What will the FT-1 be called? Supra trademark revived by Toyota!

Should Toyota used the Supra nameplate in any form?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Maybe, it would depend on other factors

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
That's not how it works. This is a US trademark only good for use in this country obviously. I dont know how it works in japan but I imagine they have their own system.
Sponsored

Raptorman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F150
Toyota had the Supra trademark renewed. I doubt they will come up with a whole new nameplate for a project that behind closed doors is pretty much called the Supra. They have "Toyota Mirai" trademarked but that is terrible compared to Supra (even without the history).

Respek

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mustang
That's not how it works. This is a US trademark only good for use in this country obviously. I dont know how it works in japan but I imagine they have their own system.
then why not have it end in 98 when it stopped production here?

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
then why not have it end in 98 when it stopped production here?
Remember, trademarks are good for a set number of years and you don't just lose it the instant you stop needing it. The USPTO requires you to file a "declaration of use" between the 5th and 6th year after registration and another declaration of use (along with a renewal application) between the 9th and 10th years after registration and every 10 yrs after.

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
So they have to show that they intend to use it? do they get to see a prototype of the car as proof? :D

OP
OP

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
A lot of the old sports cars don't work for a RWD front engine car like the FT1. Names like the MR2 or Celica don't work.

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
So they have to show that they intend to use it? do they get to see a prototype of the car as proof? :D
Slick thinking but the intent to use form is just a form basically affirming you plan to use it and then attaching the symbol that you plan to use for the trademark. :)

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I don't see what else they could name it to bring more excitement back than Supra
Agreed and on top of being instantly recognizable, it is simple and without all the fuss of these confusing alphanumeric names with letters and numbers and dashes. For guys like me who grew up in the 80's revering this car, the Supra will instantly get people's attention and into showrooms.

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
I mean I figured they would be bringing back the Supra name but seeing this just gets me so excited to see it's really happening!

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
This is totally unscientific but from what i seen from watching the auto industry for decades, when a company registers a name like this we are probably 2 years away from seeing it at most.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
The flagship car for Toyota has to have soul in both design and name. The Supra fills that. Something like 2000GT or even FT-1 does not. The word itself should have meaning especially when the brand itself has lost some of its performance luster.

Status
Not open for further replies.