Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

MattPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I bought a Supra and then told my wife she was getting an M3P for her birthday. Problem solved! I drove the Supra as my daily for about a year but I'm driving the M3P more and more mostly because drivers are idiots and gas prices.
Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I bought a Supra and then told my wife she was getting an M3P for her birthday. Problem solved! I drove the Supra as my daily for about a year but I'm driving the M3P more and more mostly because drivers are idiots and gas prices.
So.....is the thought process here that there are so many idiot drivers on the road and if you're going to get smashed, you'd rather be in the Tesla rather than the Supra? The high gas price part was pretty clear, but the first part was a little confusing.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
So I've narrowed down my next car purchase to either a manual tranmission Supra or a Tesla Model 3 (either Performance or Long Range, not sure) and I'm actually torn.

On one hand, I'd love to jump into the whole EV thing just to finally experience what it's like to daily drive/own an electric vehicle. On the other hand, I've always been a sports car guy and love the feel, sound, and engagement that I get with a manual transmission car. I think the days are numbered for cars like the Supra, so that makes me want hold on as long as I can to a gas powered, turbocharged, manual transmission car.

Still though, there's something appealing to me about the whole "no fuss" EV thing too. But I think I might get bored in time with an EV, so there's that to consider as well.

In a perfect world, I'd buy both. But I already have two vehicles that I drive all the time (Audi & Jeep) and I'm not planning to get rid of either one. The Audi is a manual transmission car and is modified and the Jeep is primarly my winter vehicle and used all the time for hauling larger items and/or towing. So my next car will be a third car and there's just no way in the world that I'm going to have four cars, so I'll have to choose either a Supra or a Model 3.
If you want a NEW car to choose from between these two extreme options... the manual Supra is something that will only be available off a dealer lot through model year 2026 (actual year 2025). That's when production ends and after that there will never be a new manual Toyota Supra made again.

Tesla will continue to sell their EV models and by 2025 there will be more EV options competing with the Tesla Model 3 from other automakers. Give it a couple more years than that give or take and solid state battery technology will also be showing up in other automaker EV's.

At this point in time, now is when to choose a manual sportscar, manual hot hatch or manual muscle car (or manual Ford Bronco if that's your thing). Those options are in their last generations and will not be coming back if you change your mind later.

But EV options aren't going anywhere and will only diversify and improve in their own way from what they are right now after the last new manual ICE cars are sold out. By that time the Model 3 and other Tesla models will have far more competition in the EV space.

Short window of opportunity if you want a brand new manual ICE car and especially one like the Supra MKV.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
If you want a NEW car to choose from between these two extreme options... the manual Supra is something that will only be available off a dealer lot through model year 2026 (actual year 2025). That's when production ends and after that there will never be a new manual Toyota Supra made again.

Tesla will continue to sell their EV models and by 2025 there will be more EV options competing with the Tesla Model 3 from other automakers. Give it a couple more years than that give or take and solid state battery technology will also be showing up in other automaker EV's.

At this point in time, now is when to choose a manual sportscar, manual hot hatch or manual muscle car (or manual Ford Bronco if that's your thing). Those options are in their last generations and will not be coming back if you change your mind later.

But EV options aren't going anywhere and will only diversify and improve in their own way from what they are right now after the last new manual ICE cars are sold out. By that time the Model 3 and other Tesla models will have far more competition in the EV space.

Short window of opportunity if you want a brand new manual ICE car and especially one like the Supra MKV.
Pretty much my exact line of thinking. I have the rest of my life to buy/drive an electric car. Buying something like the Supra brand new is definitely a limited opportunity. I might just buy myself a small stable of manual transmission vehicles to keep into the future. In the meantime, I'll start with this one....I never plan to sell it.

Attachments

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
If someone can come out with a 2 door/ no backseat, affordable EV then yes. I use to drive my ex Model 3 and it was fine but it would feel kinda lifeless after awhile. I love the green at that Kia EV looks tho, that commercial with the dog gets me everytime lol.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Personally I love the old and new. I'm for EV's... but the current options aren't that engaging or interesting once the novelty of utterly silly 0-60 acceleration times gets old when it's the vehicle itself, handling dynamics, style and how the car feels to drive that become the long term draws.

Next-gen battery technology that is lighter, more energy dense and faster to recharge without the problems of thermal runaway and ill-suited constant hard driving performance characteristics will help this a lot.

So will designing EVs that have style and driver-focused interiors unlike the boring egg-like bubble style that seems to be prevalent.

Right now the EV focus is all on volume crossovers and other fairly boring cars and too many touchscreens. And everyone is thinking through the lens of current lithium-ion cell technology as to packaging. And goofy simulated acceleration sounds.

But I do feel things will change on all these fronts for enthusiasts in a few years. Between now and 2030 there will be some major shifts in EV tech that will allow for this.

At current time if I were to get an EV I'd kind of just prefer a fully electric extremely boxy JDM kei car/van scaled up to a larger size. For a totally practical city vehicle I feel there's a certain charm to hauling around in the equivalent of a utilitarian thing that looks like a refrigerator on four wheels😄

And for everything else there's the "fun" car in the garage.

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Great points. :thumbsup:
One month after I wrote that it's still true... I have not driven i4 yet but a gas 430 and also rode in older (2016) gas m4. So now... i4 is out lol... looking for another i3s, bev (no rex), 120ah. I like my protonic blue but dont want two the same color, maybe red or white (panda) I guess.

One thing I would try with a 2nd i3s is put some bigger flares on and fit more "normal" size tires... the tire size is the only letdown on this car for me.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Picked up my Model 3P a few weeks ago. Car was spot on, with no noticeable issues. Quality is top notch.

The instant torque at nearly any speed is crazy. Unlike any recent sports car I’ve owned (GT350, C7, Focus RS, MKV Supra, etc). Suspension is a little too soft for my liking but I have plans to address that with some components from MPP (coilovers, bushings, camber arms, etc). Also needs tires and wheels.

With the weight being so low and 50/50 weight distribution the car feels and drives about 1000lbs less than it weighs most of the time. Once I get it dialed in I can already tell this car will be pretty special and it’s super practical.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Picked up my Model 3P a few weeks ago..... Suspension is a little too soft for my liking but I have plans to address that with some components from MPP (coilovers, bushings, camber arms, etc). .
Funny that you say that....I've heard that the newest Model 3P have a much softer suspension now. It was a very recent change. Kyle @ Out of Spec Motoring was driving his friend's brand new Model 3P (both guys have been multiple Model 3 owners) and they both said that the newest Model 3P has a very soft suspension compared to the prior models.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Im personally excited for EV's. I drove a Tesla M3lr and was really surprised, BUT my father buying a KIA EV6 made me seriously think about getting rid of our 2020 Mazda 3 for a EV6. it would easily fit our needs, I work from home and my fiancé works less than a mile from her job. It's too hot to walk to work when its 108 outside like today and sucks about the wear and fuel mileage the Mazda 3 gets just going there and back. So a EV would be great and has plenty of range to get us to SoCal easily from Vegas. BUT I wouldn't buy a Tesla. I thought it was a nice car until I spent some time with it and realize its ok, but the build quality isn't any where close to a KIA, much less and of the other car companies. a Mach E craps all over the build quality of a Telsa and that's fords quality. They are not horrible by any means, but Telsa just cant compete making cars against others that have been doing it a century or longer. I wouldn't mind a X or a S, but if I had to buy today it would be hard decision between a EV6 GT (when it finally releases) or a Mach E. Thats just to replace the family DD, if i had to replace my car....... ill be waiting some time before i go EV.

pandaman

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
I'm just waiting a bit to trade in my RAV4 in a year or two and then I'll have a charger installed. Lots of cool new EVs coming out. I just spotted a jaguar ev400 today and it looked super sharp. I imagine we will see a lot of really cool new EVs in the coming years.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
We have a model 3 as our family car. It's not a bad for a daily commuter. The family loves it, fast charging is cheaper than gas.
I drive the MKV on the weekends. Though I love EVs, I can't completely give up a gas powered car. I love the exhaust sound soo much.
Sponsored