The Drive: Toyota Supra Sales Plunged Nearly 50 Percent in 2023

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Side question...has anyone even seen the new Z out in the wild? Havnt come across any articles stating how dismall the Z sales have been. I have yet to see one in Washington. Dealer markups are what is killing sales.
I saw my first in the wild Z a couple of weeks back here in NovA.
Sponsored

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Side question...has anyone even seen the new Z out in the wild? Havnt come across any articles stating how dismall the Z sales have been. I have yet to see one in Washington. Dealer markups are what is killing sales.
There it is! Nissan paid the media extra to slander the Supra.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
There it is! Nissan paid the media extra to slander the Supra.
Well, at least we know where they are spending their money. Lawd knows it isn't on developing a decent Z.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I've seen one on the street.. thing was ugly with what almost looked like sedan tires all tucked in and all. Why someone would spend money on that quarter-assed garbage no one knows.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
It's nuts that you had to dedicate that much time and effort. It begs the question, what's the point of the dealer network then?

I shared my experience for two points:

One, any drop in sales is probably not due to demand as 6MTs don't even make it to dealer floors. It is probably atttibuted to a mix of producing more ATs or a reduction in overall production entirely.

Two, the lack of inventory and the dealer markup experience is keeping buyers out of the market. I shouldn't have to make a part-time job of calling dealerships across the nation to have the privilege of waiting in line for a non-confirmed allocation and THEN pay an additional markup because the dealer wants one.

The dealer network "was" historically necessary because they take on the risk of holding and managing inventory for the manufacturer, including offering service. If the dealer's job now is to sit on deposits and call me whenever something comes in AND add a markup because they feel like it, then it sounds like the dealer offers no value and I should be able to purchase directly from Toyota, no? As it sits now, it makes me feel like a sucker being taken advantage of by unnecessary middlemen.
Absolutely agree. And I work a high pressure, finance, investment job 10-12 hour days and it felt like I obtained a part time job trying to find this damn car. It's one heck of a fun car don't get me wrong, but with that amount of effort, I could have discovered the cure for cancer. My issue was I refused to pay the $5k, $10k or even $15k markups I was getting over the phone. I resisted and it worked out for me out of pure luck, but the amount of effort was overwhelming. The dealership markups definitely will kill the MKV just like the MKIV was discontinued after sales plummet its last several years. History will repeat itself.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
One of my neighbors a couple blocks away has one in that yellow (launch?) color. Aside from him, I've only seen one other one in the wild here in Southern California. Strange now that you mention it.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I haven't seen a single Z in my city. I thought it was kinda weird, but sounds like that's how it is just about everywhere.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
OP
OP
type-964

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
No Zs observed in the wild for me either. It boggles my mind how much of a break the press seems to give that car. Such a half-assed refresh.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
I have seen a few, white, gray, red, black

They look pretty nice in RL!

If you view it as a "restomod" car, rather than a modern car, I think it's perfectly acceptable. Wish Nissan had more time to develop it to make it a better car. Performance wise is way below any modern sports car.

Kroberter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91MT Supra, 95 Rx7,67 Corvette 427ci
I’m pleased. We all own what is turning out to be a low production car that’s an absolute joy to drive, own and modify.
We gonna be rolling these babies across collector auctions in 2040 asking $2.5 mill. I can hear the announcers now “we have an unprecedented partnership between BMW and Toyota crossing the block, the final manual combustion Supra; the online bids are going crazy as the reserve is now lifted”

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
We gonna be rolling these babies across collector auctions in 2040 asking $2.5 mill. I can hear the announcers now “we have an unprecedented partnership between BMW and Toyota crossing the block, the final manual combustion Supra; the online bids are going crazy as the reserve is now lifted”
IMG_2351.gif

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I’m pleased. We all own what is turning out to be a low production car that’s an absolute joy to drive, own and modify.
buyer note it will require a retroactive annual $150k service immediately upon winning and then its current interval after delivery
Sponsored