Throttle hesitation

redlucymkv

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Have been having this same thing happen to our 2021 Supra the last few weeks. Took it in today.
Just had this happen for the first time yesterday.
  1. Drove car from house to store, 20 minute drive, no issues.
  2. Spent about 5 minutes inside the store.
  3. Started up car (engine still at normal temperature), switched to Sports mode and headed out of parking lot to a street.
  4. Turned out onto the street and went about 30 feet to a stop light. Can't recall if car was still driving funky, but wasn't giving it much gas at all at this point.
  5. Sat at stoplight for maybe 20-30 seconds waiting.
  6. Light turned green, stepped on it to go and throttle felt like it was in limp mode. Stepped on it harder and got a sudden and huge surge of power (almost dangerous)
  7. Seemed fine after that for the remaining 7 minute drive across town to lunch.
I know the manual has the note about first 30 seconds after startup, but this definitely lasted more than 30 seconds, probably 2-3 minutes total.

Hopefully this isn't an issue that gets worse or pops up more frequently. Wondering if I should take the car in and have them run a diagnostics for proof (based on previous posts) or wait until I at least see it a second time.

Car is stock, other than some bimmercode tweaks. 2021, not tunable. About 1400 miles.
Also having this exact same issue. Has occurred multiple different times. On sport or driving in normal after the car has been warmed up. Just took it in to the dealer this morning. Now waiting to say if they could replicate it or not and if they have any diagnosis. 2021 3.0 no mods
Sponsored

Constantine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1977 Datsun 280Z, 2021 Supra 3.0
Have been having this same thing happen to our 2021 Supra the last few weeks. Took it in today.

Also having this exact same issue. Has occurred multiple different times. On sport or driving in normal after the car has been warmed up. Just took it in to the dealer this morning. Now waiting to say if they could replicate it or not and if they have any diagnosis. 2021 3.0 no mods
Curious if they will acknowledge the issue. I've be contemplating taking mine in but it's my daily driver and I am almost positive they will tell me "nothings wrong" Hope they can identify the issue for you and have a real solution.
This issue seems to be so wide spread at this point I hope we get some kind of recall to fix it.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if they will acknowledge the issue. I've be contemplating taking mine in but it's my daily driver and I am almost positive they will tell me "nothings wrong" Hope they can identify the issue for you and have a real solution.
This issue seems to be so wide spread at this point I hope we get some kind of recall to fix it.
My supra is my daily as well. I just wasn't going to risk my life for this car. You would have to get a camera phone to record the situation as best as possible to keep it logged and to present to the dealership. I had a hard time replicating the issues as well. Most of the time they would tell me that they don't find anything; however, my mechanic told me that the computer system in the car will keep a log of the problem when it occurs and it recorded for them to find when they do a specific diagnostic for throttle response. So, the dealership can't say no that they didn't find anything.

Toyota has already bought the car back and Tuesday they are picking up the car. At least I get my money back. I have to wait about a month for new inventory for a new car I want to come in.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
My supra is my daily as well. I just wasn't going to risk my life for this car. You would have to get a camera phone to record the situation as best as possible to keep it logged and to present to the dealership. I had a hard time replicating the issues as well. Most of the time they would tell me that they don't find anything; however, my mechanic told me that the computer system in the car will keep a log of the problem when it occurs and it recorded for them to find when they do a specific diagnostic for throttle response. So, the dealership can't say no that they didn't find anything.

Toyota has already bought the car back and Tuesday they are picking up the car. At least I get my money back. I have to wait about a month for new inventory for a new car I want to come in.
Toyota bought the car back for random throttle hesitation?

-RJM

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota bought the car back for random throttle hesitation?

-RJM
Yes. I had video that I gave Toyota, the mechanic gave them a video when he tested it out. The dealership couldn't fix it. So under the lemon law, they had to buy the car back.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was talking to the mechanic and he told me last month Toyota bought some girls car back for steering wheel problems. It was bad enough for them to get it.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota picked up the car today and cut me my check. That car is going off to an auction according to the paperwork. Final miles on the car 7,600. No more headaches dealing with it and now to a new 2022 car.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Has anyone had an offficial explanation given why this is happening?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
This rarely happens to me but it did it on Friday on my way home from work. Did it for about 2 miles of a lot of stop and go. I could barely even power brake it. As a test, I hit the traction control button and the problem instantly went away. Not sure if that will work for everyone but would be curious to hear if it does work for the majority.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This rarely happens to me but it did it on Friday on my way home from work. Did it for about 2 miles of a lot of stop and go. I could barely even power brake it. As a test, I hit the traction control button and the problem instantly went away. Not sure if that will work for everyone but would be curious to hear if it does work for the majority.
I've always thought this issue smelled of a TCS problem. Is yours a '20 or a '21?

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Evolution

I was able to eliminate the issue by turning TCS off as well