Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Toyota's planning a lighter, track-focused Supra

Supra GRMN anyone? Stripped-out new Supra could weigh 100kg less

Exciting news. Gazoo Racing chief and father of the new 2019 Toyota Supra, Tetsuya Tada, has confirmed that a stripped-out, track-focused version is already part of his plan for the reborn sports car, co-developed with the new BMW Z4. Expect it to be called the Supra GRMN.

“At some point I would like to make a track-limited Supra with less weight. We’re already making a racing version so we know if you take out 100kg it’s a completely different car – you don’t even need any more power,” Tada told us. Question is, will it be road-legal or a track-only toy? “We’re investigating both avenues, there’s always a trade-off because being road-legal brings restrictions.”

Tada fleshed out the details on his desire to take the car racing, too. Toyota has already confirmed a Supra NASCAR will be competing in 2019, but that’s little more than a look-a-like nose grafted onto a stock car. Tada says the blossoming LM GTE category is being looked at – potentially pitting the Supra against the Ford GT, Ferrari 488, Aston Vantage, Porsche 911 and others.

For the road car, the Supra’s targets are less lofty: “The Porsche Cayman has been our dynamic benchmark from the start,” says Tada. “The Cayman has the advantage with its engine positioning but I’ve driven the cars back-to-back on track and we’re definitely in the same zone.”

Although there are no concrete facts about the Supra’s spec yet, we do know it will use BMW engines and gearboxes – likely to be a 3.0-litre straight-six with around 300bhp and an eight-speed auto. “We stuck with front engine because of feel and control. We know how to control a front-engine car, we already have that capability. In the planning stages we suggested a mid-engined layout and BMW was happy to go with it, but I took the idea to Akio Toyoda and he told me off.”

So what’s changed in a company once renowned for its risk adversity, that means a family of sports cars, including track-focused derivatives, is now an essentially part of the recipe? “What’s changed is what Toyota sees as success. We were pursuing numbers and profit margins, which are still important, but we’ve started to appreciate the value different cars can bring to customers,” Tada explains.

“It all started when Akio took the reigns. Numbers are one thing, but it’s the feeling that matters.”
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tgs-guide-japan/toyotas-planning-lighter-track-focused-supra
Sponsored

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
its interesting that Tada-san used the "100kg" figure as an example, that's 220lbs; hence ~3077lbs curb weight for the GRMN version.

JP_Supra

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
its interesting that Tada-san used the "100kg" figure as an example, that's 220lbs; hence ~3077lbs curb weight for the GRMN version.
Giving me more of a reason not to buy on day 1. No Manual, not even the lightest car they'll offer. smh.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
well I mean tbh there's no indication that we will get the GRMN car here in the States, I feel like there is more evidence against having that variant of the car here. Then it coming over.

I can think of a couple reasons to why I wont, more than why it will. More wait and See : 0

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I said this before, but the US was the second largest market for the A80. Toyota USA has got to be really stupid to not offer a hotter Supra over here.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I said this before, but the US was the second largest market for the A80. Toyota USA has got to be really stupid to not offer a hotter Supra over here.
Toyota USA is great at gauging the market for the segments of cars it has sold traditionally. When it comes to sports cars.. they are a brand new kid in the block with a borrowed toy. Lol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota USA is great at gauging the market for the segments of cars it has sold traditionally. When it comes to sports cars.. they are a brand new kid in the block with a borrowed toy. Lol
I would have to sadly agree, history hasn't been kind in regards to Toyota bringing the more limited edition sports cars it makes to all markets.

With that said i'm hopeful the success they've seen with things like the TRD Pro range of trucks has given them a little insight into how profitable special editions of cars can be and the reason for the lack of a GRMN Yaris or FRS is more based on the habits of this Market and smaller cars as opposed to the concept that factory tuned versions their cars won't sell here.

Fingers crossed though, regardless of whether I end up in the market for this car or not it would be nice to have the best version available and see it compete.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
Last edited: