Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
That's fine, that's like 99% of people. Cars are a pain in the ass, people hate them, and just want to get to work.

That's just not true. I took the Tesla cross country a few times, Chicago <-> Denver <-> SF <-> Chicago. Chicago -> NYC -> Chicago, no issues or worries or struggles at all. Just plug it in at the hotels just like I did with my phone.

If you're taking a proper road trip, why are you worried about efficiency, just fucking fly if you're in a hurry.

I get about 350 miles or so, give or take, in the Subaru tank. So the number of stops is about the same. When I needed to charge up the Tesla, you just explore the town, eat, walk, hike, whatever when you plug in. It's really not all hard. There's a lot more to a road trip than sitting in the car tryna get to where you're going.
That assumes you WANT to stop somewhere over night, and also assumes you have a hotel you want to stay at that also has a charger near by. People take 4+ hour road trips all the time. Adding extra hours for most people is not reasonable just to charge. We all have one resource we dont get back and that resource is time. Electric cars are not time efficient, due to charging.

Not everyone can afford to fly or even afford to get a hotel to begin with, especially afford to fly their entire family somewhere.

I know very few people that hop in a car for 8+ hours to stop every 3-4 hours for 30min to an hour and walk around the nearest town while you wait for electrons to dance across a wire with crying kids in tow. That argument is just ridiculous, people have things to do and places to be.

As I said, yes you can do a long road trip, but its very time inefficient (and potentially more expensive due to overnight stops waiting for a charge) and requires a completely different approach to planning a road trip that is largely not compatible with most peoples schedule or life. Around town they make perfect sense, battery tech needs to get better before mass adoption happens.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Run an extension cord out there. You can charge on 120v.

I'm being facetious obvious, but you can charge on 120.
Voltage isn’t the problem. I thought the amp draw is the issue?

BraveDemon

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra; 19 TTRS; 19 Velar P380 HSE; 15 GLA45 AMG
I was considering a M3P when I was shopping for the Supra and I think eventually I or my wife probably will own a Tesla at some point since there’s decent supercharger infrastructure here in south OC.

I think Teslas are fine in their own right - I view EVs more as appliances than cars (I know I’m going to get crap from EV fanboys for saying that) and the Model 3 and Y are the only electric vehicles with long ranges at decent prices that Id consider.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
People take 4+ hour road trips all the time.
That's not a road trip, that's just driving somewhere. lol.

Not everyone can afford to fly or even afford to get a hotel to begin with, especially afford to fly their entire family somewhere.
These folks are not in the market for a Tesla, likely.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Yes, you absolutely can. Both of those things are false.
The installation of a charging station in an apartment garage has far more hoops than at a single family home, and often costs a lot more due to complexity. The HOA at my place did some rough estimates and said it would cost each homeowner somewhere between $7-10k.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
That assumes you WANT to stop somewhere over night, and also assumes you have a hotel you want to stay at that also has a charger near by. People take 4+ hour road trips all the time. Adding extra hours for most people is not reasonable just to charge. We all have one resource we dont get back and that resource is time. Electric cars are not time efficient, due to charging.

I know very few people that hop in a car for 8+ hours to stop every 3-4 hours for 30min to an hour and walk around the nearest town while you wait for electrons to dance across a wire with crying kids in tow. That argument is just ridiculous, people have things to do and places to be.

As I said, yes you can do a long road trip, but its very time inefficient (and potentially more expensive due to overnight stops waiting for a charge) and requires a completely different approach to planning a road trip that is largely not compatible with most peoples schedule or life. Around town they make perfect sense, battery tech needs to get better before mass adoption happens.
With Tesla Supercharging you can charge up to 200 miles in 15 minutes of charge time, If your taking a 7-8 road trip and left with a full charge that means your likely stopping once for 15-20 minutes which is pretty typical for a road trip for most people. The software plans the trip for you and can reserve a charger too.

The new Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5 are the fastest charging EV's and can offer a full charge in under 20 minutes.

All of this will continue to evolve and it is constantly improving and cars are getting more range and as charging stations pop up everywhere.

Reactions: zrk

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is an obvious. Tesla just sends you right to the supercharger, which is reserved.
Yes, but based on some of the comments here it doesn't seem like people understand the technology. An 8 hour road trip in a Tesla does not require you to wait an hour to charge your vehicle. Tesla has already announced they plan to triple the number of superchargers over the next two years (and obviously you can charge your Tesla on other chargers/etc too).

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
No wont drive or own. There are better made out there. Tesla is poor quality for the price asked. In fact its shite quality given the price. Pathetic. IF I EV at all its German made. Dont care that Tesla has a touch longer range. They are crap.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I love all the comments from people about how shitty they are that have never owned one.
reminds you of some other car, huh ?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I love all the comments from people about how shitty they are that have never owned one.
Well Tesla did not do themselves any favors with some poor quality control, but they have made a lot of progress in the past couple years and I think Tesla buyers are almost paranoid now to the point that some people pickup their car and use tools to measure panel gaps or reject a car because there are micro scratches.

I have no brand allegiance I just buy the best car for me and my budget and this is why I actually did my research and drove some cars first. For $50-60k range there are no other options I know of that offer the performance and practicality of the Model 3/Y for the features I want. It has to have a funcional backseat and 4 doors. The only other car I really considered was the new M3 Comp but it's hard to justify paying $90K vs $60K for a car that offers similar performance and features.

I can spend $7-8K on the Tesla and completely overhaul the suspension with KW coilovers, upgraded control arms, lighter wheels/tires, and upgraded brake pads and rotors and then I have a track and daily car that is really hard to beat with anything under $100K

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
Supra is arriving in a few weeks.

Ordered a Model 3 Performance on Sunday.

Supra = my car.

Tesla = my car but run through my company so it'll do my Monday - Friday client journeys.

Supercharger network covers all of my 200+ mile journeys so it'll be a stop for a coffee and a charge.

I like both for differing reasons.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra is arriving in a few weeks.

Ordered a Model 3 Performance on Sunday.

Supra = my car.

Tesla = my car but run through my company so it'll do my Monday - Friday client journeys.

Supercharger network covers all of my 200+ mile journeys so it'll be a stop for a coffee and a charge.

I like both for differing reasons.
That's a great combo! I would love to keep my Supra but with resale so high right now and the fact that I am now working from home, it makes no sense. Since taking my new job in September I have put about 500 miles on the Supra and less 2K miles on my other car (Jeep Wrangler). Between selling the Wrangler and Supra I will be saving a ton of money a month in insurance and car payments but still have a practical vehicle (MP3) that is fast and AWD.

I already have a bunch of suspension parts coming for the M3P and can't wait for the first track event. These things are a beast on track when setup right. Jackie Ding races both MP3's and MKV Supra's it's fun to watch his Youtube videos and he really highlights the strength of the M3P. He beats ICE cars that are dedicated track cars that have to be trailored to track events with a M3P that he simply drives to the track, races and beats almost everyone, and then drives it home :)
Sponsored