so many benefits, working on Map 6 is dangerous, and a small mistake can cause a lot of damages.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Instead of asking forum members, I strongly recommend you work with BMS on map 6.

While its got so many benefits, working on Map 6 is dangerous, and a small mistake can cause a lot of damages.
BMS got an email about my question too, will share their feedback.

Based on Jesse's earlier comments in the thread, I should be OK if I keep a boost safety for WGDC issues and watch trims carefully for leaning-out issues. I'm not a stranger to Map 6 JB4, just on this platform.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
BMS got an email about my question too, will share their feedback.

Based on Jesse's earlier comments in the thread, I should be OK if I keep a boost safety for WGDC issues and watch trims carefully for leaning-out issues. I'm not a stranger to Map 6 JB4, just on this platform.
:thumbsup:

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
i think it's cool that you're doing this! i stalked forums for about 9 months before i actually got my car, so i want to share, i don't think you'll be getting answers on here.. you really might be alone on this

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
i think it's cool that you're doing this! i stalked forums for about 9 months before i actually got my car, so i want to share, i don't think you'll be getting answers on here.. you really might be alone on this
Appreciate it. I really enjoy JB4 DIY stuff and datalogging, so hopefully we can make the knowledge about it more public.

For obvious reasons, those who are knowledgeable will not be sharing any info.

I'll be posting Datazaps of 93 and E maps soon and when I feel comfortable with this platform, I am more than happy to review logs.

Josh George

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Appreciate it. I really enjoy JB4 DIY stuff and datalogging, so hopefully we can make the knowledge about it more public.

For obvious reasons, those who are knowledgeable will not be sharing any info.

I'll be posting Datazaps of 93 and E maps soon and when I feel comfortable with this platform, I am more than happy to review logs.
More power to you bro! I went to tech school and we had a couple weeks learning and tuning various cars, so I have also wanted to learn about tuning my own car via my JB4. (Although I will go through Jesse at first LOL bc I don't wanna blow my car up) But I definitely will be watching this thread!! This is such a fun platform and who knows, maybe you'll even master it and jump into Ecutek or BM3/MHD!!
Sponsored