The MKIV vs MKV Thread

For those with mkiv's, will you be selling yours to get a mkv?

• Total voters

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
The MKIV looks so outdated next to the MKV.
Yep....so much for ā€œtimeless designā€ ;)

I should add, the 1990 NSX (which is 4 years older than the MKIV) still looks AMAZING today! Age is just a number...
Just me, but I don't think the MK4 is dated at all. IMO, the A80, FD, and NSX are all great examples of timeless design.

Yes it does, but it was also a more expensive mid engine car. Price differences in 93 (TT A80 vs NSX) was $29.6k or $52.7k in today's money.

On a side note, @Australian of The North why do you always remove your post? What is even the point of posting on the forums then?

Last edited:

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Very good read indeed

Each car is unique in its own way

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
The A80 looks older parked next to an 86.

Old doesn't mean bad though.
Exactly, 1st gen NSX also looks old parked next to the 2nd gen. But I'll take the former over the latter any day :D

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Hmm. 420whp-ish from a VVT-i engine with twin scroll turbo and a modern automatic running a mild ethanol tune vs 650whp-ish with no VVT-i (likely), a big single turbo that builds boost quite late and a 6-speed manual transmission with a 3.133:1 axle ratio with an E85 tune.

We're not sure the driver of the MKIV has best shifting skills but let's say he does. Technology and efficiency have come a long way. Though I'd still take a manual MKV 3.0 to have the *kind* of fun you can with an MKIV.

For the sake of argument a fairer comparison of the two engine platforms, ZF8 transmission vs Getrag V160 manual aside:

The 2JZ-GTE in that MKIV would ideally be equipped with a JDM GTE VVT-i cylinder head and uprated BNR Supercars / Stu Hagen CT12B twin turbos or Stu spec JDM CT20 twin turbos, either style running in sequential mode and tuned to around the same 600-650whp+ with a Vipec or other aftermarket ECU to control the sequential system. Given the years of differences between these cars and the limitations of pump 93 fuel in high power boosted JZ engines the MKIV would still need a good E85 tune to do its best at that power/boost level.

That's a very niche and relatively rare setup among Supra owners but it would better give the 2JZ-GTE the wide boost response that the B58C is inherently capable of with its newer engine technology.

That would still leave the transmissions and gearing. The MKIV 6-speeds are geared a little long after 1st-3rd to reach a high top speed well above 155mph (I think it's gearing limited to 180mph or so?) while the ZF8 gearing and shift speed creates a response advantage all on its own.

The MKIV chassis though, engine and transmission aside, was designed for and excels at very high speed stability. I'm not sure how the MKV pans out with that just yet.

But pitting that mildly tuned MKV against the laggy big turbo 6-speed MKIV... yeah no contest really.

Old school turbo lag with a manual transmission can be a lot of fun IMO but this race result is also one reason I prefer boost setups in the JZ engines what have WAY better response throughout the entire powerband.

The new car certainly earns its place though doesn't it? Both are great cars and platforms.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Hmm. 420whp-ish from a VVT-i engine with twin scroll turbo and a modern automatic running a mild ethanol tune vs 650whp-ish with no VVT-i (likely), a big single turbo that builds boost quite late and a 6-speed manual transmission with a 3.133:1 axle ratio with an E85 tune.

We're not sure the driver of the MKIV has best shifting skills but let's say he does. Technology and efficiency have come a long way. Though I'd still take a manual MKV 3.0 to have the *kind* of fun you can with an MKIV.

For the sake of argument a fairer comparison of the two engine platforms, ZF8 transmission vs Getrag V160 manual aside:

The 2JZ-GTE in that MKIV would ideally be equipped with a JDM GTE VVT-i cylinder head and uprated BNR Supercars / Stu Hagen CT12B twin turbos or Stu spec JDM CT20 twin turbos, either style running in sequential mode and tuned to around the same 600-650whp+ with a Vipec or other aftermarket ECU to control the sequential system. Given the years of differences between these cars and the limitations of pump 93 fuel in high power boosted JZ engines the MKIV would still need a good E85 tune to do its best at that power/boost level.

That's a very niche and relatively rare setup among Supra owners but it would better give the 2JZ-GTE the wide boost response that the B58C is inherently capable of with its newer engine technology.

That would still leave the transmissions and gearing. The MKIV 6-speeds are geared a little long after 1st-3rd to reach a high top speed well above 155mph (I think it's gearing limited to 180mph or so?) while the ZF8 gearing and shift speed creates a response advantage all on its own.

The MKIV chassis though, engine and transmission aside, was designed for and excels at very high speed stability. I'm not sure how the MKV pans out with that just yet.

But pitting that mildly tuned MKV against the laggy big turbo 6-speed MKIV... yeah no contest really.

Old school turbo lag with a manual transmission can be a lot of fun IMO but this race result is also one reason I prefer boost setups in the JZ engines what have WAY better response throughout the entire powerband.

The new car certainly earns its place though doesn't it? Both are great cars and platforms.
they are re racing from a dig

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
They arenā€™t. A dig is from a dead stop. These were all races from a roll while at speed.
I spoke the driver of the A90 Last night. They are going to do a ā€œfutureā€ race from a DIG.......
Sponsored