Will new Supra have to compete with next Nissan 370Z (300Z?)

ScottyR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 WRX STI
That's a good find. hope we aren't too far away from finding out.
Sponsored

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
If next Z does not weight less than 1400 kg, I have no interest.

OP
OP
<TC OFF>

<TC OFF>

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
If next Z does not weight less than 1400 kg, I have no interest.
1400kg would mean about a 200 pound weight drop. Might be hard for Nissan to achieve that without making the car much smaller or going with some exotic material. Don't know if Nissan has the stomach to go with exotic materials but would be nice to see them downsize the car to classic Z car size.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Nissan Z Concept Coming; Production Car Could Reach 500 Horsepower

It has been more than eight years since the current Nissan 370Z went on sale, but Nissan’s legendary Z-car soon will get its long-awaited redesign. The first major step will be taken at the Tokyo auto show this fall, where Nissan will reveal the next-generation Z concept, a preview of the production car said to offer several potent powertrains.

As this artist’s impression from Japan’s Best Car magazine shows, it is expected that the new Z concept and production car will have similar proportions to the outgoing coupe. The Z will also adopt an edgier styling language, including a gaping front end that takes cues from the latest GT-R facelift, and will ride on a shorter wheelbase courtesy of the Infiniti Q60’s FR-L platform.

Of the three powertrains on offer, the flagship twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6, borrowed from the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport, is said to punch out a healthy 400 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 350 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm; it will be mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. If this version lives up to those expectations, it could put the Nissan toe to toe with rivals such as Porsche’s 718 Boxster S and BMW’s M2.

In addition to the entry-level 3.0-liter V-6, generating 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft, we also hear that Nissan is working on a hybridized model to be introduced later that could make the Z the most powerful in its class. It is expected to employ the same 3.0-liter V-6, teamed with a dual-clutch gearbox and an electric motor producing as much as 160 horses. One source told us that this model’s total output could reach an eye-popping 500 horsepower. The new Z is expected to land in showrooms by 2019, with the base model priced in the low-$30,000 range and the twin-turbo nearing $50K.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-z-concept-coming-production-car-could-reach-500-horsepower/

Alcatraz Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E36 M3
If they move the Z upmarket like this we might be seeing the Supra and Z competing directly again like back in the 90's.
Supra Concept vs Nissan Z Concept at this year's Tokyo Auto Show. You got your wish it's like the 90's again. All we're missing is for Mazda to drop an RX concept :)

Shorter wheelbase is a good decision and it sounds Nissan is going after a much wider demographic than the 370z with multiple engines and price points. Will be interesting to see if any of the models pricing overlaps with any of the Supra models.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Concept vs Nissan Z Concept at this year's Tokyo Auto Show. You got your wish it's like the 90's again. All we're missing is for Mazda to drop an RX concept :)
I think Mazda would be dumb not to bring the RX back to their line up. The new Miata MX-5 looks great but not a car many would invest in. So why not take the Toyota approach and have a big brother added to the line up. Everyone loved the RX vision concept from 2 years ago and with Toyota bringing back the Supra and a new Z coming you know people will be cross shopping between these cars, so why not give another option. But they have to make it great.

Last edited:

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
I think Mazda would be dumb not to bring the RX back to their line up. The new Miata MX-5 looks great but not a car many would invest in. So why not take the Toyota approach and have a big brother added to the line up. Everyone loved the RX vision concept from 2 years ago and with Toyota bringing back the Supra and a new Z coming you know people will be cross shopping between these cars, so why not give another option. But they have to make it great.
Problem is Mazda is a smaller company compared to Toyota and Nissan. They don't have the budget to take risks or and tend to stay away from making higher priced sport / halo cars. Another issue is that if they brought back an RX type sports car they insist on using the rotary engine which just doesn't cut it against today's highly efficient high performance engines, unless they can improve it.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Would love to see a hi-po Z.

Makes sense that they'd move the Z upmarket to fill the gap left by GTR, which should also move upmarket by 2020.

And yeah, Mazda doesn't have the money to produce a sportscar.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
If the supra would use the B58 from BMW; power wise they would be very close! the new Nissan VR30TT engine is quite underrated, stock Q60's red sport does 375whp on a dyno jet, 450whp with an intake and tune!

Am interested in both really, i love my 350Z.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
I'd personally love to see the day when all the 90s sports cars are reiterated in the modern day but I think the biggest issue (and one that concerns me with the MKV) is that it will just be a rebadge of the name and not continue the same character/soul of the legacy that name left behind. Cars like the Supra, MR2, 300ZX, 240SX, RX7, R33/34, 3000GT, etc are all so special in their own right, it's almost difficult to imagine what would be an "appropriate" vision to bring any of them back.

Though I have a hard time imagining anything new as a candidate for reigniting the rivalry of the 90s, if they do it right..... damn that would be a lot of fun! :)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, after all I have read they dont even seem to care much about refreshing the GTR, let alone the Z.

it's arguably already too late for them to do a Z35 anyways, so even if they do create one in the future, it will likely be to resurrect the Z nameplate after its discontinued. We would have seen at least a concept by now if they had plans...
Sponsored