The Pricing Thread + Potential US Tariffs Impact

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
While I do agree with your pricing I don't think BMW would be too happy if Toyota undercut them by that much. If the 4 banger started at $40k and a $50k starting for the 6 cyl than it would sound more plausible to me.
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I really don't think the Toyota is going to cost more than the Z. Also people over on the Bimmer side said the new model should be slightly less than the current Z because they are going back to a soft top. Not to mention the E89 wasn't exactly a hot seller.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
The pricetag CALTY was given for the FT1 was a car from $50-$60k.

I don't expect this car will cost less than that.

If it ends up being some 300-350 horsepower Focus RS competitor, it'll be hard to justify charging something higher than the $40s. We'll see.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I think it's at least 50-65K even with a 4 cylinder. Id be super happy if it was in the Op's range.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
If the price is too high we can all look forward to it disappearing again since they won't sell enough to justify keeping it up to date.

Look at the last time the GTR was redesigned, 10 years ago.

I hope they learn from Ford and Chevy and release a reasonably priced vehicle with room for upgrades for people who want performance.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
remember when people thought the FR-S was going to be sub 20k? and then it debuted at 25k? i think people are WAY underestimating the price of this car. and we mustn't forget that german car msrp's are not a realistic representation of what the price is after options. the mythical 65k M3's are usually in the 80's after options.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
My fiance and I set out budget as $100,000 CAD max for a car (50 each) of course, a lot of things have to work out for that to happens, being in the vancouver region, the average price of a detached house is over 1.8 million. Our budget is 800k. Any more than that and no car.
As for what I'll pay for the Supra outside of my personal budget, it depends. I don't like the idea of buying a car that's over $70k CAD and someone drive around in the same car that cost $40k because it has a smaller motor. For me that completely devalues the car for me. I do like the idea of higher trims and special packages etc, but having a car that looks identical but cost far less/more has always been a huge no for me.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget guys, that we have to look at Yen to USD to Euro prices, which have fluctuated a fair bit since we first heard 50-60k. The world's economies are constantly changing so we won't really be able to pinpoint a number until we're fairly close to release. That being said, I certainly don't think it's going to be cheaper than 50k, but by the time 2018/2019 rolls around, I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at numbers that start with a 7... :(

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
remember when people thought the FR-S was going to be sub 20k? and then it debuted at 25k? i think people are WAY underestimating the price of this car. and we mustn't forget that german car msrp's are not a realistic representation of what the price is after options. the mythical 65k M3's are usually in the 80's after options.
If I recall correctly, the 86 in the US was suppose to be in the low $20ks. Everyone thought that meant $21k-$22k. In the latest report it says the Toyota version will be more bare bones when compared to the Z4.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yeah, it will cost less than the Z4 for sure, but I dont think it's going to be more than say $10k.

so if the top spec Z4 is 65k, then I'd venture the Supra/SPX is ~$55k which falls right into that $50-60k USD gap the chief engineer gave.

Kbreak30

First Name
Sitt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Lexus LS430 / 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Has anyone thought about the dealer mark up? I know a few guys who are driving $50k (marked up) 300 horse power Honda Civics. Besides the price tag, what do you guys think about the dealer mark up? Especially in California.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Has anyone thought about the dealer mark up? I know a few guys who are driving $50k (marked up) 300 horse power Honda Civics. Besides the price tag, what do you guys think about the dealer mark up? Especially in California.
Mark ups are inevitable initially because dealers know enthusiasts are hungry for the product. Safest thing to do is wait till the next model year gets close to dropping before buying, then you should be able to get 3-5k off msrp.

I remember when the Miata RF first came out, lots of hype and dealers were marking up several thousand. It's been about a year and now you'd be hard pressed not to be able to get several thousand off.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Inevitable but I won't be paying it. Usually with enough legwork you can find a sticker price deal. If not, simply wait.
Sponsored