Warranty issue- vibration 2021 Supra

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I'm pretty convinced that its just the Michelins at this point. Got a proper alignment and balance done at Thunder Bunny racing(Supra GT4 WRL team) and they confirmed balance and alignment was out of spec and adjusted very close to nominal. Some of the 60-65mph vibration is gone, but not all of it. Still somewhat noticeable. I trust that they got it dialed in, so I have no clue what else it could be besides tires.
Sponsored

lukas12p

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A4 B6 TDI, Supra 2023 MT
Thanks for the feedback and look forward to hear your outcome!! šŸ˜Š
Final e-mail from Toyota dealer:
After a thorough analysis of the request with the Toyota Motor Europe technical department,
I would like to inform you that the indicated vibrations felt during operation do not constitute a defect of any element installed in the vehicle.

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
I'm pretty convinced that its just the Michelins at this point. Got a proper alignment and balance done at Thunder Bunny racing(Supra GT4 WRL team) and they confirmed balance and alignment was out of spec and adjusted very close to nominal. Some of the 60-65mph vibration is gone, but not all of it. Still somewhat noticeable. I trust that they got it dialed in, so I have no clue what else it could be besides tires.
Get Michelin PS4S tires. This is what I ended up to install and no more vibration. They have better traction too - less spin at acceleration.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Get Michelin PS4S tires. This is what I ended up to install and no more vibration. They have better traction too - less spin at acceleration.
Itā€™s always been tire issues for me as well. Race teams flub their tires all the time (flat spot, uneven wear, marbles, etc.) thus switching them out constantly.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/tires/what-causes-tire-flat-spots/

Damn @ColonelAdama if I lived near TRB Iā€™d be broke doing so many things to my car. How do you pace yourself? šŸ˜‚ I canā€™t wait to stop by their shop next time we visit Greenville šŸ¤¤

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
Damn @ColonelAdama if I lived near TRB Iā€™d be broke doing so many things to my car. How do you pace yourself? šŸ˜‚ I canā€™t wait to stop by their shop next time we visit Greenville šŸ¤¤
I will be back there for sure, but modding the car over the years is part of the fun! If you do it all up front you won't appreciate the upgrades as much. TBR threw my downpipe in too while it was in their shop. They mentioned that they recently got a Dyno, so I may be back for that once I get my JB4 tuned in.

That aside, definitely visit in like a year. They are in the process of a major renovation, but its going to be the coolest car club/simracing/showroom/raceshop/event venue in the Carolinas for sure.
And of course 2-3 Supra GT4s to drool over:
20230613_085841.jpg

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I will be back there for sure, but modding the car over the years is part of the fun! If you do it all up front you won't appreciate the upgrades as much. TBR threw my downpipe in too while it was in their shop. They mentioned that they recently got a Dyno, so I may be back for that once I get my JB4 tuned in.

That aside, definitely visit in like a year. They are in the process of a major renovation, but its going to be the coolest car club/simracing/showroom/raceshop/event venue in the Carolinas for sure.
And of course 2-3 Supra GT4s to drool over:
20230613_085841.jpg
Love it! Iā€™ve done the full blown race car thang. Got it out of my system. But would love to have access to their shop for coding and other šŸ’© Greenville SC is looking better and better for a 2nd home! Plus yourā€™e close enough to drive to RA and VIR šŸ˜

Hence my ND MX5. Became friends with the race team and shop owner. Great guy! Was so spoiled dudeā€¦. You are a lucky man indeed to have them that close šŸ¤©

lukas12p

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Final e-mail from Toyota dealer:
After a thorough analysis of the request with the Toyota Motor Europe technical department,
I would like to inform you that the indicated vibrations felt during operation do not constitute a defect of any element installed in the vehicle.
UPDATE
I have asked them about:

Thank you for the information.
The driving experience is too disturbing for me to leave it at that.
Please send an official letter with TME's position with the justification of the decision, information on the basis of which data was taken and with:
- the protocol and report on the tests of my car with the signatures of the persons responsible for the tests and their verification,
- protocol and test report of the reference car with the signatures of the persons responsible for the tests and their verification
- description of the measurement methodology
- measurement results (raw meter records and converted to a publicly available format, e.g. Excel)

Answer:

Measurements were made with the PicoScope 4225-031 oscilloscope. The increase in vibration occurs at a frequency of about 46Hz. (--> this are the same as shaft rotations/second at 100 km/h)
Vibration at this frequency is not a defect.
Using the vehicle in its current condition does not threaten the safety of its users.

Then I asked:

When can I expect the documents I mentioned to be sent?

Answer:

We do not have records of the study in the form you are asking for.

Then I asked:

Then please redirect my e-mail to Warsaw where the measurements will be analyzed and compared to another car.

Answer:

All information related to vehicle repair is available in our service.
All the data we have has been provided to you.

ETC...

So I cant get official decision or any data from them.

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
This is actually somewhat helpful information. They are basically telling you this is characteristic of the model and not specific to your vehicle. In other words, there is nothing for them to fix. They could replace every part on the suspension and steering rack with new OEM and it would do the same thing. The only way this will get addressed is if their analysis uncovered what the root cause is and decided to redesign something or source a different part for future model years, but I find that unlikely given it is late in the cycle of a low volume car. We are all going to have to learn to live with this unfortunately. Fortunately for me, it goes away over about 75, so my fix is usually just "go faster."

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is actually somewhat helpful information. They are basically telling you this is characteristic of the model and not specific to your vehicle. In other words, there is nothing for them to fix. They could replace every part on the suspension and steering rack with new OEM and it would do the same thing. The only way this will get addressed is if their analysis uncovered what the root cause is and decided to redesign something or source a different part for future model years, but I find that unlikely given it is late in the cycle of a low volume car. We are all going to have to learn to live with this unfortunately. Fortunately for me, it goes away over about 75, so my fix is usually just "go faster."
So your saying get some SPL parts, sway bars, and start tracking that baby šŸ˜ƒ

lukas12p

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have contacted Toyota Central Europe (in Warsaw, Poland) and here is their answer:

Thank you for contacting us.

In response to your letter, we would like to inform you that we have contacted the Authorized Toyota Dealership in Częstochowa and the relevant substantive department of Toyota Central Europe (TCE).

The station carried out diagnostics of the car with the TCE Technical Support Department. The diagnosis was made using a comparison vehicle that was also equipped with a manual transmission. In the comparison car there were vibrations in the form of a delicate tingling felt on the steering wheel, similar to those occurring in the car in question diagnosed at the Station. The frequency of vibration corresponds to the frequency of rotation of the drive shaft. Therefore, it was assumed that this is a feature of the model.

Therefore, we cannot qualify things that work properly as defective. The described phenomenon does not pose a threat to driving safety. It can only be related to the expected comfort.

In accordance with the law, the car is homologated and has been approved for road traffic.

First Name
Qiang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra Premium MT
I just got a 2024 Supra Premium MT and have the steering vibration at the range of 58~65 mph. It's extremely annoying...

I tried wheel balancing and it didn't help at all. Then I tried to loosen the wheel lug nuts and re-torque it to 103 ft-lb, it seems it helped a little bit. The vibration is still there but not that much.

Hope one day Toyota/BMW can fix this.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I just got a 2024 Supra Premium MT and have the steering vibration at the range of 58~65 mph. It's extremely annoying...

I tried wheel balancing and it didn't help at all. Then I tried to loosen the wheel lug nuts and re-torque it to 103 ft-lb, it seems it helped a little bit. The vibration is still there but not that much.

Hope one day Toyota/BMW can fix this.
Did they check alignment?

-RJM

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I saw this a few years ago. Looks interesting. Something workshops should have I think.

Phil

First Name
Qiang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra Premium MT
Hey guys, I have an interesting/unexpected news to share...

I recently changed my steering wheel... and after that, the vibration at 55~65 mph is gone, completely. Yeah, it's gone...
Sponsored