The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
They've certainly got the money to do it and we know that at least one MKV prototype has been photographed with a stick-shift gearbox, so... ;)
Really?Do you have any photos to share?
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
You know... I donā€™t know about other SC owners but personally I never sought validation from the MKIV crowd for owning one with an MKIV TT engine dropped in. Itā€™s NOT an A80 after all and I have never assumed or claimed that it was. Theyā€™re obviously not the same cars.

However Iā€™ve done my fair share of wrenching and electrical on this platform. Though not 100% the same theyā€™re mechanically and electrically similar enough to do what Iā€™ve done using near exclusively off the shelf Toyota parts.

But hey, what do I know? Iā€™m just someone enjoying a near invisible Lexus coupe that surely doesnā€™t have the MKIV TT (no, not Aristo) engine that I think it does and who also is a long time fan of the A70 Twin Turbo Rā€™s, A80 TTā€™s and who is also looking forward to the A90.

Itā€™s on Toyota if they want to release a new Supra with specs that actually without question match or exceed the A80 6-speed Export cars. Weā€™ll know soon, wonā€™t we?

Supra Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supras
Be careful using big words in your posts bud, you might trip over yourself. Must be all that MKIV testosterone that is giving you a superiority complex. Enjoy it while it lasts...:D.
After reading the posts you've made, it honestly seems like you're the one with the biggest issues trying to prove somehow your otherwise inferior complex. You've been stirring the MKIV vs MKV pot for some time now. Sure seems like you are trying to compensate for something. Carry on ..

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Really?Do you have any photos to share?
I canā€™t get the permalink to copy correctly from my phone but if you follow this link to another older thread on the forums youā€™ll see pictures of an MKV or Z4 prototype with a manual transmission.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/2020-supra-transmission-chat-manual-dual-clutch-or-auto.370/page-8

The shared chassis platform was R&Dā€™d for a manual. It just remains to be seen what Toyota has finally decided to do with this option.

Previously A70TTR told us that most of the holdup to offering one was making it compatible with TSS 2.0, not that the chassis hadnā€™t been designed with a manual in mind.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
After reading the posts you've made, it honestly seems like you're the one with the biggest issues trying to prove somehow your otherwise inferior complex. You've been stirring the MKIV vs MKV pot for some time now. Sure seems like you are trying to compensate for something. Carry on ..
Haha....ok I will carry on, ā€œSupra Turbo.ā€

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It was a z4 with a manual, no supra
And it was a photo leaked much earlier in the development cycle so itā€™s quite old news now.

The only point is that the co-developed chassis clearly is designed for a manual option as the picture shows.

What Toyota has decided to do with it as a possible offering on the MKV line weā€™ll know in a couple of weeks.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
:coffee:

Awww... You MKV cheerleaders are cute and all with your straw man justifications and circular back-patting. Echoooooo, echoooo, echoo...

From my purview, there's a rather clear and unfortunate bifurcation among the 'enthusiasts' and that extends far beyond this forum. In essence, those that desperately wanted the MKV to be another world-beater, a 2nd coming, an honest attempt by Toyota to dethrone the current Japanese crown-wearer --and were willing to pay for it-- or nothing. And those that are simply happy to eat up anyone's scraps as long as it's called "Supra", hoping there's a base model variant cheap enough they can afford, so they be 'part of the club', too. Seems the vast majority of current/prior MKIV owners and deep-rooted Supra enthusiasts (among other crowds) tend to fall into the former. The magazine racing, Cars & Coffee crowd and/or BMW fans perhaps more the latter... "Bro, I leased a 335i, it has turbos, bro -- I'm a car guy now.. Have you seen the new Supra!? Maybe I'll get one as a loaner when my valves need to be walnut blasted.." o_O

Pandering to the SC crowd now, yeah..? This is the same tired, half-truth argument SC guys have been parroting since the SC became dirt cheap some years ago. "It's basically a Supra too" and other cries for validation.

LOL

No, no it's not.. "Platform" is rather nebulous. They shared some subframe, suspension components and mounting points. Just because you can NA-T and can share suspension and drivetrain parts does not make it any more "Supra". They are vastly more dissimilar than anything, and anyone that's actually turned wrenches on both can tell you that. Even so, even if they were essentially the same car Lexus = Toyota..! I recognize that may be a surprise to some of the lesser-read, nuevo-car-guys here. :rofl: Attempting to draw parallels between Lexus SC/Toyota Supra and Toyota re-branding a BMW parts bin car is as laughable as comparing a 2020 MY anything to a 1993. Few, myself included, have any issue with the MKV leveraging a pre-existing platform -- provided it's a Toyota!

Now back to your regularly scheduled omphaloskepsis.

:popcorn:
Who said it was a preexisting platform?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ This. The MKV and Z4 were developed at the same time from scratch. There was no pre-existing platform that BMW just gave them off the shelf. Several random suspension and boring electrical parts from the bin yes. An entire inline-six turbo engine architecture as a starting point yes.

But the shared chassis/monocoque platform is both BMW's and Toyota's. They both share its original intellectual property.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

No one..? Seems you made that leap of logic on your own, by ignoring the context...