Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
No manual transmission option ... who cares about a faster abomination?

And for 120k dollars ???

Does Toyota have any clue what enthusiasts actually want?
Guess what else is 120k and doesnā€™t have a stick? New GTR. I assume ā€œreal" car enthusiast also donā€™t like that car too then?

no ferraris, no lambos, mclarens, Acura nsx etc etc

A car enthusiast likes cars, a manual enthusiast only likes cars that have a manual

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Those vents work?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Glad they are going through with this model after all. Hopefully it gets a U.S. and Canadian release as well.

We have expected the 7-speed DCT transmission since A70TTR mentioned it months ago. Sad to see that there is no 6MT option but that now falls to the regular 2022-2026 Supras if competing with the new Z is important to Toyota.

BCā€™s mention that there are no plans for a next-gen successor is what really burns me though. Toyota already saved money by co-developing this generation heavily balanced on the BMW side. Now after the MKV ends production they just... wonā€™t try at all with different tech?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We have expected the 7-speed DCT transmission since A70TTR mentioned it months ago. Sad to see that there is no 6MT option but that now falls to the regular 2022-2026 Supras if competing with the new Z is important to Toyota.
I have a feeling that 400Z MT is going to break again like the junk 370Z's..

"Completing?" Really? Maybe the Z folks might feel that way, yes..

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a feeling that 400Z MT is going to break again like the junk 370Z's..

"Completing?" Really? Maybe the Z folks might feel that way, yes..
I said ā€œcompeteā€.

I see a lot of 370Zā€™s around so they seem to be holding up just fine, though a factory turbo Z will be much easier to modify for boost/more boost than the 370ā€™s old NA engine. The manual transmission that they are re-using with some minor redesign is known to be decently strong. Itā€™s one brandā€™s car versus anotherā€™s but theyā€™re in the same segment and one is already officially announced to offer the one critical thing the Supra still does not have as a pure-gas turbo RWD sportscar: the manual gearbox option that has been demanded from the very beginning.

Hey, I just want the Supra to offer the option while itā€™s still possible to before production ends.

That being said the Supra GRMN specs have been known for some time already. It will be very limited, very awesome and very expensive. Even without a three-pedal manual on that limited track model it will be one amazing Supra.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
67kgm = 657Nm = 485lbft
520ps = 512hp = 382kW

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I said ā€œcompeteā€.
Yeah, dumb auto-text, I also meant to type COMPETE.

COMPETE REALLY ?! Well, didn't mean to yell.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, dumb auto-text, I also meant to type COMPETE.

COMPETE REALLY ?! Well, didn't mean to yell.
Understood, no worries.

But yes... compete. The new Z offers a proven manual transmission design and thatā€™s a huge draw for the fun factor.

Same reason the GR86 6MT is very appealing.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Understood, no worries.

But yes... compete. The new Z offers a proven manual transmission design and thatā€™s a huge draw for the fun factor.

Same reason the GR86 6MT is very appealing.
If it doesn't break, like that CSC.. The 370Z's MT was not that good to begin with. And I HATE auto-blip for pansies. There's really nothing I liked about my 370Z now that I think about it.

Funny I am an MT guy and yet I think the Supra is great the way it is.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it doesn't break, like that CSC.. The 370Z's MT was not that good to begin with. And I HATE auto-blip for pansies. There's really nothing I liked about my 370Z now that I think about it.

Funny I am an MT guy and yet I think the Supra is great the way it is.
What is the ā€œCSCā€?

A lot of people use the Nissan CD009 series of 6MTā€™s in swaps, especially with 2JZā€™s. Looking up the 370Z it uses the FR6R31A version of the CD009 which is sought after by those same people. Maybe itā€™s no T56 Magnum but itā€™s quite popular.

Now the auto-blip feature in the 370Zā€™s ECU or any manual carā€™s ECU I agree is unnecessary. Canā€™t that be turned off in the vehicleā€™s settings menu or with a physical button?

Other than offering all the right hardware except no turbos I havenā€™t been interested in the 370Z much personally but I respect the formula it provides in a pure driverā€™s car.

I love the new Supra chassis and B58 engines. I think itā€™s a brilliant design. Iā€™m just one of those people for whom itā€™s a dealbreaker when thereā€™s no manual transmission in a car like that.

The ZF8 is a great automatic! But in a few short years new electric cars wonā€™t have any conventional transmissions at all so I just prefer a manual before these last generation pure gasoline cars are discontinued. Hopefully Toyota finally offers one in this generation of the Supra but if they donā€™t there are other models competing with it directly and indirectly that do. The upcoming turbo Z will right out of the gate.

Again... concerning the GRMN I donā€™t mind that that model is using a DCT. Itā€™s fitting given the mission that variant has to be the fastest it can be around a track. There just needs to be a regular 3.0 manual trim in higher volume in the lineup.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
The pricing just doesn't seem worth it, if it's true. The NSX and current GTR prices should show that almost nobody is spending 6 figures on a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda/Acura.

I'd figure it would have been something like the M2CS vs M2C where its 10-15k more for the higher spec.

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
The pricing just doesn't seem worth it, if it's true. The NSX and current GTR prices should show that almost nobody is spending 6 figures on a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda/Acura.

I'd figure it would have been something like the M2CS vs M2C where its 10-15k more for the higher spec.
The fact that the new a91 cf edition, which has just a few non-functional cf bits, costs 10k more makes me believe the price on this will be quite high...