SOLVED : Misfires and Electrical Issues after Visconti FFK

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Been dealing with some really odd issues the past few months with finalizing an Ecutek Tune after installing a Visconti FFK. Have a ton of codes that would pop up and I’m thinking it’s related to the FFK but unsure. I followed the guide as close as possible. I would really appreciate some guidance from anyone who may have run into the same issues.

Car Details
2021 - 20k Miles Auto ECU was not locked - DP, Intake, trying to tune for Flex Fuel up to E50

I’ll try to keep it brief - I’m on my 20+ revision with my tuner on trying to fix low rpm/idle misfires. I would get misfires in all cylinders without any pattern when giving it a blip of gas at idle. At times it would be stuck misfiring on idle and would have to restart the car in order to stop. The car is drivable above 2k rpm but would feel like it’s sluggish/misfiring when coming to a stop. It would also sometimes have a delay on acceleration when going from a stop. I constantly have running lean DTC pop up from all my revisions and my tuner has no idea what the issue is and has already contacted Ecutek directly on it with no help.

The weirdest part is that I would randomly have my cluster completely turn off on start up - no turn signal functions at all. It would randomly turn back on after driving a bit with the drivetrain malfunction turning on and off. I would also have my minimum/low oil alert pop up even though I know it’s full. Really hard to replicate this issue.

Things I’ve Done to Try to Fix it -
New OEM Spark Plugs
Tested Battery
Repinned FFK back to stock

Attached a screenshot of the codes I’d get when my cluster doesn’t work and a video.

IMG_1397.png

SOLVED:
Error codes were from canbus wiring broken pin - Replaced with new pin from BMW and works perfectly again.

Misfiring - Smoke tested and had a tiny leak on downpipe - Realigned and retorqued
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Yup, these are all CAN codes, and those are the two wires the flex fuel kits ask you to modify in the passenger footwell. This is poor connectivity, loose connections, improper depin/repin, something like this. But it's all in the wiring.

Last edited:

visconti

Silver Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vtune.us
Car(s)
Subaru STi, VR30, S55 M3, GOLF R, Supra A90
Sounds like some of the wiring didn't go back as intended.

I suggest carefully going over the canbus wires and ensure everything is where it should be.

OP
OP
MidnightJZ

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
I’ll recheck again on the wiring and see if I can find the issue.

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
Yup, these are all CAN codes, and those are the two wires the flex fuel kits ask you to modify in the passenger footwell. This is poor connectivity, loose connections, improper depin/repin, something like this. But it's all in the wiring.
Hmm. This is helpful even though I’m in BM3 FFk. No codes or anything, not dash lights ..car runs fine. But be bad sensors. I’d imagine if I did bad job wiring, I’d have some kind of issue. Cuz my sensor is reading 0% ethanol.

OP
OP
MidnightJZ

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Just took out the BCM and the yellow/white wire came straight out without picking it out. It looks like it’s missing the locking tab/piece. The yellow/black wire was fine. Is there a part number where I can get a new piece to put on the wire?

IMG_1402.jpeg

OP
OP
MidnightJZ

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Hmm. This is helpful even though I’m in BM3 FFk. No codes or anything, not dash lights ..car runs fine. But be bad sensors. I’d imagine if I did bad job wiring, I’d have some kind of issue. Cuz my sensor is reading 0% ethanol.
In my situation prior to pinning it back to stock, my ethanol reading read completely fine and accurately. So I didn’t really think of the wiring to be bad at first.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Could be a bad ethanol sensor or a loose connection, but it should read 10% on pump gas.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Could be a bad ethanol sensor or a loose connection, but it should read 10% on pump gas.
Don’t waste your breath. He has been asked multiple times if he has contacted bm3 and he never answers. Guess he thinks it will just magically sort itself out.

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
Don’t waste your breath. He has been asked multiple times if he has contacted bm3 and he never answers. Guess he thinks it will just magically sort itself out.
A lot of assumptions here. Sorry, I have a life outside of these forums and getting the flex kit to work believe it or not is not at the top of my priority list. I have contacted bm3 and they asked me to take pictures of the install. I have not been able to take pictures for them because I have hurt my back and as you may or may not know all the wiring is in the passenger footwell and you have to bend down to the ground and contort your body to gain access to the panels. In the meantime at my leisure and without having to do anything physically involving my back the next best course of action to determine the cause would prolly be surf the net and visit these wonderful forums (which usually have nice people) I’ve been trying to figure out what the other issues it may be outside of the wiring because as I mentioned before I followed them to the T. And thanks to this particular thread I realized it may be a bad sensor, I’m currently waiting for a friend to bring over his ffk and have him swap out the sensor and the black box since it’s the easiest way to rule that out. And if it isn’t that, then it would probably have to be the wiring, in which case we will then take pics of the wiring and send them to bm3 to confirm the incorrect wiring. And worse case my local shop will actually sort it out for me (albeit not magically) because the car still seems to run fine, (which again is why this is not a huge priority) when they install my DAW turbo (whenever it comes in anyways). Thank you for your help before and Happy holidays to you.

OP
OP
MidnightJZ

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
SOLVED : Smoke tested and had a tiny leak on downpipe causing misfires and lean codes - Realigned and retorqued and running perfectly.

EDIT :
Error codes were from canbus wiring broken pin - Replaced with new pin from BMW and works perfectly again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightJZ

MidnightJZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
A leak in the down pipe 1000% didn't cause those issues.
Correct, I added/edited the fix to the electrical issues on the original post and forgot to add it to my last response. It was canbus wiring. I’ll add it now
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk