Supra vs C8 Corvette

Which would you rather have

• Total voters

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Wow. Buncha keyboard commandos on this site...unfortunate.
I dont have any issues with anyone. Z8AKU is the one that turns every reply to his comment as personal attacks. I wasnt the one that started calling someone a smart ass when they made valid points. It isnt his first time he attacks other commenters either.
Sponsored

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium - 2018 Lexus LC500 Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
You can't disprove this. You can't argue this. To say that the 2021 Supra doesn't have the B58D would be saying that Toyota is straight up lying.
Toyota did lie. They stated the B58C was making 335hp when it's been proven by empirical evidence to be making closer to 390hp by all accounts of the MY20 dyno charts as well as 0-60 times and ET's from the drag strip videos plastered all over Youtube. I never stated anywhere in this entire thread that the A91 wouldn't have the B58D. I merely pointed out that the A90 whp numbers are the same as the B58D in the M40i.

That Z4 is Euro spec with the B58C aka the same motor as the 2020 Supra. Anyone who's been on these boards already knows that.
Then you should know that the A90 has outperformed the US spec model Z4 M40i both on track and on the dyno to. Lower compression can't win when both motors are running the same boost. ;)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Toyota did lie. They stated the B58C was making 335hp when it's been proven by empirical evidence to be making closer to 390hp by all accounts of the MY20 dyno charts as well as 0-60 times and ET's from the drag strip videos plastered all over Youtube. I never stated anywhere in this entire thread that the A91 wouldn't have the B58D. I merely pointed out that the A90 whp numbers are the same as the B58D in the M40i.

Then you should know that the A90 has outperformed the US spec model Z4 M40i both on track and on the dyno to. Lower compression can't win when both motors are running the same boost. ;)

So what makes you think this time will be different? The higher performing motor will suddenly perform worse when in the Supra as opposed to other BMW models?

Your agreement doesn’t take into account engine tuning and transmission tuning. The Z4 is a GT car and tuned less aggressively. This is very common among many manufacturers since cars are designed to fit different roles, for example my 535i is tuned more for comfort where as a 335i is more sporty/aggressive.

Your argument has absolutely no weight to it. You can continue to be a smart ass but that doesn’t make you right because you added a wink to your post.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So what makes you think this time will be different? The higher performing motor will suddenly perform worse when in the Supra as opposed to other BMW models?
382hp is still 382hp o_O

Your agreement doesn’t take into account engine tuning and transmission tuning. The Z4 is a GT car and tuned less aggressively.
A car can have a different tune on it's ECU with the same block and and variation of internals however, if it's tuned to 382hp it's still 382hp. Difference is in compression though something I think you continue to overlook. The higher compression on a turbo motor doesn't need as much boost to make the same power and torque, has virtually no turbo lag and makes more power on bottom end which is what most people want for the streets. Most of us have had the low compression 1,000hp dyno queen that takes 15 seconds to spool and still runs an 11 second 1/4 mile. They're completely useless on the streets. The BMW Z4 is not a grand touring car either, it's a sports car.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
382hp is still 382hp o_O

A car can have a different tune on it's ECU with the same block and and variation of internals however, if it's tuned to 382hp it's still 382hp. Difference is in compression though something I think you continue to overlook. The higher compression on a turbo motor doesn't need as much boost to make the same power and torque, has virtually no turbo lag and makes more power on bottom end which is what most people want for the streets. Most of us have had the low compression 1,000hp dyno queen that takes 15 seconds to spool and still runs an 11 second 1/4 mile. They're completely useless on the streets. The BMW Z4 is not a grand touring car either, it's a sports car.

Are you purposely obtuse for sake of internet arguments? In dyno tests, cars with the 382hp B58D like the M340i and Z4 make more horsepower than cars with the 335hp B58C like the Supra. Simple as that.

I understand what youre saying about compression but that argument only works on motors that are exactly the same otherwise. Yes putting a thicker headgasket on a B58C would make the motor less responsive than it was stock. But this isn't the case here and why it is clear your argument is pulled directly from where the sun don't shine. You can keep throwing around compression ratio but it isn't the sole variable here. This says nothing about turbo differences, airflow differences, boost differences, cylinder airflow characteristics, valve timing differences, valve lift differences, etc.

Why do you think Toyota/BMW/Magna Steyr is going through the trouble of changing the motor for no gains? Why is the 382hp version not going to regions with more strict emission laws like Europe? Why even develop the B58D if it makes the same power but less environmentally friendly than the B58C? Why is Toyota reporting a quicker 0-60 and quarter mile time if the car doesn't make any more power?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Are you purposely obtuse for sake of internet arguments? In dyno tests, cars with the 382hp B58D like the M340i and Z4 make more horsepower than cars with the 335hp B58C like the Supra. Simple as that.

I understand what youre saying about compression but that argument only works on motors that are exactly the same otherwise. Yes putting a thicker headgasket on a B58C would make the motor less responsive than it was stock. But this isn't the case here and why it is clear your argument is pulled directly from where the sun don't shine. You can keep throwing around compression ratio but it isn't the sole variable here. This says nothing about turbo differences, airflow differences, boost differences, cylinder airflow characteristics, valve timing differences, valve lift differences, etc.

Why do you think Toyota/BMW/Magna Steyr is going through the trouble of changing the motor for no gains? Why is the 382hp version not going to regions with more strict emission laws like Europe? Why even develop the B58D if it makes the same power but less environmentally friendly than the B58C? Why is Toyota reporting a quicker 0-60 and quarter mile time if the car doesn't make any more power?
Just give up and ignore him. You're talking to a door knob. He doesnt understand that the the 382 on the 2021 can also be under rated like the 335 was on the 2020.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You missed the point entirely. The B58D in the 2020 Z4 M40i is running a larger turbo and a higher factory boost pressure than the B58C in the A90 MKV Supra. If we were to place the exact turbo and run the exact boost pressure as the B58D on the B58C it would make more power and torque. Compression wins this debate. Heads and manifold of the B58D will help with flow about 3% over however that's not where the major power is being made on these blocks, it's coming from boost.

I understand what youre saying about compression but that argument only works on motors that are exactly the same otherwise.
Precisely! So given that the B58D has a larger factory turbo and is factory set to a higher boost pressure is the only reason for the variable between the two engines in regards to horse power ratings being pushed on the net. The B58C will never have to run as much boost nor will it ever experience the lag of the B58D, and it will make it's torque earlier in the rpm band (sweet spots). If we were to run a Pure 800 turbo on both a B58C and a B58D with the same fuel and boost pressure the B58C is going to make more power period, despite the B58D have a traditional manifold and different head.

Operational costs silly. It's cheaper and more profitable. When you run a business some day you will understand LOL.

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just give up and ignore him. You're talking to a door knob. He doesnt understand that the the 382 on the 2021 can also be under rated like the 335 was on the 2020.
Jordan Tsang don't you have some shoes to go collect?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
You missed the point entirely. The B58D in the 2020 Z4 M40i is running a larger turbo and a higher factory boost pressure than the B58C in the A90 MKV Supra. If we were to place the exact turbo and run the exact boost pressure as the B58D on the B58C it would make more power and torque. Compression wins this debate. Heads and manifold of the B58D will help with flow about 3% over however that's not where the major power is being made on these blocks, it's coming from boost.

Precisely! So given that the B58D has a larger factory turbo and is factory set to a higher boost pressure is the only reason for the variable between the two engines in regards to horse power ratings being pushed on the net. The B58C will never have to run as much boost nor will it ever experience the lag of the B58D, and it will make it's torque earlier in the rpm band (sweet spots). If we were to run a Pure 800 turbo on both a B58C and a B58D with the same fuel and boost pressure the B58C is going to make more power period, despite the B58D have a traditional manifold and different head.

Operational costs silly. It's cheaper and more profitable. When you run a business some day you will understand LOL.
Lol what a joke, you can't change your point, reiterate my point, and then tell me I missed the point. You win buddy

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Lol what a joke, you can't change your point, reiterate my point, and then tell me I missed the point. You win buddy
Wow get this clown a trophy and a gold star. At least you can feel like you won something in life. Automotive forums deadlier than Covid-19

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I wouldn't put it that way, there's no need to insult door knobs like that

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase