Seeking more info on JB4 Map 6 tuning

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
Well, you guys know I like to s***-stir a little bit around here, so here's Terry Burger's response to questioning the lack of Map 6 resources on this forum:

Yes, he's a founder of Burger Tuning and inventor of the JB4 on the BMW platform.
Screenshot_20230803_145518.jpg
Screenshot_20230803_145541.jpg

Cheers to these guys for doing free Map 6 tuning for simply buying the product. Lets not pretend that anyone knows better than the guy who invented the piggyback tuner.

pls no ban
Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know Burger is a Tiny shop with a handful of guys who don't actually tune anything... There are most definitely people who know better.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as I know Burger is a Tiny shop with a handful of guys who don't actually tune anything... There are most definitely people who know better.
I can't speak for the size of the operation they have, but I assure you that they tune. There's a lot going on under the hood of the JB4 that would require tuning expertise to even get the device functional. For example, each JB4 model has a predetermined FF curve (wastegate position target essentially) that would require dyno time to create. People like Jesse are proficient in adjusting this predetermined curve for a specific car, through FF gain and Duty cycle when the WG adaption is subpar.

I really am not sure why there's a disconnect in expertise between Burger and Jesse. It could just be that Jesse is willing to do more iterations to get it perfect, since you get what you pay for. Jesse has no doubt spent considerably more time looking at Supra logs than anyone at Burger too.

Last edited:

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I really am not sure why there's a disconnect
Burger builds a piggy back tuner for many makes and models of cars. Jesse has experience with the Supra. Most people historically have a better tuning experience with a tuner focused on a specific car.

Capture.PNG

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
I can't speak for the size of the operation they have, but I assure you that they tune. There's a lot going on under the hood of the JB4 that would require tuning expertise to even get the device functional. For example, each JB4 model has a predetermined FF curve (wastegate position essentially) that would require dyno time to create. People like Jesse are proficient in adjusting this predetermined curve for a specific car, through FF gain and Duty cycle.

I really am not sure why there's a disconnect in expertise between Burger and Jesse. It could just be that Jesse is willing to do more iterations to get it perfect, since you get what you pay for. Jesse has no doubt spent considerably more time looking at Supra logs than anyone at Burger too.
Jesse probably has experience with over a hundred cars by now.. Is $650 really worth experimenting with this on your own car if you don't plan to make an income off this?

As far as I can tell, JB4 makes MT supras drive like crap... Even with burger's experts making the maps.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Burger builds a piggy back tuner for many makes and models of cars. Jesse has experience with the Supra. Most people historically have a better tuning experience with a tuner focused on a specific car.
True, but Terry specifically has been tuning turbo 6 cyl BMWs for over 15 years.

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
True, but Terry specifically has been tuning turbo 6 cyl BMWs for over 15 years.
I ran a JB4 on my F80M3, had first delivery and back then the tuning options were limited. After about 5k miles, lots of high rpm misfire/spark blow out. Never will I touch a piggyback system again.

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I ran a JB4 on my F80M3, had first delivery and back then the tuning options were limited. After about 5k miles, lots of high rpm misfire/spark blow out. Never will I touch a piggyback system again.
Bummer, sorry to hear that.

Does BMS recommend re-gapping plugs for S55? Or going 1 step colder?

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW

I donā€™t recall at the time, I had first delivery and installed the jb4 right after break in period. Kept getting spark blow out at the track, I ended up gapping the plugs to help with the blow out.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Pinch off topic butā€¦ wanted to ask youā€¦ since youā€™re mega friendly on this forum as well. Younger buddy has a 2020 that was unlocked and has a bootmod3 tune. Lives in Miami & been to lots of shops trying to fix it. They keep trying to work backwards and find the problem of overheating (limp mode on track). To me the problem is simple. Turn that shat all off (back to stock šŸ˜‚ - if possible) because we can all drive on the track w/out any tune.

Any advice or place to go to get a real solution w/out trying to sell the car?

He can drive on the street. Itā€™s faster. No problem. So it did the job for the previous owner. However, heā€™s got the track bug šŸ› instead. Hence the dilemma šŸ˜¬

racebuild

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Pinch off topic butā€¦ wanted to ask youā€¦ since youā€™re mega friendly on this forum as well. Younger buddy has a 2020 that was unlocked and has a bootmod3 tune. Lives in Miami & been to lots of shops trying to fix it. They keep trying to work backwards and find the problem of overheating (limp mode on track). To me the problem is simple. Turn that shat all off (back to stock šŸ˜‚ - if possible) because we can all drive on the track w/out any tune.

Any advice or place to go to get a real solution w/out trying to sell the car?

He can drive on the street. Itā€™s faster. No problem. So it did the job for the previous owner. However, heā€™s got the track bug šŸ› instead. Hence the dilemma šŸ˜¬
He should try the stock mppsk map for the track if heā€™s overheating. Does he have any logs?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
He should try the stock mppsk map for the track if heā€™s overheating. Does he have any logs?
Iā€™m sure. Could he PM you with them for advice? And thx!

OP
OP
ColonelAdama

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally installed the JB4 tonight. Less than an hour install, taking my time, plenty of zipties.

What I didn't realize... is that the app pairs a JB4 unit to only one app user at a time. If you buy a pre-owned JB4, and they haven't unlinked the app, you can't actually connect to your own JB4. No changing maps or custom settings. Update: just got fixed, just email the JB4 mobile a screenshot of the error.

Also, the exhaust flap was wide open at cold start. I played with the whole "BC" thing, but when I put it in auto, flap stayed closed in sport mode anyway. Probably something I can fix when connected.

That aside, previous owner's Map 6 is killer already:cool: Can't wait to get the app sorted out to get started tuning.

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Put the jb4 in whatever exhaust flap mode you want, then restart the car. Should work just fine after that. I had the same issue. Contact burger for the license reset as well.
Sponsored