Would You Drive An EV Tesla?

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
One month after I wrote that it's still true... I have not driven i4 yet but a gas 430 and also rode in older (2016) gas m4. So now... i4 is out lol... looking for another i3s, bev (no rex), 120ah. I like my protonic blue but dont want two the same color, maybe red or white (panda) I guess.

One thing I would try with a 2nd i3s is put some bigger flares on and fit more "normal" size tires... the tire size is the only letdown on this car for me.
i love driving the i3. Really wanted to get one, but it was just too much money now for the oldish tech.

tried the Tesla model 3 for a day. Got boring real fast. It’s a perfectly capable car, but felt like I was driving a giant iPad on wheels. versus the i3 which is so fun to drive.

Nothing against EVs, just don’t enjoy driving the Tesla. Nothing feels intuitive in that thing.

civiccc32

First Name
Alek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
I got BMW i4 e40 as a daily driver three weeks ago while still eligible for tax credit, the car is amazing, really great quality compared to Tesla 3 (except doors, my brother’s 15 year old xterra has softer closing doors), ride comfort is the best I ever experienced. Was looking at EV6 as wellbut dealer was asking for 3k markup and I could not justify paying 60k for Kia, it is a nice car but still Kia, outside and inside it feels a little bit flimsy compared to BMW.

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Honestly I was expecting a much more impressive design for the new DeLorean. It doesn't make me mentally connect anything about it to the old DMC-12 or 70's Guigiaro styling. Yes it has gullwing doors but that's about the only related trait.

The powertrain is sure to produce fast numbers but... will they set it up in any kind of interesting way that's fun?

And the string of supposedly "period correct" concepts from 1983-present that this version of the company released really aren't at all evocative of the period styling trends of the half-decades they want you to associate them with.

Right now there is something missing from their recipe, seemingly with a focus more on interior gimmicks, screens and seat bolsters that send "hugs" to other passengers rather than focusing on... well... showcasing a worthy driver's car successor to the iconic original.

hope they find the right extra ingredients and focus soon.

The Hyundai Vision N 74 concept car is far more evocative of the connection to the DMC-12 lineage (since its core design roots share the same original Guigiaro concept drawings which were evolved when later presented to John D) than this vehicle is, although I am sure that it's a great car on its own merit if you ignore the DeLorean brand naming.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Skidsareforkids

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 MkV.
I travelled 900 miles cross-country with a friend in his new Ford Lightning a few weeks ago. Phoenix AZ to Kansas. Amazing vehicle! Charging stations were a mixed bag though, and things started getting stressful the closer we got to home as the Electrify America stations become farther and farther apart...

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Drove a Rivian R1T -- my buddy who owns it wanted to autoX it along with his Porsche, so I volunteered to drive it down to the airfield while he took the Porsche. It's quick, especially on the highway and a nice city vehicle, but when he drove it on the autoX, it was downright scary. Even with the weight down low, it's a massive amount and the weight transfer as a passenger was downright scary. Not to mention the complete lack of range when attempting to push it.

Hard for me to really ever see an EV sports car which isn't lacking in either weight or range in terms of current technology.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Problem with Tesla is you either hate the guy or love him. He drives the majority of the marketing force for those vehicles. It’s not a long watch, so checkout how he handled himself in a recent interview:

Rogan has interviewed him as well. But not nearly as unprepared as this guy.

As far as build quality, I’ve heard the vehicles need to be buttoned down better. We have a ton of them in my area. The owners I’ve talked to absolutely love them! Satisfaction surveys seem to back this claim up when comparing against other EVs out there.

It would be cool to see other companies making EVs without the bureaucracy. Which is what it seems like he’s doing. Maybe that’s part of the appeal?
Sponsored