Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
I wonder how long gas prices will stay low?
Supposed to be for a long time to come, at least through 2015 I think.

Another reason it's too bad the car wasn't out now - the US dollar is so strong currently. Would have made for a more affordable Supra for Americans.
Sponsored

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I wonder how long gas prices will stay low?
Supposed to be for a long time to come, at least through 2015 I think.

Another reason it's too bad the car wasn't out now - the US dollar is so strong currently. Would have made for a more affordable Supra for Americans.
Gas prices look like they are here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some new major world event. Saudis are firm on maintaining production, and domestic production is forced to remain high in order to service debt.

And yeah the yen is at a 7 or 8 year low to the dollar which keeps getting stronger. Last time the exchange rate was this good, the Nissan GT-R cost $69,850. GT-R MSRP hasn't come down yet, but Nissan is discounting ~15k or more off sticker.

Hank Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS-F Ultrasonic Blue (2010)
Sports cars have taken a hit by rising insurance and gas costs for a long time. It'll take more than a year or a few years to reverse that. Plus all the damn hybrids and electric cars are what the kids these days grow up around.

Big George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3, X5 V8
Sports cars have taken a hit by rising insurance and gas costs for a long time. It'll take more than a year or a few years to reverse that. Plus all the damn hybrids and electric cars are what the kids these days grow up around.

JonMon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cars
Gas prices look like they are here to stay for the foreseeable future, barring some new major world event. Saudis are firm on maintaining production, and domestic production is forced to remain high in order to service debt.

And yeah the yen is at a 7 or 8 year low to the dollar which keeps getting stronger. Last time the exchange rate was this good, the Nissan GT-R cost $69,850. GT-R MSRP hasn't come down yet, but Nissan is discounting ~15k or more off sticker.
Great time for auto sales in US. Up 6% for the year and 11% in Dec alone. I bet a lot has to do with low gas prices too. More $ left over for discretionary buying.
The car might not be available yet but at least we know the supra is likely gonna be made considering how strong economies and car sales are right now. Some great concept cars have never been made just cuz of bad timing with a bad economy. For ex. the second gen NSX concept was introduced in 2007 right before the global recession so it never got made. FT1's timing was perfect then. :thumbsup:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i have a feeling that we are about to head into another recession :(

that would be pretty bad. recall FT-HS and the recession that followed a year later :/

Big George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3, X5 V8

that would be pretty bad. recall FT-HS and the recession that followed a year later :/
Hope not! Hope the strong US economy and its huge car market helps convince them to make the Supra. US will be the largest market for the car afterall.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
We're not going to head into another recession anytime soon. Real estate is steady and the markets are doing fine. All the while it seems sales of luxury houses/cars are stronger than ever. I think it's just the income disparity in the country keeps getting deeper.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Hope not! Hope the strong US economy and its huge car market helps convince them to make the Supra. US will be the largest market for the car afterall.
i hope that doesnt happen either. i was just talking with someone that studies the economy and he told me we maybe heading towards a recession because of the low gas prices.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Toyota has the wherewithal to produce a performance car through a recession. All of the legitimate sportscar manufacturers delivered new stuff through 2008-2009.

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Toyota has the wherewithal to produce a performance car through a recession. All of the legitimate sportscar manufacturers delivered new stuff through 2008-2009.
Wherewithal yes, but let's hope it has the stomach to do it if there really is a international recession.

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
I hope it doesn't come to that. I hate to say it but given a choice I think they should sscrap the FRS in favor of the Supra. If they can only afford to have one sports car in a bad economy it has to be a true flagship one like Nissan with the GT-R. No one will ever take them seriously in this segment if they keep pumping out FRS's sorry to say.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo

Yep, that is what I was thinking about. I hope it won't happen this year or next, and am gald for the NSX that I like at least. Unfortunately a globab recession is inevitable, and the next one will be harsher than what happened in 2008. That was only the first wave, and nothing with regards to a regulation of derivatives has been done, so the bubble continues growing.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
another reason why i wish they would hurry up already!

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope it doesn't come to that. I hate to say it but given a choice I think they should sscrap the FRS in favor of the Supra. If they can only afford to have one sports car in a bad economy it has to be a true flagship one like Nissan with the GT-R. No one will ever take them seriously in this segment if they keep pumping out FRS's sorry to say.
That's all they're doing with the FRS unfortunately... pumping out the same car without any updates, models, or much of anything exciting to keep sales up. Here they have this awesome small RWD sports car platform and they haven't done much with it in years when they could have spun out a whole family of FR-S cars (sedan, shooting brake, etc.). Hopefully Toyota hasn't gotten cold feet with this whole return of the fun sports car thing (including the Supra). :rant:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.