OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
I wonder if the run flat tires are more prone to felt imbalance.
I'm thoroughly disgusted with lack of buy in to solving the problem by 2 local Toyota dealer service depts. One tech makes a bad call and the customer is left to resolve it on his own.
Sponsored

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455
OP, if you didn't get the road force balance yet, have them do it and give you the road force pounds of each tire. I was having this exact same issue and 3 of my tires are out of spec and being replaced for free by Discount Tire.

To compare, ~20 lbs of road force is considered the "max" for car tires, while Toyota says anything above 15 for low profile car tires is an issue in their opinion.

My specs:
Front drivers side = 11 pounds (in spec)
Front passenger side = 44 pounds!! (way out of spec and being replaced)
Rear drivers side = 29 pounds (out of spec and being replaced)
Rear passenger side = 30 pounds (out of spec and being replaced)

I have aftermarket wheels and wider tires as an FYI, but this could very well be your problem.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thank you so.much. I'm at my wits end trying to sort this out.
I'll follow your suggestion and obviously need a competent operator to manage the process.
Much appreciate the info. ?

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Status of problem solving vibration is still there after conventional wheel balance, road force balance and alignment.
Tire replacement is next step.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm happy (and sad) that it's not just me.. this has been driving me crazy. Less crazy now that I know I'm not alone. I have the same exact thing, roughly in the 60-70 MPH range, and also particularly only on very smooth roads.

I've also tried road force balancing, alignment, and swapped wheels/tires (winter set). Swapping to my winter set (brand new tires, brand new wheels, different diameter/width) still had the same issue present in the same range. I haven't checked for the spacers, but looks like that wasn't the resolution for others anyway - will check soon.

Added the cusco front strut bar - same thing before and after (not that the bar should fix this..), just a note.

It's not the end of the world, but yep, frustrating on a car like this. Thanks for posting and updating this throughout!

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Whatever the source it's a harmonic like buzzing that comes and goes in a rhythmic pattern felt through the steering wheel. Its rotating whatever it is. My independent garage mechanic is going to look at front wheel bearings inspect them as our next step. Yes, they are new, should not be defective but stranger things have occurred in new car assembly than unlubed, mis adjusted or defective bearings. Not saying that's it but next step in tracking this down.
And another thought- if it is wheelbearings they should become louder or worse over time.....imho....

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Whatever the source it's a harmonic like buzzing that comes and goes in a rhythmic pattern felt through the steering wheel. Its rotating whatever it is. My independent garage mechanic is going to look at front wheel bearings inspect them as our next step. Yes, they are new, should not be defective but stranger things have occurred in new car assembly than unlubed, mis adjusted or defective bearings. Not saying that's it but next step in tracking this down.
And another thought- if it is wheelbearings they should become louder or worse over time.....imho....
Yup, thatā€™s exactly how I would describe it as well. Doesnā€™t seem to be balance, wheels, or tires. I think wheel bearings/driveshaft balance would indeed be the next places to look at.

Please update if you can after you have the bearings inspected - would be awesome to get to the root of this!

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
I also have a vibration in the steering wheel like I can feel the texture of the road. That's an issue? Is the steering wheel suppose to be dead still like its not even connected to the car?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I also have a vibration in the steering wheel like I can feel the texture of the road. That's an issue? Is the steering wheel suppose to be dead still like its not even connected to the car?
The issue that weā€™re experiencing in this thread only occurs in a certain MPH range (60-80 for OP, 60-70 for me). If weā€™re cruising at 40, 50, we donā€™t feel it.

So itā€™s not just a matter of ā€œfeeling the roadā€ - since that would be also present at most other speeds. But yes, there should not be a rhythmic vibration feel throughout the wheel. I actually felt something very similar when I had a bent wheel on a corvette.

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
The issue that weā€™re experiencing in this thread only occurs in a certain MPH range (60-80 for OP, 60-70 for me). If weā€™re cruising at 40, 50, we donā€™t feel it.

So itā€™s not just a matter of ā€œfeeling the roadā€ - since that would be also present at most other speeds. But yes, there should not be a rhythmic vibration feel throughout the wheel. I actually felt something very similar when I had a bent wheel on a corvette.
So feeling the road as a slight vibration is normal right? I don't recall any rhythmic vibrations.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So feeling the road as a slight vibration is normal right? I don't recall any rhythmic vibrations.
If youā€™re on a smooth road and youā€™re feeling vibrations through the wheel, then you might want to get a second opinion. If youā€™re feeling feedback due to slight imperfections in the road, then normal.

I donā€™t feel any vibration/pulsing in the steering wheel outside of the 60-70 MPH range on a smooth road. If you had what weā€™re experiencing, you would likely know right away. I was 100% confident I shared the same issue as OP when I read the thread.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
The way Iā€™ve diagnosed wheel bearings is by driving at the vibration speed and then taking a long sweeping curve. If the vibration lessens in one direction then its more than likely a bad wheel bearing.

-RJM
Yup, essentially unloading weight from one side of the car and seeing if it reduces or enhances the noise.

Meep

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
This might be a dumb suggestion but did you try turning off the lane keeping assist? it vibrates the steering wheel if it thinks you are past the line, it bugs out for me sometimes. try disabling it in the settings

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Will do. I thought of the driveshaft but seemed like it would be felt throughout the car not just the steering wheel.
I'm more focused on solving the problem than throwing rocks but Im very frustrated with local dealers and Toyota not buying into, acknowledging theres a problem.... instead claiming this is normal.
Sponsored