Toyota Won’t Offer Four-Cylinder Supra In The U.S.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.motor1.com/news/301249/toyota-supra-four-cylinder-us/

If you want a less displacement, buy a Z4.

The 2020 Toyota Supra stole the auto show this year in Detroit. The long-awaited coupe gets a turbocharged 3.0-liter engine in the U.S., good for 335 horsepower (249 kilowatts) and 365 pound-feet (494 Newton-meters) of torque. In Japan, the base Supra comes with a four-cylinder engine – but don't expect it to carry over here.

Speaking with Jack Hollis, Toyota's group vice president and general manager, at the Detroit Auto Show, he said the company has no plans to bring the four-cylinder Supra stateside. Toyota believes the current inline-six is the best engine for this car.

"I think it will be interesting to see, with the Z4 coming out with the 2.0-liter – and it's kind of interesting we have our inline six that's the same price as their two-liter – we'll see how that all works out. But no, we don't have a plan to bring the four-cylinder here."

The base four-cylinder Supra is good for either 194 hp (145 kW) and 236 lb-ft (320 Nm), or 255 hp (190 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque, depending on the trim. For countries like Japan with strict tax laws on larger-displacement engines, it makes sense. But in the U.S., with the 86 and no restrictions on larger-displacement engines, Toyota doesn't see a business case for it.

"The good news is having a company that has that available, we could do so. But we made the choice with Tada Son to only bring [the Supra] out with the inline six – so we feel strongly that that's the right engine and right performance for us."

There is one way you can get that platform with a four-cylinder engine, though: Buy a BMW Z4. In the U.S., the base Z4 is powered by a 2.0-liter engine good for 255 hp (190 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque. The four-cylinder Z4 and the six-cylinder Supra start at around the same price – $49,700 for the Z4 versus $49,990 for the Supra.
Sponsored

JustACasual

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fiesta ST, FC RX7
Very interesting to see, but definitely no surprise. I still want that manual though.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
We Won't Get the Four-Cylinder Toyota Supra In the US
In Japan, you'll be able to buy a 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder Supra. That won't be the case in the US.

Perhaps you've heard there's a new Toyota Supra. The base engine for this long-awaited machine is a 2.0-liter turbo-four from BMW, in 194- and 255-hp guises. But not in the US.

At the 2019 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, we caught up with Toyota's North American boss, Jack Hollis, to talk about the company's plans for the Supra. He said there's a chance we could eventually get a four-cylinder Supra, but it's not on the docket right now.

"We may [get the four-cylinder], but at this point, there's no plan," Hollis told me. "It's obviously an available engine for us, but we have not chosen to bring it in."

"I think the heritage of [the Supra], the purists would say 'it's an inline-six,' and that's what we're doing here," he added. "Is there going to be as much demand for a four-cylinder versus the six in a vehicle that's aspirational, and a little bit more of a 'want' car than a 'need' car? I don't know."

It's important for Toyota to offer a 2.0-liter Supra for markets where larger-displacement engines are more heavily taxed, and where gas prices are higher. In the US, neither of these are major issues currently, so the only engine planned for our market is the top-spec, 335-hp 3.0-liter turbo straight six. Plus, Toyota already offers a four-cylinder sports car—the 86.

And if you want this chassis with a four-cylinder, you can just buy a 2019 BMW Z4, which comes standard in the US with that 255-hp 2.0-liter.

Hollis said that if there's sufficient market demand for a four-cylinder Supra in the US, Toyota will bring it over. Frankly, however, we don't suspect there will be much outcry for such a model.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...06/2020-toyota-supra-four-cylinder-us-market/

To answer that last part, nah I'm good! :D:p

smokie

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Evo RS
Its not that people want the 4 cylinder, but that people want the manual transmission.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
The guy always knew what he was talking about. I remember the days people would doubt him. Oh how wrong they were. Thanks @A70TTR @Guff .

These two pulled through for us. Bless. :headbang:
Fixed :p Those two really deserve all the credit. I just had a source that sent us the pricing and some pics a few days before the unveiling.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
All of us work together and as such are equal as far as I'm concerned.

We all enjoy this stuff the same :)

As to the news, yes expected, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. The 4cyl is 3075lbs and makes 255hp. Throw on some bolt ons and I could see nearly 350hp and a car that competes in the Z space for ~$39k (haven't seen officialpricing yet, maybe it's out?). Either way, I totally understand why Toyota USA decided to opt out, but at the same time kind of unfortunate.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
Maybe they don't want to cannibalize the 86 or wait until its end of production before bringing over the 4 banger? Subaru is not going to like that one bit.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It's sales of both the 86 and the A90 I6. They want folks to choose between them without cannibalizing either. They also know Supra is synonymous with I6 in North America so...

In Asia they will sell far more of the 4cyl due to taxes, so that was an easy decision as well.

I'd argue it wouldn't have been that bad to have the 86 and A90 I4/I6 at $29k, $39k, and $49k, but oh well.

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This is just my guess:

1. Looking back, the GTE Supras outsold the GE Supras almost 2 to 1.
2. Americans view bigger is better. / V8 guys already look down on 6 cyl, imagine what they would say about a 4 banger.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
This is just my guess:

1. Looking back, the GTE Supras outsold the GE Supras almost 2 to 1.
Well according to mkiv.com's US numbers, 37% were NA sold here.

But I hope the 4 cyl does come here. Like Tada said, its the 2jz swap model :D

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Well according to mkiv.com's US numbers, 37% were NA sold here.

But I hope the 4 cyl does come here. Like Tada said, its the 2jz swap model :D
Which is almost 2:1 or percentage form 66.6% to 33.3%

I think a better route would to to pick up a fender bender at Copart later down the road for those wanting to do engine swaps.
Sponsored