U.S. Toyota Dealers without Mark Ups

Discussion in 'Pricing, Ordering, Negotiating' started by Dread_P, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Psychodo

Psychodo Active Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Car(s):
    2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2012 BMW x5
    Liked:
    20K over? lol.... :spaz:

XtremeMaC likes this.
  2. Jabba

Jabba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joel
    Car(s):
    2017 Subaru WRX
    Liked:
    20K over? F*** that. I don't need to be first. I would rather save that money, and place it on a hefty deposit on the hotter GRMN version than the launch models.

2JZ-No-Sh*t, XtremeMaC and Psychodo like this.
  3. SVHO

SVHO Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 MX5 ND, 2008 Tacoma
    Liked:
    Small world. I read your post about the Taco. I think it was an Access cab without the rear seat. Recently picked up my third Tacoma (this time 2.7 access cab) from Longo. Still own the Miata ND.

2JZ-No-Sh*t and alice the cat like this.
  4. arexniba

arexniba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    BMW, VOLVO, ACURA, DUCATI 899
    Liked:
    I'm sure it's because they're hyping it up. The US is Toyota's biggest market. I'm confident about my theory because of the Super Bowl. I'm sure they paid a hefty price to release/debut the Supra in their commercial. When it had released, there was news of people in shock. That means, we went from true fans anticipating the release, to now people that have money and want to get it once it's released. And because of the news spreading to millions of Americans, that means dealers will surely markup the prices on these models. So, bye bye to the MSRP....that was just a fictional price...

5. arexniba

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Dammit...it falls in line with the comments I got from a salesman here in the San Francisco, Bay Area. They said they are going to markup the Premium edition by $5k. And they will markup the Launch edition at $10k. Additionally, he, too mentioned that another dealer was going to markup the Launch edition at $20k.

6. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    I think it's a wrong strategy. Well wrong is too strong of a word, but inadequate method..
    You're in the theater waiting for your movie to start. You see "etc etc etc great movie coming in September 2019". You're like that's super cool, we shall definitely go see that movie. By the end of the movie you're there for, you don't even remember the name of that featured movie. Even if you did, you're like, Yeah can I see it now, No. What's available to watch next week "Fast & Furious 15". Let's go see that. It's same with every ad. You see a cookie ad, if your local store doesn't have it, you don't go out of your ways to find that cookie, unless you're the cookie monster.

Luckily there isn't that many coupe's people can buy now, but if I was in the market for a new car right now, thinking like common people, not gear heads, you'd wanna see what's available now and that's be Mustang, Camaro, etc. is what they'd buy... especially when the're like hmm wait 8 months (if they can't pull of early summer, no one will but this car in October!) for a car that I've never heard of that has I6 335hp (what's I6? anyhow) and from Toyota (they don't know the heritage of, only know that they make boring cars) or V8 500+hp Mustang GT that they well know..

Whatever, just before it hits the showrooms they need to do another Super Bowl ad, that's all I'm saying.. With all the hype in this forum, 50% of people are already in disbelief just by looking at pictures, stats, etc... I don't know who the guy that drove the Supra in the Super Bowl ad is, (yes, I don't care) they didn't do any favors featuring his smirky face.. yes after the ad, 10 more people are talking about it.

7. arexniba

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Lmao, I enjoyed all the parallels & examples you gave! :lol:

See, that's where the problem is, your 2nd paragraph. It's true about being a "common person" when you're in the market for a new car. But remember, this isn't just a coupe, it's being released as a "sports" car. So, the consumer base looking at this car will more than likely be gear heads and fans. But what they did with the superbowl commercial is to appeal to millions more AND entice the people that have big pockets to be part of the craze/hype. The commercial set Twitter "on fire."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26126335/2020-toyota-supra-super-bowl-commercial-twitter/

It sucks because those with deep wallets will purchase these cars to sell them at higher values. And if dealers see that most customers can afford them, then the trend will spark other dealers to also markup.

For the members that have put down deposits, you're really going off based on the word of the sales person. It would more than likely be believable if the person you signed the contract with is a General Manager of the store. A sales person will tell you what you want to hear and believe.

8. alice the cat

alice the cat Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Car(s):
    2000 Viper GTS, 99 TJ sahara, 2018 Taco, 2018 430i
    Liked:
    That is my sons truck. Longo just delivered my new taco SR DC today. Laura said she will keep me up to date with all things supra! Now I have to get serious about selling my Viper to make room.

9. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, Mk7 Golf, AZW Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I have had the pleasure of driving a '14 Viper TA, I do not think I would sell that car for much.

alice the cat likes this.
  10. alice the cat

alice the cat Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Car(s):
    2000 Viper GTS, 99 TJ sahara, 2018 Taco, 2018 430i
    Liked:
    Mine is an old one with 880 rwhp and sounds like a top fuel dragster. It's impossible to register in San Diego and with the new exhaust law here I'm concerned. The newer ones like you drove are much easier to live with in Socal.

11. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, Mk7 Golf, AZW Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Ah, explains a lot. Still, an awesome car!

alice the cat likes this.
  12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  13. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Car(s):
    future: 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Anybody in South Florida ordered theirs? any dealers selling at MSRP

14. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    Talked to Hendrick Toyota yesterday when I was getting the wife's car worked on. I've moved up to 2 on their list, and was told that they never mark their cars up. Probably because Rick Hendrick can afford to not mark them up when he knows it'll sell.

Sladentine and Quicksilver like this.
  15. DDantas

DDantas Member

Car(s):
    2014 bmw 328d
    Liked:
    Hi everyone,

First post on these forums! Called Longo yesterday about the Supra. They are known for not putting dealer markups on their car and the waitlist shows... currently it’s 138 people long. Of course there will be some people who dip out of that list when it comes, but that’s still a lot of people. Compare that to another dealer in SoCal(forgot the name of it lol) who said they WILL do dealer markup, but don’t know the amount of which they’ll markup yet, which only had a waitlist (with deposits!) of 5 people.

Seems like ADM will have a serious effect on the demand of this car.

XtremeMaC likes this.