Turbo Blankets?

jgardner150

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey guys I'm a little new here. Hopeful this question hasn't come up before (I searched best I could). Have any of you looked into getting a turbo blanket? I'm a bit uneducated on this subject so looking for opinions.

Maybe this is a possibility -> https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/products/bmw-b58-turbo-manifold-blanket
Seems this is what spawned it's creation -> https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721870
And this is an install video from that thread ->
Seems like this might line up with the 21s since we have the 6 port manifold like I see in the video....

Or maybe there is something else out there / universal sizing. It's all new to me??

Only reason I'm looking into it is because I have a 21 and the Verus heat shield (which seems to be popular here) only fits the 20's currently, so I started looking for alternative options. I don't have a need for it right now, but was going to go down the JB4 path eventually or Ecutek if somebody cracks the code soon and I'm trying to get supporting mods lined up.
Sponsored

MR4RT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
The problem with turbo blankets is they trap fine dirt/debris that cause fires. If you put one on make sure you clean it once in awhile.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
The problem with turbo blankets is they trap fine dirt/debris that cause fires. If you put one on make sure you clean it once in awhile.
That didn’t look like fun to install. I bet he never removes it again. ?

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I hope Verus comes up with a MY2021 version. The one for the MY2020 looks slick.

RJM

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is an old(er) thread, but it popped up in a search about the topic. Looks like Mishimoto has released a turbo blanket here. Says it's currently for 2020 cars, so not sure if that means 2021 as well, as a lot of sites don't differentiate. Anyone running one of these or considering it? Is there enough of a difference in the turbo and supporting structure to result in these not fitting a 2021? One of my goals is heat management, as a part of maximizing the systems currently in the car, and have done the Verus turbo heat shield, Verus passive differential cooler, am considering some of these, and will likely install hood vents in the near future.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
This is an old(er) thread, but it popped up in a search about the topic. Looks like Mishimoto has released a turbo blanket here. Says it's currently for 2020 cars, so not sure if that means 2021 as well, as a lot of sites don't differentiate. Anyone running one of these or considering it? Is there enough of a difference in the turbo and supporting structure to result in these not fitting a 2021? One of my goals is heat management, as a part of maximizing the systems currently in the car, and have done the Verus turbo heat shield, Verus passive differential cooler, am considering some of these, and will likely install hood vents in the near future.
This Ebay listing says 2020+ so I would think it fits both. Is this the only manufacturer at the moment? I've been thinking about getting one of these as the Armaspeed intake could definitely benefit from one.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This Ebay listing says 2020+ so I would think it fits both. Is this the only manufacturer at the moment? I've been thinking about getting one of these as the Armaspeed intake could definitely benefit from one.
Good find - thanks for digging that up! I admittedly haven't done much searching, but this is the only one that came up on Page #1 of the Google search results. With an open cone-style filter you could definitely benefit from this (assuming it works as advertised), but even without it, and the issues this car has with IAT (given the plastic intake manifold) on the track, every little bit helps. I really think Toyota did a disservice to its owners by not giving us functional air vents to help manage the heat under the hood.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Good find - thanks for digging that up! I admittedly haven't done much searching, but this is the only one that came up on Page #1 of the Google search results. With an open cone-style filter you could definitely benefit from this (assuming it works as advertised), but even without it, and the issues this car has with IAT (given the plastic intake manifold) on the track, every little bit helps. I really think Toyota did a disservice to its owners by not giving us functional air vents to help manage the heat under the hood.

I have open cone intake. I know it is not the "preferred" method, but i always had success with my design on a long line of BMWs
The supra has a nice focused air intake aimed right where my filter is located now. As long as i am moving i have not seen much power loss.
I track several times a month here in VERY humid VA 90 degrees plus and the heat shield and air movement have proven heat soak to be minimal.

I have found that on the HOT days- again super humid and 90-95 degrees out- track temp effect on tires is the limiting factor- not heat soak. The tires become greasy well before any heat soak loss.

fwiw

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I wanted to unearth this thread. I'm on a heat-management mission right now for my untunable '21. I have done various things with the car to this end. When I went to the Mishimoto website, looked at parts for the '21 Supra, their turbo blanket doesn't show up as a compatible part. However, when I look at parts for the '20 Supra, it shows up and says 2020+. So I've reached out to them to get an answer. Knowing the car, I can't see why it wouldn't work for the '21 based on the lack of differences in this area between the two model years. Will hopefully have an answer from them on that soon, though.

That being said, what experience do people have in general with turbo blankets on this vehicle or others they've had? In my case, I'm going to pay someone to install it, because there's no way I'm pulling the turbo myself. So while the part is only $200 (currently on sale), the total cost for me is going to be high. In theory, this should do a lot, but I'd like to hear some folk's experiences before pulling the trigger and committing to the cost.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
When I went to the Mishimoto website, looked at parts for the '21 Supra, their turbo blanket doesn't show up as a compatible part. However, when I look at parts for the '20 Supra, it shows up and says 2020+. So I've reached out to them to get an answer. Knowing the car, I can't see why it wouldn't work for the '21 based on the lack of differences in this area between the two model years.
The 6-port vs 2-port exhaust manifold could definitely have an effect on fitment, in fact I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I wanted to unearth this thread. I'm on a heat-management mission right now for my untunable '21. I have done various things with the car to this end. When I went to the Mishimoto website, looked at parts for the '21 Supra, their turbo blanket doesn't show up as a compatible part. However, when I look at parts for the '20 Supra, it shows up and says 2020+. So I've reached out to them to get an answer. Knowing the car, I can't see why it wouldn't work for the '21 based on the lack of differences in this area between the two model years. Will hopefully have an answer from them on that soon, though.

That being said, what experience do people have in general with turbo blankets on this vehicle or others they've had? In my case, I'm going to pay someone to install it, because there's no way I'm pulling the turbo myself. So while the part is only $200 (currently on sale), the total cost for me is going to be high. In theory, this should do a lot, but I'd like to hear some folk's experiences before pulling the trigger and committing to the cost.
Get the Verus turbo heat shield. That's what most of us ended up going with. They make both a 2 and 6 port version.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
The 6-port vs 2-port exhaust manifold could definitely have an effect on fitment, in fact I'd be surprised if it didn't.
I heard back from them and this is exactly the reason it doesn't fit. I'm surprised because of what the coverage of the component looks like it would be from the pictures. Oh well - learned something today! They did state they're working on a version for the 2021 cars.