Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Wireless charger "fix"...for now.

If you research more into the wireless charger, it's not just a charger. It has some significant telematics/other shit I don't understand in it. I can't for the life of me find the article that goes over it. It's from a German site, translated. So far I'm three days in, with multiple 45 min drives, and it's been charging, and hasn't turned my phone into a fucking 200Ā° brick like it did before.

I just removed the charger, and unplugged the telematics connection, but left the multiple wired connection in. Pic below. Do at your own risk, and I have no idea if this has any effect on any other part of the car.

7BBFEB28-5639-42C9-9E14-45017B055FE4.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Its a cell booster. Thats what causes the overheating. Being able to remove that part while leaving charging active is interesting, I may try this.
I really wish I could find that write up. It's pretty interesting. The charger has never charged fast, so that part doesn't bother me. I just like that it's not overheating

RAWSupra

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
""Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA.

You must not remove the booster from the car nor use it with any other than the preinstalled coupling device or antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other antennas or coupling devices will cause the cease of the boosterĀ“s operating license
.""

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I used to get so mad that my dumb CarPlay was always crashing but now I think itā€™s related to how hot the charger makes my phone.

Iā€™m gonna wait to see if your car burns down due to an electrical fire and then do mine. Great tip.

dn00

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI, A90
Does the booster still work if wireless charging is disabled?

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
""Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA.

You must not remove the booster from the car nor use it with any other than the preinstalled coupling device or antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other antennas or coupling devices will cause the cease of the boosterĀ“s operating license
.""
Yeah I've read that. I'm still looking for the write up that I saw regarding it being more than just a cell booster, but whatever.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
This is the most trash wireless charging in the history of wireless charging, maybe ever.

If all it takes to fix it is unplugging a cell booster then I'm going to be both pissed and relieved.

Why is it even necessary to add a booster specifically to the wireless charger? How does that even work? I am awash with questions that can only have stupid answers.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
From an FCC doc I found:

"Your car is equipped with Wireless Charging. To ensure the best possible connection between the Wireless Charging pocket and the vehicleā€™s antenna, a signal booster (i.e., Compensator) is used. This booster enhances only the cellular reception of a phone that is placed in the Wireless Charging pocket, not other phones that may be in the vehicle"

Funny enough I think they need to be registered with your carrier and nobody does that. I may have to crack out the old manual and see if it has anything about that in there.

If indeed we can remove one plug to disable the booster, while keeping the QI charging enabled, thats great news.

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This is the most trash wireless charging in the history of wireless charging, maybe ever.

If all it takes to fix it is unplugging a cell booster then I'm going to be both pissed and relieved.

Why is it even necessary to add a booster specifically to the wireless charger? How does that even work? I am awash with questions that can only have stupid answers.
That's the funniest fucking reply, yet 100% facts about being pissed and relieved. I do have a couple year old phone, and it's been working on mine. I hope it works for newer ones, too.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WIRELESS PROVIDER REGISTRATION INFORMATION:

OP
OP
Joebednar4

Joebednar4

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
WIRELESS PROVIDER REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
Dude, badass. Had no idea.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dude, badass. Had no idea.
I wonder if the overheating issue form the booster is the phone constantly connecting to the booster (closest, strongest signal) to test if it works, failing, then going back to the regular cellular signal. Then doing that over and over.

Im still gonna unplug mine.
Sponsored