Featured Toyota Supra Size Dimensions Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Captain_Kirk, Feb 11, 2019.

1. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    Youre comparing the cheapest 370z with the most expensive MKV. A better argument is buying the $50k MKV and putting $5k of mods into it.

Being in the VQ37 community (currently own a 6mt G37), I can tell you no one is making that power reliably and the VQ37 will never have the powerband of the B58. Those 500hp 370z's are only making 400ft/lbs of torque, which is less than a B58 with a tune, and in a smaller powerband with gearing designed for a NA car.

2. RyanGT3RS

RyanGT3RS Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
    Liked:

This is high school mentality way of thinking

If that’s the case why buy a Porsche 911 turbo, gt3, Ferrari 488, Lamborghini, etc...... just buy a 370z and dump 50k in it.......

Wow, you just figured out the secret

Why not go even cheaper

Buy a used American muscle car like a c5 vette, 80’s or 90’s mustang, same for the camaro SS and z28, and you have a V8 to start with and put 25-30k into it....: hahaha:doh::rofl:

3. Kaizen

Kaizen Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    Lexus RC 350
    Liked:
    Mechanical Engineer
    Everyone so worked up over the horsepower figure, overlooking the torque of this new Supra, 365 ft/lb. That's a lot compared to most sports cars in the range, especially NA ones. HP is speed, TQ is what you feel.

4. SilverMk2

SilverMk2 Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Car(s):
    85 Supra 2JZ VVTI
    Liked:
    Inifiti make a similar low volume V6 TT RWD coupe for $40,750? Whats so special about the Lexus V8 that it adds 40k to the price?

5. justbake

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    Economies of scale that it is a 2 door version of a mass produced sedan. Lexus has already done that and it is how we have the RC

A70TTR likes this.
  6. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Those tiny +2 rear seats doesn’t sound much big of a deal to me. Besides, only small kids can fit at the back comfortably. Why need those seats? Less seats, more fun! Focus is purer on the driving. Well, that’s just for me:)

Vaevictum likes this.
  7. Vaevictum

Vaevictum Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
    Liked:
    Couldn't agree with this more. I still don't understand why people complain about not having the rear seats which were (mostly) useless.

Kaizen and Supra21 like this.
  8. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Darren
    Car(s):
    1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
    Liked:
    Having two rear seats would be a deal breaker for me - I don't want them, they add weight, take away space, and change the status of the car from sports car to GT. I'd be looking at a different car if it had 2 rear seats....

Vaevictum likes this.
  9. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Nope, that's not what I said at all. I said if this car had shared a platform with the new 86 (and maybe get a lexus sport coupe out of it too) and it was built in Japan and came with Toyotas new v6, preferably the TT one, it could have been 10k cheaper in North America and actually affordable world wide. Maybe they would have had to make an NA one at 40k and turbo at 45, but that would still be preferable to what we are getting.

Don't you guys find it more then just a little annoying that we are getting a car that is essentially no different then a GT86 with an engine swap? Nearly the exact same footprint, the same general size and shape and the same suspension design, etc.

As to the comment about the chassis strength, no Subaru probably wouldn't be able to pull that off on their own, just like they could have never built a car like the BRZ in the first place. Its Toyotas influence and engineers that pulled off the stiffness feet on the GT86 and the mk5. Yes they could have matched it or come close enough on a 2nd generation of that car (actually they may do just that yet).

10. justbake

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    I might if what you said was remotely accurate

Dunc likes this.
  11. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Well yeah, obviously it has a much better interior, and the e diff is cool, but beyond that, that is essentially what it is. Especially to the average joe at the dealership, the new Supra sitting next to a GT86 with a 2x price difference and practically the exact same size isn't going to make much sense. Sure, sexier looks and turbo power are worth more, but 200x more? It would be an easier pill to swallow of the thing at least had some trick suspension like the mk3/4 did back in the day. But nope, essentially no different design then what's under the GT86. They could easily have been built on the same platform.

12. justbake

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    Why does BMW sell the 4 series when the 2 series is "practically the exact same size?"

13. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    That's funny, your statement can apply to the other Supras as well

Dunc and justbake like this.
  14. Supra21

Supra21 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 Mercedes Benz C250
    Liked:
    #74 Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    My good sir! As much of a Supra fanboy as I am I need to bring this to your attention...

1. The 80's...the AE86 and the Supra.
    2. The 90's...the Celica and the Supra.
    3. Today...the 86 and the Supra

As seen below...the Supra always has been a slightly bigger brother to an existing sibling in the lineup at the time...similar packaging; different beast!...we need to stop jumping the gun and judging what lies under the skin since Toyota has historically put this to rest over decades of the same practice! Look at the company's trend and the big picture of how it executes its performance lineup!

IMG_8551.JPG

IMG_8552.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8553.JPG

IMG_8554.JPG

Over the decades, Toyota provided a performance car for its customers no matter how deep their pocket was! Im doing so, everyone could enjoy a sports car with a relatively similar look if the Toyota image caught their appeal! And you know what?! Both sold at the time!

For argument's sake, Nissan had similar practices in regards to the Silivia and Skyline...beefier look w/ more muscle for a greater price; however, design elements were similar!

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

It's common in the hierarchy of a brand's sports cars as they try to maintain a design image!

RyanGT3RS, Vaevictum, Bryster and 2 others like this.
  15. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    Even the Camry inherited the A80 front end
    Screenshot_2019-02-21-23-31-02-1.png

rtoadyt likes this.