Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Quality - another fail and another Tesla owners moves on LOL :)

This Man Hated His Tesla Model S So Much He Traded It For A Chrysler 300
He put up with the Tesla's quality issues for two years before throwing in the towel.

https://jalopnik.com/this-man-hated-his-tesla-model-s-so-much-he-traded-it-f-1848538260

The quality issues he mentioned? They were things that would be unacceptable in a $20,000 car, let alone one that started just over $86,000. (Tesla changes their prices often. A Model S started at $86,200 in 2019. Now the base price is $94,990.)

The owner said:

...for the money, I was beyond disappointed with the quality and poor customer service. The carpet is like something you’d find in a Corolla, the panel gaps are as bad as everyone says, the screen was yellowing after 2 years, and the replacement parts are hard to get and extremely expensive ($1k and 3 months for a cracked mirror)!
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Quality - another fail and another Tesla owners moves on LOL :)

This Man Hated His Tesla Model S So Much He Traded It For A Chrysler 300
He put up with the Tesla's quality issues for two years before throwing in the towel.

https://jalopnik.com/this-man-hated-his-tesla-model-s-so-much-he-traded-it-f-1848538260

The quality issues he mentioned? They were things that would be unacceptable in a $20,000 car, let alone one that started just over $86,000. (Tesla changes their prices often. A Model S started at $86,200 in 2019. Now the base price is $94,990.)

The owner said:
You have a strange obsession with Tesla. Do you want me to start posting people who had to lemon law their BMW? Or people who got stuck with huge bills because their BMW engine grenaded just outside warranty?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-of-bmws-engines-is-so-problemmatic-its-the-subject-of-a-lawsuit/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ass-action-settlement-lands-in-federal-court/

https://thelemonfirm.com/2021/08/17/all-you-need-to-know-about-bmw-n63-class-action-lawsuits/

I can keep going :)

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
Tesla, no way. Porsche Taycan, absolutely.

1645027949677.png

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
You have a strange obsession with Tesla. Do you want me to start posting people who had to lemon law their BMW? Or people who got stuck with huge bills because their BMW engine grenaded just outside warranty?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-of-bmws-engines-is-so-problemmatic-its-the-subject-of-a-lawsuit/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ass-action-settlement-lands-in-federal-court/

https://thelemonfirm.com/2021/08/17/all-you-need-to-know-about-bmw-n63-class-action-lawsuits/

Go right ahead man LOL. The quality issue is an issue and continues to be an issue with Tesla. Dont care what other cars are affected. Makers are never perfect but the SHITE Tesla issues is funny. Never would spend my money there until its a touch better. Quality matters. Period. Have fun.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Go right ahead man LOL. The quality issue is an issue and continues to be an issue with Tesla. Dont care what other cars are affected. Makers are never perfect but the SHITE Tesla issues is funny. Never would spend my money there until its a touch better. Quality matters. Period. Have fun.
I would rather have a misaligned body panel than a car that consumes 1 qt of oil every 300 miles and BMW tells you that it is fine... Or worse your engine implodes. But that's just me I guess. One of my favorite Youtubers takes:
https://jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

It's not always about the car. Some of it is about the community and Musk himself holding a "Tesla has been, is, and always will be flawless" attitude and treatment of people who offer negative feedback. I understand this isn't representative, but it's usually the extremes that shape the image of an idea.

Of course, there are other car rivalries and communities, but I haven't seen any that go to the extremes Tesla fanboys have.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/12/tesla-super-fandom-becomes-toxic-negative-electric-revolution-op-ed/

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't pay attention to fanboys and rivalries. I buy cars based on me and my experience driving them. It's why I have owned everything from RX-7's to Corvettes, to Shelby GT350's, to Supras, to a Tesla. I really don't care what Elon Musk does or says any more than Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Bob Lutz, etc.

Has Tesla had quality issues? Sure. Are they nearly as overblown as some people like you to believe? No. Especially over the last year where they have clearly made improvements. As I posted earlier Tesla makes the process super easy. If your car has issues you have three choices. You can accept the car and have them fix it. You can decline the car and then you get a new one (usually quickly). Or you can choose to walk away and your out $250 (and if you fight it hard enough you would probably even get that back).

Tesla also has some of the highest demand and resale value (this was true even before Covid) so worse case you drive the car a few years and dump it with minimal loss.

The fanboy and rivalry stuff is just silly though. You can literally find any car and company and spend your time posting about lemons, issues, recalls, etc. There is no perfect car. C8 Corvettes have transmission and paint issues, Shelby GT350 has oil consumption issues and QA issues (my rear bumper sagged), GT 500 has also kinds of QC issues, Supra has oil consumption complaints (like almost any BMW), Subaru STI/EJ has had piston ring issues forever, Honda has had a lot of QC and issues with their Type R.

We could do this all day. I need to move away from a 2 seater to a 4 door 5 seat vehicle that has performance and is a good daily driver and is safe for my family. A car I can drive on the street and take to the track occasionally if I want. I want it to be quick but also have good steering and handling. Preferably AWD. My budget was right around $60K and I want something new with a warranty. I want something with decent MPG, and has tech like heated seats, heated steering wheel, advanced safety features, etc.

If you can find something that beats the Tesla Model 3P let me know for $55-60K.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
As if he gives a fk about what you drive or drove before. Yeah my money would not be going here ever. Ford could never stomach this and keep sales. FK ELON AND EVERTHING HE HAS MADE

FK HIM COMPLETELY!

Here's hoping he catches a nice case of LONG COVID and suffers appropriately. PIECE OF TOTAL SHIT.

dat fascist traiterous piece of shite.jpg

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
My brother worships Elon as his god. His other god is Bernie Sanders.. My bother is retarded like that because they're polar opposites... Anywho he has a 21 Model Y Performance and even with the crappy gaps, he like every other blind fanboy's loves his Tesla. I did consider a Model 3 Performance before buying a used 21 Supra 3.0.

The Model 3 Performance will blow away my Supra but I really hate the interior of the 3. I also hate that pretty much everything has to be done on the center screen. The only interior I like from Tesla is the Model S and that's out of my price range. As they are about the same price range, I do admit that I hate having to pay $50+ to fill up my Supra vs free at home or $11 on the road on the Model 3.

The 3 is more practical, cheaper to "fillup" and better for foul weather/winter but the Supra is cheaper to insure and way sexier than the 3 will ever be. I will not have another regret as I did when I bought the 21 Accord over the Supra. I ended up trading the Accord in for my current Supra, 8 months later.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
If I HAD to get an EV today, I'd get the i4 M50 since the Taycan and RS E-tron GT are a way off my budget.

clockwork

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Well, considering I traded my Supra for a Tesla Model 3 Performance back in September...

Yes?

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
If I HAD to get an EV today, I'd get the i4 M50 since the Taycan and RS E-tron GT are a way off my budget.
So I'm 99% sure the supra isn't staying long term. It's not a bad car but there's nothing really great about it either. Maybe some minor regret but it's fun enough to keep around for a couple years.

I'm warming up to the "big" i4 more and more... half of me wants one, the other half is considering to just get a 2nd i3, ours is in my name but technically it's my husbands car. We fight over it and nobody wants to drive the supra.

I like that they are offering the white leather on the i4... I didn't think I would miss that from my prius prime (toyota called it 'moonstone') but the all black supra interior is rather dour inside even tho the seats are comfy.

i3 is 1/2 price of i4... otoh bmw has way better lease deals than toyota did.

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Drove a Tesla 3, it’s an ugly one trick pony appliance. And that’s being nice.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
So I'm 99% sure the supra isn't staying long term. It's not a bad car but there's nothing really great about it either. Maybe some minor regret but it's fun enough to keep around for a couple years.

I'm warming up to the "big" i4 more and more... half of me wants one, the other half is considering to just get a 2nd i3, ours is in my name but technically it's my husbands car. We fight over it and nobody wants to drive the supra.

I like that they are offering the white leather on the i4... I didn't think I would miss that from my prius prime (toyota called it 'moonstone') but the all black supra interior is rather dour inside even tho the seats are comfy.

i3 is 1/2 price of i4... otoh bmw has way better lease deals than toyota did.
Great points. :thumbsup:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
So I've narrowed down my next car purchase to either a manual tranmission Supra or a Tesla Model 3 (either Performance or Long Range, not sure) and I'm actually torn.

On one hand, I'd love to jump into the whole EV thing just to finally experience what it's like to daily drive/own an electric vehicle. On the other hand, I've always been a sports car guy and love the feel, sound, and engagement that I get with a manual transmission car. I think the days are numbered for cars like the Supra, so that makes me want hold on as long as I can to a gas powered, turbocharged, manual transmission car.

Still though, there's something appealing to me about the whole "no fuss" EV thing too. But I think I might get bored in time with an EV, so there's that to consider as well.

In a perfect world, I'd buy both. But I already have two vehicles that I drive all the time (Audi & Jeep) and I'm not planning to get rid of either one. The Audi is a manual transmission car and is modified and the Jeep is primarly my winter vehicle and used all the time for hauling larger items and/or towing. So my next car will be a third car and there's just no way in the world that I'm going to have four cars, so I'll have to choose either a Supra or a Model 3.
Sponsored

Last edited: