What will the FT-1 be called? Supra trademark revived by Toyota!

Should Toyota used the Supra nameplate in any form?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Maybe, it would depend on other factors

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

detuning

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F
The flagship car for Toyota has to have soul in both design and name. The Supra fills that. Something like 2000GT or even FT-1 does not. The word itself should have meaning especially when the brand itself has lost some of its performance luster.
They won't name it FT-1 anyway. The "FT" is reserved only for concepts. And 2000GT is a classic name but too old for lots of people to even know. Supra name is already a legend and makes perfect sense to use.
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
The project leader Tada san keeps referring to a Supra during his interviews so I think it'd shock every one if it ended p with a different name. Here's the great thread blacksupra started - http://www.supra5forum.com/forums/threads/quotes-from-tetsuya-tada-on-the-ft1-supra.40/
Yeah this sums it up.

Link is dead though... any other links to more recent interviews?

At this point I would be surprised if they went with any other name, although it wouldn't detract from the car if they did.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Hope they keep the name so I don't have to change my username :nixon:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
So far the only name they have trademark is "Supra".

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So far the only name they have trademark is "Supra".
Some people say that they re-trademarked it just as part of a company's regular intellectual property maintenance, but I think the timing is definitely not coincidental. The entire world is already calling it the Supra nyway :)

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Interesting note - they re-trademarked the Supra in 2010 and then in 2014 again.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Not to mention that during the early stage of development on FT-1; the Calty design team kept referring it too as the new "Supra" project.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Not to mention that during the early stage of development on FT-1; the Calty design team kept referring it too as the new "Supra" project.
Hah they're not really hiding this fact at all then. :lol: Hope they drop the FT-1 name soon and just give us a "Supra Concept" then

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Even in the design video every other word out of Kevin Hunter's mouth was "Supra" .

Last edited:

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
Just playing devil's advocate b/c I definitely want it to be called Supra too but let's face it there's lots more expectations for what this car should be if they stick to that name. Even on this forum the debate: "A Supra needs to have ___" or "A Supra should not have ____"

If they choose another name it frees them up completely from these constraints. Just saying.

Good thing is everything they seem to be saying in public would is basically in line with what we'd expect from the Supra name.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Everyone likes the Supra name. Only concern I have heard in interviews of Akio Toyoda, Tatsuya Tada, etc. is that the car has to live up to the name.
That's a good thing I think. Means they're less likely to deliver what they promise with this car. I doubt they want to go down in history as the guys that tarnished the legendary name.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think Supra is what everyone is expecting but of course the car must live up to what it is known for.

If they build a car that does not meet or exceed what the previous Supra is capable of then I think a different name will be a better suit for the car.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
They've had almost 15 yrs and billions of dollars to deliver on what the Supra name promises. This isn't the 80's and 90's, there is a big gaping hole among the japanese mfgrs for an exciting sports car in this price range. If they do it right they will kill it IMO.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Status
Not open for further replies.