Toyota GR GT3 Concept / Lexus LFR

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Lexus's variant won't be the same as Toyota's variant. Don't give up just yet on the A100. From what I know, Toyota will not be utilizing the same setup as the Lexus. Base platform yes, drivetrain no. Let's be patient and see what happens.

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I still have hope for the RX-Vision.... 🤞

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Lexus's variant won't be the same as Toyota's variant. Don't give up just yet on the A100. From what I know, Toyota will not be utilizing the same setup as the Lexus. Base platform yes, drivetrain no. Let's be patient and see what happens.
Are we thinking something along the lines of SC400 vs MK4 Supra?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If both brands get to use their own versions of the same core chassis for different cars then that would be an excellent approach.

This was, after all, the way some of the costs were spread around more between the Supra MKIV, Z30 Toyota Soarer and Lexus SC300/400 in the 1990's.

I hope you're right about this because having that shared lineage again between a Supra and a Lexus coupe (which I'd hope would be called the "SC" or "Soarer" again) would be fantastic for both Toyota and Lexus.

Are we thinking something along the lines of SC400 vs MK4 Supra?
If PerformanceSound is proven correct about this then that's exactly what it would be like since the Supra MKIV was developed *from* the Z30 Soarer/SC300/SC400 chassis as a starting point.

The MKIV and 1991-2000 SC/Soarer were all built on the same assembly lines and share a ridiculous number of chassis, suspension and driveline parts and hard points apart from cosmetic styling differences and slightly different wheelbases. The 91-00 SC/Soarer chassis is only roughly 200lbs heavier at the sheetmetal than the MKIV chassis.

I'd love to see that happen again for both brands with a modern RWD coupe platform.

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
is there a link?

pretty sure the EV IS and RC were already previewed by these concepts

Lexus-EV-Range-Selection.jpg
I don't think the current RC will be around until 2030, in fact it's hard to see it being here much past 2024/25.
Either way, that car will be whatever they are going to be representing it's GT3 hardware in the line up. Whether that's above or below the LC well :dunno:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If we are talking about the "TNGA-A" platform, the Lexus variant and Toyota variant will be almost entirely different. Powertrain, drivetrain, interior materials, ride quality, comfort, tech, etc... will be exclusive to each other. I will say, Toyota will have the focus on performance, while Lexus will "get it all." This makes sense as an average buyer, if I am shopping for a Toyota sports car...my main attraction will be performance above all else at an affordable price. Lexus on the other hand will have more of a "if we build it, they will come" mentality. Both variants will have elevated levels of performance, style, dynamics, etc... but I can confidently say that the Lexus will be loaded with unmatched features. Think LFA 2.0.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If we are talking about the "TNGA-A" platform, the Lexus variant and Toyota variant will be almost entirely different. Powertrain, drivetrain, interior materials, ride quality, comfort, tech, etc... will be exclusive to each other. I will say, Toyota will have the focus on performance, while Lexus will "get it all." This makes sense as an average buyer, if I am shopping for a Toyota sports car...my main attraction will be performance above all else at an affordable price. Lexus on the other hand will have more of a "if we build it, they will come" mentality. Both variants will have elevated levels of performance, style, dynamics, etc... but I can confidently say that the Lexus will be loaded with unmatched features. Think LFA 2.0.
In that case it sounds like a back-to-Z30-style SC/Soarer style successor is not going to be what the Lexus variant will be if "LFA 2.0" is what they're going for. Ah well... we did get the LC coupe and convertible after all and those are pretty much what an evolved SC400 should be.

I recall some Lexus LFA successor news out of Bestcar a while back claiming that Lexus wanted to still make another flagship but this time a bit more affordable than the original LFA.

Whatever production platform comes from the GR GT3 Concept's R&D would seem to fall in closer to that than another $375k (I think that was it?) vehicle.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I don't think the current RC will be around until 2030, in fact it's hard to see it being here much past 2024/25.
Either way, that car will be whatever they are going to be representing it's GT3 hardware in the line up. Whether that's above or below the LC well :dunno:
The internet rumor mills are saying the RC will be axed after this gen. The next IS will be offered as a sedan, coupe/convertible, wagon, and crossover as seen with the new crown. Now if the US gets all of the body styles is another story in itself.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In that case it sounds like a back-to-Z30-style SC/Soarer style successor is not going to be what the Lexus variant will be if "LFA 2.0" is what they're going for. Ah well... we did get the LC coupe and convertible after all and those are pretty much what an evolved SC400 should be.

I recall some Lexus LFA successor news out of Bestcar a while back claiming that Lexus wanted to still make another flagship but this time a bit more affordable than the original LFA.

Whatever production platform comes from the GR GT3 Concept's R&D would seem to fall in closer to that than another $375k (I think that was it?) vehicle.
Unfortunately, Toyota’s goal with the next flagship sports car cannot ride on a touring chassis….it’s the best or nothing. The only chassis they can use to accomplish this (without outsourcing) will be from one they share with Lexus (LFA successor). Both brands want to have a solid chassis, but the rest will be unique to each brand. Also, I know for a fact that the next “Supra” will need to have a better chassis than the current….this will be interesting on how they will accomplish that because the MKV is already stiffer than the LFA.