Toyota FT-1 concept & A90 Supra design dissected

Do you care if the next Supra has a "corporate image?"

• No, as long as it looks good, I don't care if the rest of Toyota's line up is designed around it.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, the Supra should be completely unique looking even among Toyota's fleet.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Don't care as long as the Supra is the "first" to get the design.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
But that front end doesn't resemble the FT-1 front at all. Unless they decide to completely abandon the design altogether I would hope that it carries over more of the FT-1 front bumper than that.

Please no Mirai tail lights! I think both head and tail lights are both hideous.
Sponsored

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I posted news about this concept car on other forums. People keep saying it kinda resembles FT-1 no?

NanoFlowcell-QUANT-F-1.jpg

toyota-ft-1-concept-front-three-quarter-06.jpg

nanoFlowcell QUANT F concept electrifies Geneva crowd with 1,090 HP

1780711133792242538.jpg

Weighs 2,300 kg

German specialty marque nanoFlowcell has introduced in Geneva the QUANT F concept which comes with a variety of upgrades compared to its predecessor, the QUANT E.

The design hasn't changed that much but we do notice the new headlights and an automatically deployable rear spoiler. It has also been fitted with a new carbon fiber monocoque featuring narrower A pillars providing the flow cell electric vehicle with a more spacious interior cabin.

Moreover, there's a new two-speed transmission while the upgraded nanoFlowcell feeds 50 amperes of current in the new buffer system which can supply more than 2000 amperes to provide full performance for a short amount of time.

Thanks to its four electric motors, the QUANT F has a peak output of 1,090 HP (801.69 kW) and will run the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 2.8 seconds before topping out at more than 186 mph (300 km/h). These are some amazing performances taking into account the "e-sports limousine" tips the scales at a whopping 2,300 kg (5,070 lbs) and is 5.25 meters long.

It can provide a maximum range of 800 km (497 miles) thanks to the 500 liters of ionic fluids stored in two 250-liter tanks installed in the car's substructure. Its permanent four-wheel drive system can be automatically converted into a rear-wheel drive layout at high speeds or during high acceleration. When this happens, the front axle is declutched and runs in idling mode.

nanoFlowcell says the exterior has received full series production homologation while the interior is 90 percent in compliance with homologation requirements.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/115030589962/nanoflowcell-quant-f-electrifies-geneva-crowd-with

Last edited:

500strong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
Looks like a knockoff to be honest but that front end could be much closer to what we see on the MKV Supra.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Similar roofline, headlights/integrated scoops, side ducts, and most of all color.

Looks okay I guess, but most of all somehow looks cheap.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Well, dunno! The article states the design hasn't changed much....implying they must have been running this design for sometime now...?

But I do agree, it somehow looks crap and the design element don't flow or connect as well as FT-1.

Once I walked into a Fisker show room. I asked two questions before I walked out without a test ride...
1- how much does it weigh? I think it was around 5,000 pounds also
2- how much the battery replacement cost? $20,000
3- how long does the battery last? 10 years

Ok three questions!

I guess if all you do is straight line driving on freeways or German autobhns...it's ok. Just don't try turning this thing at high speeds. Doesn't matter what the car maybe capable of, tires provide only so much lateral traction!

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
It definitely looks like a cheapman's version of the FT-1, down to the color. FT-1 design is much better of course.

Front end reminds me of the 360 Modena

14_Ferrari-360-Modena.jpg

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The photoshop is not the greatest. I'm just thinking it resembles more in line of what could shape the front end. Besides sources have said that the next Supra successor would come from influences from the FT-1, rather than the FT-1 being the concept for the next successor. Again just my speculation of things. But since no concept was reveal by BMW at Geneva, I assume Toyota may reveal an actual concept later on this year or next year at detroit.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looks like a poor mans version of the FT-1 with some nice power numbers.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
In this video with Calty designers, they say that they designed every single line, fold, crevice etc with aerodynamics in mind and for maximum downforce. Even though they're designers and not engineers, I'm sure they have some kind of aerodynamics modeling ability on their computers to say that they designed with aerodynamics in mind.

Likely means that the current design would do well in the wind tunnel.

This day in age all the designers sketch and design on computers anyway so it probably wouldn't be hard at all to get virtual aerodynamic results right on their computers as they're drafting the design up. I doubt any designs are drawn up completely without regard to engineering and aerodynamics any more. What a waste of time and $ taht would be if the design then had to be completely scrapped once it hit the engineering stage because the design just didn't work from a technical stand point.

dsubrosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Yaris
Luckily what works best for aerodynamics often looks better from a design POV too. Low CoG, hunkered stance, sleek, lots of curves etc. Everything I hope the Supra MKV will be...

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
I see the resemblance a bit between the FT1 and Mirai's tail light area, but Toyota better not give the FT1 the full downward "L" lights from the Mirai. It's one thing to have the lights + vent area be an L shape, but once you make the whole tail light an L it becomes unattractive -- like on the Mirai. Please keep it triangular instead like on the FT-1.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
That looks more like a Camaro than what I would expect from the next Supra.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.