U.S. Supra Ordering - Have You Ordered?

Discussion in 'Pricing, Ordering, Negotiating' started by kona61, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Psychodo

Psychodo Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2012 BMW x5
    Liked:
    . :rofl: I laughed pretty hard at this!

I just heard the same thing via email. Love how it's the buyers who have to "help" pay for the tooling costs.
    I'm pretty much out at this point, may come back once the initial hype wears off/ manual released.

Jabba and Guff like this.
  2. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I was told the same thing buy the salesman at my dealership, he said it was roughly a $10,000 investment per dealer, that wants to sell the Supra.

I don’t think that is much of anything for a dealership to spend in order to sell and service a car for many years....

To be honest, I don’t know why the dealer slipped that in info in during our conversation...seemed a little strange to me. I guess I would understand if they were selling it above MSRP and were trying to justify the mark-up to me, but that isn’t the case.

3. Ryanthetemp

Ryanthetemp Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
    Liked:
    I’m totally okay with dealers giving up their allocations if that means some bigger dealers will get two or maybe three. What I don’t want is the asshole ahead of me on the wait list to get wind of “all the colors” coming our way and he “take” the second allocation because it was the color he wanted. I think if you’re number one on the list, you get to say yes or no and lose your spot after your allocation came in and went.

4. ipeefreely

ipeefreely New Member

First Name:
    Will
    Car(s):
    2017 NSX, 2017 Ford Raptor
    Liked:
    There's mark ups on these cars? I guess I can't say I'm surprised. There's always a price to pay for being the first ones to play...

5. Gearbangin

Gearbangin Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Car(s):
    2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2008 ISF 8 speed ([email protected]) 2009 IS250 AWD 2015 GT86 (HKS Supercharged E85 334 whp)
    Liked:
    Here is the latest from my dealer.

Good Afternoon Larry,
    I was talking to my manager yesterday. Allocation are going to begin by the end of this month and we will see them at dealership some time in May. As soon as , I get further update on it. I will let you know.
    Thanks
    Rudy Shah

2JZ-No-Sh*t, Supra93, Guff and 2 others like this.
  6. HcNine-Six

HcNine-Six Member

First Name:
    Caleb
    Car(s):
    16’ Scion tC 94’ Supra
    Liked:
    Hey guys,

Contacted around 7 dealers somewhat local to me (Central KY). I’m officially fourth (wow wasn’t expecting that) on one of the dealerships lists as all of the others said they would contact me in May.

Was told they’re still not sure on colors and I would need a refundable deposit of “no less than $500”. Along with that, financing info, and the address it would be mostly housed at. They said I would possibly have to wait for a 2021 model as well.

I told them the trim/color option I wanted and I’m adamant on that style only (Premium, Phantom). I may or may not have further details come after meeting next week.

7. HcNine-Six

HcNine-Six Member

First Name:
    Caleb
    Car(s):
    16’ Scion tC 94’ Supra
    Liked:
    Well, against my better judgement, I went ahead and placed my deposit today. Normally not an early adopter for anything but can’t help the excitement!

Only update is that my deposit is in, I’m fourth in line. They gave me a short rundown and detailed text about the car unveiling, specs, etc (nothing we do not already know). I will be permitted to test drive it before purchase and the purchase price will be at MSRP.

I will be able to use my employee discount but there will be no added quarterly incentive (normal, even for a redesign of ongoing models). Didn’t ask for any details on the lease program.

They did a pull on my credit, took my cash, gave me a receipt, slapped me on the back, and said see ya later. :thumbsup:

Half Vast likes this.
  8. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Did they happen to echo the same info that Gearbanging (post #155) was told regarding allocations later this month and vehicles arriving at the dealership in May??

I haven’t heard a peep from my dealership....was just curious if this info was given to all dealerships or if Gearbanging just happens to be lucky...?

9. dvq

dvq Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Car(s):
    Honda S2000, Tesla Model 3
    Liked:
    I visited Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA again this weekend, they didn't wanna say anything about markups -- they said they would be getting 3 launch editions. Idk how they know this seeing as nothing has been allocated. They said they weren't doing a wait list, they'd just call me up when they have them in, they said sometime in August.

10. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Dealerships know (approximately) how many they are getting, but don’t know colors, options etc...

My buddy holds a high level position at a dealership, they were told they were getting “...One, possibly two Supras...”

However, that is all he knew...no VINs, no colors, options, and actually, he couldn’t confirm if they were even getting a Launch Edition.....

I am 1 on their list, I sure hope it is a Launch Edition...with the drivers assistance package....in white...

11. HcNine-Six

HcNine-Six Member

First Name:
    Caleb
    Car(s):
    16’ Scion tC 94’ Supra
    Liked:
    Nope. The dealership that I have my deposit in at said June/July is expected arrival.

Although, all other dealerships I inquired at said they would give me a call in May.

084runnerltd likes this.
  12. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Spoke to another dealership today out in the sticks of North Dakota. They aren’t taking deposits, but said I was the first person who called regarding on it.

Anyway, they said with Toyota they never know what cars they are getting, even if it is a Camry. He said, “We can request a certain vehicle (color/trim/etc), but Toyota sends what they want...with all of our other brands we can pick exactly what car we want.”

Not saying they won’t know the info on the cars prior to them showing up on the lots, but sounds like unless you specifically order a car from Toyota, the dealerships don’t have a ton of say of what will show up on their lots.

(Of course I am sure this varies, I assume the top dealerships get preference over smaller dealers, I just found it interesting).

13. Powaup

Powaup Member

First Name:
    Clyde
    Car(s):
    BMW M235i
    Liked:
    In the Bay Area the markup for launch edition cars will be 10k and base 5k. If the units don’t move however there will be room for negotiations

arexniba likes this.
  14. arexniba

arexniba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    BMW, VOLVO, ACURA
    Liked:
    My gut instinct tells me these models will break a 6 figure price

15. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    welcome to capitalism

The sap who pays double the msrp for a new car either A) has the finances to do so without a care or B) lacks the financial understanding to be able to comprehend the situation they just put themselves in

Jabba likes this.