Toyota Supra to be launched in 2019 under Gazoo performance brand GR / GRMN related topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Google translation.

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/2320

Toyota's new Supra, which has a high degree of public attention, among the big new cars released and released in 2018. New information was discovered in this flagship coupe scheduled to be released worldwide at the Geneva show in March.

Below, we will introduce the new information while organizing information grabbed by our site so far!
Sentence: Best car editing department
Best car From February 10, 2018 issue "Super Scotch of 2019 SCOOP!"

In March 2018, the world first show at the European festival Geneva show
 At last the Toyota new model Supra's announcement is approaching.

Speaking of "SUPRA" is a flagship coupe that Toyota released in 1978-2002, it will be the first time in 16 years.

Originally said that the place to be the world premiere was the US Detroit Show in January, but it turned out to be a Geneva show to be held from 9th March (in Switzerland).

Introduction into the Japanese market will be from Winter 2018 to Spring 2019.

Supra, which the North American market is supposed to be the main battle for sales, may feel uncomfortable to be announced at Geneva (in Europe), but it is said that BMW's intention of producing onboard engines worked strongly There.

It is a pity that the presentation is about two months off, but I want to wait a little for patience.

Well, as deterministic information entered about the engine that Supra carries, I would like to tell you in this paper.

As we have reported several times on the site of the type of engine so far, there are 3 types, 3L 6 straight turbo, 2 different 2 T 4 turbo with different output. What we found out this time is the model and output of these three types of engines.

The model name of the 3L turbo is "B58T", the output is 250kW (340ps), the 2L turbo is named "B48T", the high power version is 190 kW (258 ps), the standard version is 145 kW (197 ps).

The mission to be combined with this engine will be an 8-speed AT. The high power version of 3L turbo and 2L turbo is likely to be combined with this "8 speed sports AT" in BMW. 8 Sports AT, which guarantees maximum performance if "Sports" mode is chosen. Given the car's character called Supra, there would be no more such a mission.

A new type SUPRA that fruit brilliantly as a result of collaboration with BMW. I would like to try out the competence of Japanese-German collaborative sports as soon as possible.

■ Toyota specialty "GR" also set! Maximum output 400 horsepower
 For the new Supra, new remarkable information came in.

That is the presence of tuning version "GR".

"Toyota's in-house company," GR "handled by GAZOO Racing Company. Since the new Supra itself is the production of German BMW, it is unknown at the moment how the GR familiar menu such as spot welding addition of hit points, enhancement of body rigidity by reinforced brace wearing and traction of underbody can be utilized. However, tuning unique to BMW, which handles the high performance model "M", there is a high possibility that the output will be improved at the same time.

Supra is equipped with a 2997 cc straight six turbo manufactured by BMW, tuned based on a B 58 T engine. As it already has 340 で in normal condition, 400 ㎰ class output will be obtained without impossibility by changing the boost pressure etc.

Based on the 3L turbo, output of 400 ps can be obtained without impossibility, and if combined with the tightened body and underbody, Supra is a first-class sports model.

Regarding the mission concerning whether or not it will be left as an 8-speed AT, although information is not entering at this moment, if possible we would like you to have a 7-speed DCT (dual clutch transmission) adopted by BMW's "M" model . From a user seeking sports quality in SUPRA, the selection of DCT which can also achieve direct acceleration and deceleration should reflect strong appeal.

Supra GR which will be appealing strongly in its appearance, such as a powerful front side common to the GR series. It is the debut time that is worrisome, but again after one year of normal appearance, that is, winter of 2019 is expected. The price will be between 10 million and 12 million yen.
%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88.jpg

%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2.jpg

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I think the GR spec cars are gonna be some serious money, well at least the higher trim ones (GRMN).

Nic.CH

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris GRMN, Toyota Corolla Levin 1600 GT (AE86), Toyota GT86
Je m'excuse pour un article que j'ai écrit, j'ai fait une erreur. J'avais annoncé la vente de la Supra pour l'europe le mois d'octobre 2018, mais c'est 2019 annoncé

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
Still no news of a manual gearbox.
I'm with you. Lack of a manual is a deal breaker for me. Toyota will lose out on a lot of potential customers without one. I believe the take rate for manuals on the 86 platform was nearly 50%. I'm starting to lose faith in the direction this project is headed. Hopefully once the reveal happens and we have concrete facts my fears will be assuaged.

Ksim1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Car(s)
I'm with you. Lack of a manual is a deal breaker for me.
It could be a deal breaker for me depending how it performs. If its competing with a Cayman and those have a manual. Its gotta perform quite a bit better to sway me especially with the price rumors.
Might make me look into a 86/BRZ or the competition that has a stick if it ends up being a poor performer.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I agree that one is ugly...I quite like this one posted earlier, pics can be deceiving I know, but from what was said about the size being closer to 86, it would seem to be about the same size...

85F245CA-45AE-4A23-8982-1A33C770EB25.jpeg

Last edited:

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
It could be a deal breaker for me depending how it performs. If its competing with a Cayman and those have a manual. Its gotta perform quite a bit better to sway me especially with the price rumors.
Might make me look into a 86/BRZ or the competition that has a stick if it ends up being a poor performer.
From what I have seen on Bimmerpost, it's not the paddles per se that are an issue for some - it's the fact that they are hooked to an 8 speed box. Having so many gears means you are constantly shifting (especially on a car that accelerates quickly), and several posters with ZF-8s there have commented that doing so manually gets tedious after a while and they wind up leaving it in auto mode most of the time. That would be far less of a risk if the auto was only a 6 speed.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
From what I have seen on Bimmerpost, it's not the paddles per se that are an issue for some - it's the fact that they are hooked to an 8 speed box. Having so many gears means you are constantly shifting (especially on a car that accelerates quickly), and several posters with ZF-8s there have commented that doing so manually gets tedious after a while and they wind up leaving it in auto mode most of the time. That would be far less of a risk if the auto was only a 6 speed.
why go down this path? not sure how having less gears, especially in an autobox, in a performance car can be less of a risk? if we get only an automatic, the closer the ratio and more gears the better. considering your wishes on the 86's auto rev for a manual trans and acknowledging folks who find it tedious to press one click for a gear change, it sounds like you really don't like putting in work to drive a car lol

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Nah. Manuals can suck it in stop and go traffic. 1st 2nd 1st 2nd 1st 2nd....

A true DCT is a fucking marvel of engineering.
I highly suggest you guys go test drive a 718 or a 911. It's free. You'll complete change your opinion on it.

The internet is notorious for hating DCTs and praising manuals, yet sales numbers say otherwise.

I'm all for manuals existing. A back country road with no one else really makes it shine and enjoyable. But that's not realistic everyday driving for many of us and the ability to go into to auto when i go to the city is very attractive.

That's my personal opinion though.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I tend to agree here with Haros, I think overall for cars built today with manuals they are less than 10% of the market and trending down. I love manuals myself, and my two 300zx twin turbos and g35 and other cars were manuals. However, as a daily driver, traffic in most big cities sucks making them a pain...not saying you cant do it and some will, but I think manufacturers want to appeal to highest % of buyers....In a perfect world if I could own two cars and only drive the manual on say weekends that would be ideal but not reality...its a compromise and a choice people will have to make...Todays DCTs are fantastic which helps but its not the same for sure...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.