Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Nah. I'd bet a not insignificant amount of money that a) the manual was already planned well before the Nissan offerings and b) the release had more to do with mid-life sales boost than anything any other company was doing. Where car enthusiasts see a "fight," corporations are just chasing dollars. Don't believe the hype!
This is correct.

Toyota immediately restarted development when the 2020 GR Supra got revealed in 2019. A manual was on track to be revealed at launch but it was still very subpar, so Toyota gave up on it temporarily. The outcry for a manual have fired up Toyota to develop a manual. We heard more information around mid-late 2020 and saw prototypes in 2021. The Z has done absolutely nothing.

Nissan coming out with a Z was a further incentive for Toyota to develop the manual, but it was NOT the reason why Toyota restarted developing the manual. This was misinformation by low information car guys and Z fanboys.
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
This is correct.

Toyota immediately restarted development when the 2020 GR Supra got revealed in 2019. A manual was on track to be revealed at launch but it was still very subpar, so Toyota gave up on it temporarily. The outcry for a manual have fired up Toyota to develop a manual. We heard more information around mid-late 2020 and saw prototypes in 2021. The Z has done absolutely nothing.

Nissan coming out with a Z was a further incentive for Toyota to develop the manual, but it was NOT the reason why Toyota restarted developing the manual. This was misinformation by low information car guys and Z fanboys.
We were in the trenches during that period

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
s58 > b58
I have driven the b58 to its absolute limits and I could use more.

I like the b58, I CAN drive, and I want more. The S58 could provide more.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
s58 > b58
I have driven the b58 to its absolute limits and I could use more.

I like the b58, I CAN drive, and I want more. The S58 could provide more.
I'm not sure you've driven a B58 to its limits; I don't think anyone has. We still haven't windowed a block, aside from rod failure, that's at 1350hp.

But I do know for sure to get a b58 to 1000hp is a lot easier than getting an S58 to 1000hp.

Once you reach that high three digits place, the S58 is an absolute nightmare. The way the turbos are placed, you basically have to pull the motor to swap them to anything even reasonable, and upgrading twins on this platform is silly. You're basically all torque with a moderate top end.

The head is a little different, so the B58 exhaust manifolds don't fit, and no one is making a quality S58 single turbo kit right now. And if they did, it's basically pulling the motor time.

For whatever reason, the factory internals on the S58 also seem to be a little more fragile than the B58. Rod failures are common.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m assuming you are stating stock vs stock power, correct?
si
and at my low level mods vs same modes the s58 would make easily more.

dp,fueling, mild tune I am at 440ish- same mods on s58 i believe would be over 500. be a nice weapon on the track with reliability still there

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
KIES just put down 1,000hp with two turbos and four cats in their f80 M3
Let's see it get down a track. We don't race on paper for a reason.

I also didn't say it's not possible, I said it's a pain in the ass.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure you've driven a B58 to its limits; I don't think anyone has. We still haven't windowed a block, aside from rod failure, that's at 1350hp.

But I do know for sure to get a b58 to 1000hp is a lot easier than getting an S58 to 1000hp.

Once you reach that high three digits place, the S58 is an absolute nightmare. The way the turbos are placed, you basically have to pull the motor to swap them to anything even reasonable, and upgrading twins on this platform is silly. You're basically all torque with a moderate top end.

The head is a little different, so the B58 exhaust manifolds don't fit, and no one is making a quality S58 single turbo kit right now. And if they did, it's basically pulling the motor time.

For whatever reason, the factory internals on the S58 also seem to be a little more fragile than the B58. Rod failures are common.

We (mostly me) may be talking cross purposes... I have never and don't care about 1/4 times. I only care -for me- road racing. I don't want or need 1000 hp.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Let's see it get down a track. We don't race on paper for a reason.

I also didn't say it's not possible, I said it's a pain in the ass.
100% agree and was just sharing a data point that I thought was impressive as it's with four cats and everyone on the internetz always parrots that you have to take cats out to make power.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
We (mostly me) may be talking cross purposes... I have never and don't care about 1/4 times. I only care -for me- road racing. I don't want or need 1000 hp.
But you just said you drove the b58 to its actual limits? Wouldn't that entail max peak power levels for the motor?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
100% agree and was just sharing a data point that I thought was impressive as it's with four cats and everyone on the internetz always parrots that you have to take cats out to make power.

I still can't believe that thing has 4 cats on it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But you just said you drove the b58 to its actual limits? Wouldn't that entail max peak power levels for the motor?
He clarified. He meant 'to it's factory limits', and I believe he meant 'limits' as in, 'to the cars ability' on a twisty track.
Sponsored