Start stop 2023 supra

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I tried what others mentioned to do and no dice, I emailed bimmercode support and offered them to pull logs off my car
I'm not sure but if they're anything like most app developers, I don't think they'll care much.

I suggest you go back to your original backups. Remove all coding and then just code the things you know work.. and importantly do not mess with disabling that auto engine off setting - just code the memory function. Also be careful to let it code fully and not be impatient and try to do anything while its "cleaning up" and/or "clearing errors," etc.

I had a brown pants moment when my car flat refused to start after I attempted some coding. After about half an hour of OMFG I killed my brand new car I just reverted back to my very first backup and I was golden.

Now I tend to code one item at a time so I know exactly what the culprit is, if something goes wrong.
Sponsored

FRSBRZGT86FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 BASE
I'm not sure but if they're anything like most app developers, I don't think they'll care much.

I suggest you go back to your original backups. Remove all coding and then just code the things you know work.. and importantly do not mess with disabling that auto engine off setting - just code the memory function. Also be careful to let it code fully and not be impatient and try to do anything while its "cleaning up" and/or "clearing errors," etc.

I had a brown pants moment when my car flat refused to start after I attempted some coding. After about half an hour of OMFG I killed my brand new car I just reverted back to my very first backup and I was golden.

Now I tend to code one item at a time so I know exactly what the culprit is, if something goes wrong.
Bimmercode did respond and told me they are aware of the issue currently on recently built 2023 models with a recent FW :

Coding the start stop memory option does not have any effect on the latest firmware due to changes made by BMW. We are working on a solution, but unfortunately there is no quickfix available for this issue.
As a workaround you could set the car to start in “Sport Individual“ driving mode and this will turn off the start stop function also.

the issue might also be a bug in the BMW software, since not all cars are affected by this firmware update – this one bit-flag that sets the option is just ignored by the control unit. We are aware that it is a important feature, but we cannot promise a timeline unfortunately.

--
Kind regards / Schöne Grüße
Sven Straubinger - Lead Developer

Last edited:

FRSBRZGT86FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 BASE
I would contact Bimmercode support directly by doing a support request through the settings. Been troubleshooting with them, they'll give you access to beta software and such that have some bugs ironed out.

I disabled seatbelt chimes, but yeah auto start/stop memory isn't working + I don't have the BDC option to select start in Sport mode... Been thinking about just unplugging the valve fuse to keep it open 24/7 -- until we go DP or new exhaust

Bimmer code support replied to me that they are aware of the auto start stop memory issue:

Coding the start stop memory option does not have any effect on the latest firmware due to changes made by BMW. We are working on a solution, but unfortunately there is no quickfix available for this issue.
As a workaround you could set the car to start in “Sport Individual“ driving mode and this will turn off the start stop function also.

the issue might also be a bug in the BMW software, since not all cars are affected by this firmware update – this one bit-flag that sets the option is just ignored by the control unit. We are aware that it is a important feature, but we cannot promise a timeline unfortunately.

--

Last edited:

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Bimmercode did respond and told me they are aware of the issue currently on recently built 2023 models with a recent FW
Interesting. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. The coding works on my car which is a MY23, built in February 2023. I'm guessing yours is an even newer build?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
My biggest fear ☝ and that would be my luck. So I just keep her in manual mode and it’s disabled (or mash the button).

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
My biggest fear ☝ and would definitely be my luck. So I just keep her in manual mode on the auto and it’s disabled (or mash the button).
I'm not 100% sure but I coded three things that night. I disabled the auto engine off function, I turned on the auto engine off memory function (I thought this was an obvious dick move, but anyway) and I tried a BMW code I found online to disable the must have clutch pressed to start nanny. I don't know which one (or the combination thereof) did it but after coding, my car just refused to start.. even after re-coding back with the original settings. The only way back was restoring to my very first backup.

It totally put me off coding.. for a day or two. 😂

FRSBRZGT86FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 BASE
Interesting. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. The coding works on my car which is a MY23, built in February 2023. I'm guessing yours is an even newer build?
Mine was built in may I wonder if they changed things on the software or something between February and May

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Bimmercode did respond and told me they are aware of the issue currently on recently built 2023 models with a recent FW :

--
All of this is great info as I've had problems trying to turn off this feature with bimmercode.
At this point, I'm kinda ok with hitting the disable button after I start the car. 😁

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I’m going to turn auto start stop back on, but enable memory only and see if that works. I think it throws up in itself when you turn the function off (which works if you keep it in gear with your foot on the clutch) AND enable the memory. We’ll see.

Every time it turns off I poop a little, then hit the stupid button. Such a dumb function… fairly certain you burn more gas and put more wear and tear on the engine with this dumb thing. All while the diesel trucks sit and idle all night while the drivers sleep. Dumb.
The start stop system was not invented for the long term wellbeing of he engine thats for sure.

Phil

FRSBRZGT86FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 BASE
All of this is great info as I've had problems trying to turn off this feature with bimmercode.
At this point, I'm kinda ok with hitting the disable button after I start the car. 😁
Yea same, sort of in the same vein as not having android auto I'm used to just docking my phone in the proclip mount. Hopefully at some point bimmercode fixes it but I believe that will take some time as the 23 model year software and such need to propagate.

The start stop system was not invented for the long term wellbeing of he engine thats for sure.

Phil
According to the papadakis racing teardown this car can apparently handle it, if I remember correctly the b58 has a coating on the bearings and con rod bearing inserts to handle the stop and starts being repeated. Not that I agree with it or want it long term.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
According to the papadakis racing teardown this car can apparently handle it, if I remember correctly the b58 has a coating on the bearings and con rod bearing inserts to handle the stop and starts being repeated. Not that I agree with it or want it long term.
It's not about bearings it's about the long term affect of cooking engine oil. Stop the engine and stop the oil flow and lose 20% of the cooling and hello heat soaking the engine oil trapped in the high temp parts of the engine like around the exhaust ports and the turbo turbine bearings which starts to cook. Not great long term for an engine continually doing this. Remember the bulk oil temp is just that, the bulk oil and not representative of the oil temp and conditions in the hotter parts of the engine. It's pretty much the same philosophy as 20 weight engine oil, primarily done to meet fuel consumption and emission targets not in the long term interests of the mechanicals. Do Toyota/BMW care about the condition of the engine when it's 10 years old? Answer, no.
Add to that the additional wear and tear on the starter and flywheel ring gear (I know they claim it's upgraded to cope) and it's something I turn off in all 3 of my cars.
Phil

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT

--
Are we sure this is a 'bug' and not BMW changing firmware to keep everyone from buying bimmercode to defeat this environmental nanny feature?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Are we sure this is a 'bug' and not BMW changing firmware to keep everyone from buying bimmercode to defeat this environmental nanny feature?
You would think that if that was the case, a lot more would have been broken after such an update.

FRSBRZGT86FAN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 BASE

it's not effecting everyone so I don't think so
Sponsored