Tuning Locked ECU's Post 6/2020

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Having your work stolen or plagiarized is one of the worst feelings in the world. I don't blame them at all. If the others don't have the skill or brains or willing to pay for that info then F*&k em Stealing someone elses hard work or just reverse engineering is exactly what the Chinese have done for 50 years and now they're ahead of the US in nearly all sectors. Protect your IP at all costs!
Totally, but there’s also the Open Source version of this, where they give the unlock out, and every tuner can sell their own tunes and support. There are billion dollar businesses that run on this model.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I just watched the video and yes they did make something happen on the iDrive system but does that actually mean they can tune the vehicle? I guess it would have been better to see the before and after on a dyno to truly believe it.

Also if they’re thinking to secure some Intellectual Property rights for this update that could mean years tied up in the court systems.

Hopefully you locked 2021 guys get a solution soon.

-RJM

Last edited:

Oberon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Honda Prelude, 2020 Subaru WRX
With out this solution is there any way to tune a 2021 Supra? I've been saving and waiting for years to get a Supra even before it was officially announced, I can finally buy one but held off when I saw the ECU lock issues earlier this year. I see some dyno places advertising what looks like them bench unlocking the A91, I haven't contacted them yet to confirm it. My main purpose is to modify the Supra and would do at least a stage 2 setup with in week of purchasing it and planning to build from there over the winter when I can't drive it. Be a great project to go spend time with my father to work on.
Can the ECU be swapped out or are modern ECU's just way to advanced? What options are there to fully tune this car? The last time I did any major work on a car besides a basic stage 2 setup for my 2011 Legacy GT I had to upgrade the ECU on the Honda Prelude I had in college to do anything with it. Pardon my ignorance if these are stupid questions but I'm trying to fully research and plan all of this before I go and order a Supra I just never expected tuning a Supra to be an issue. I'm just excited to get a nice project car but if I can't tune the new Supra my money is better spent on a used GTR, but I'd much rather drive the new Supra.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
With out this solution is there any way to tune a 2021 Supra? I've been saving and waiting for years to get a Supra even before it was officially announced, I can finally buy one but held off when I saw the ECU lock issues earlier this year. I see some dyno places advertising what looks like them bench unlocking the A91, I haven't contacted them yet to confirm it. My main purpose is to modify the Supra and would do at least a stage 2 setup with in week of purchasing it and planning to build from there over the winter when I can't drive it. Be a great project to go spend time with my father to work on.
Can the ECU be swapped out or are modern ECU's just way to advanced? What options are there to fully tune this car? The last time I did any major work on a car besides a basic stage 2 setup for my 2011 Legacy GT I had to upgrade the ECU on the Honda Prelude I had in college to do anything with it. Pardon my ignorance if these are stupid questions but I'm trying to fully research and plan all of this before I go and order a Supra I just never expected tuning a Supra to be an issue. I'm just excited to get a nice project car but if I can't tune the new Supra my money is better spent on a used GTR, but I'd much rather drive the new Supra.
Some of the early 21’s had unlockable ECU. At this point if your going to do heavy mods you might be better off buying a used 20 or an unlockable used 21.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The below was posted on BimmerPost regarding Mission Performance. I do not vouch that any of this is true. Just reposting what I read over there:

+1

It seems many people missed that this is presently in private beta testing...meaning it's not fit for public consumption just yet.

Soon enough the kinks will be worked out (I imagine including some level of security Alex is comfortable with) and the product will be released.

**update from my recent 6/28 trip to MP (this is a cross post from the main news thread where I also shared this info)**

• 21 unlock is the real deal
  • unlock continues to be in closed beta testing (as stated on the website) it is possible but not ready to be productized just yet
    • unlock was shared to showcase what is to come and let the BMW community know the 21 is not off limits
    • roll out and development stages to market are following the same path as most of the MP unlocks have followed in the past (closed beta, limited beta, first to market - first to offer etc)
    • revised MP tuning app is close to release and will include hybrid/electric options - and IOS option
    • Security will be a non issue by the time public release happens (not sure if this means MP wont care or if the issue will be dealt with)
    • Couple of Supras on site with manufacturer plates that he would not comment on
    • Fun stuff: Supercharged Alpina 5 series under construction on site along with an M Coupe they are stuffing an E39 M5 V8 into / always fun to see the slew of other rare BMWs on site - visit them if you can while in socal - not only does MP produce performance software they build crazy 1 off BMWs for customers and themselves

Hope this helps
roundel.gif

Last edited:

superd6199

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Edition, RC-F, CT200h F-Sport, GS350 F-Sport, Integra Type R
Seriously lol, I've been sitting on a set of TE's still in the box just waiting for this to be released so I can install all my mods in one fell swoop, or sell them if it never did.
I get salty when I see my fellow Supra owners making big gains. Sigh……

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
I get salty when I see my fellow Supra owners making big gains. Sigh……
Me too man, I literally bought this car with the impression I could throw 10k into it, eat stock GT-Rs for breakfast, and look good doing it.

jokes aside I want to join the 600HP club :'(

superd6199

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Knock knock……..

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue, and 2017 STI
Ladies and Gentlemen, is there a single person in here who believes MP has really done what they say they've done? Anyone.... Let's do some basic third-grade math. They could presell non-refundable unlocks for $500 on the basis that they will not start unlocks until 300 are sold. That's $150K, guaranteeing them some real money, even if someone steals the tech. All subsequent orders are $1000 for the slackers that did not get in early. And since they would still be the only shop in town for some time, I'm sure they could get another 100 orders. So another $100K in profit. If you're following, that's a quarter million in cash. Or, OR they can wait until a competitor releases the tech -- THEN they will start selling it!!!! Maybe Dorthey should visit MP and tell them, "but you do have a brain scarecrow, use it and start selling unlocks"... But then again, that would mean they actually unlocked it.

If you're still reading, you might be thinking, wait a sec. This same ECU is in thousands of other BMW's, not just Supras. Well, your right. So MP should be able to double it's profit to an easy $500K.

Okay, rant over... PS: truly disappointed in MP.

Last edited:

superd6199

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ladies and Gentlemen, is there a single person in here who believes MP has really done what they say they've done? Anyone.... Let's do some basic third-grade math. They could presell non-refundable unlocks for $500 on the basis that they will not start unlocks until 300 are sold. That's $150K. That guarantees them some real money, even if someone steals the tech. All subsequent orders are $1000 for the slackers that did not get in early. And since they would still be the only shop in town for some time, I'm sure they could get another 100 orders. So another $100K in profit. If you're following, that's a quarter million in cash. Or, OR they can wait until a competitor releases the tech -- THEN they will start selling it!!!! Maybe Dorthey should visit MP and tell them, "but you do have a brain scarecrow, use it and start selling unlocks"... But then again, that would mean they actually unlocked it.

If you're still reading, you might be thinking, wait a sec. This same ECU is in thousands of other BMW's, not just Supras. Well, your right. So MP should be able to double it's profit to an easy $500K.

Okay, rant over... PS: truly disappointed in MP.
You really do have a good point! I hope MP reads this and start taking orders! And in return for such a great idea, I hope MP will give you a small kick back and a free unlock.
Sponsored