Wouldnt Rev after starting

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
i forgot to check yesterday. I'll try and remember today. but its so interesting i've never had a car with this kind of safety feature before and it definetly seems like it can cause issues and confusion.
Next time it happens try turning off the traction control and see what effect that has.

I must admit there were a couple of times this past fall where my car accelerated slower than I felt I was applying the throttle. Both instances were me merging from a dead stop at the end of a street. I attributed it to perhaps the road being slippery with leaves and sand and the TCS kicking on. I'll pay closer attention to this when I pull her out of storage in the Spring.

A common Jeep issue is if the brake sensors get caked up with brake dust they will throw ABS codes and cause weird braking issues.. Just cleaning the sensor fixes the issue.
Sponsored

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
I am starting to read this thread and it scares me. Sounds like its a pain to have to document all of these. Who has time :). I have had owned over 12 cars since 2004 and some with free maintenance that I never used. About six months ago I saw a Red supra on the freeway in which it needed a tow. I wonder if this was the same issue.

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
I am starting to read this thread and it scares me. Sounds like its a pain to have to document all of these. Who has time :). I have had owned over 12 cars since 2004 and some with free maintenance that I never used. About six months ago I saw a Red supra on the freeway in which it needed a tow. I wonder if this was the same issue.
For all we know, that one just ran out of gas. ;) This Supra revving issue will turn out to be a software/hardware communication failure. Something idiotic like the hatch latch is loose, so it signals another module not to rev. Toyota & BMW have to get off their collective spotty behinds, and figure it out.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
just like with anything this is not indicative of the majority of Supra's out there. The majority of Supra's do not ever experience this issue.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Next time it happens try turning off the traction control and see what effect that has.

I must admit there were a couple of times this past fall where my car accelerated slower than I felt I was applying the throttle. Both instances were me merging from a dead stop at the end of a street. I attributed it to perhaps the road being slippery with leaves and sand and the TCS kicking on. I'll pay closer attention to this when I pull her out of storage in the Spring.

A common Jeep issue is if the brake sensors get caked up with brake dust they will throw ABS codes and cause weird braking issues.. Just cleaning the sensor fixes the issue.

So we can put that theory to rest. I went out to my car this morning. Opened the door, and turned the car on without closing it. Revved just fine no issues.

I'm still convinced that for those who are actually having this issue, that its a sensor issue and theres a communication error going on. Just replacing the ECU wouldnt be enough as i believe its the sensor sending false information to the rev module. I'm not an electronic engineer by anymeans, however i have worked in IT for over 10 years and have seen issues with computers similar to this.

bonomo53

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Tested with the traction control again in the snow and replicated it every time. After losing traction put the car in park and doesn't rev. Drive off and it takes 10 or so seconds to rev but once you get moving it goes back to normal.

Oudy4143

First Name
Oarad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
hey guys I know I'm late to the party but I have a 2021 and I'm having similar issues not the same though. My car won't rev after start even after waiting 5-10 mins when I press the gas it won't rev and then a second later it revs to about 5k. Also I drove throughout summer and only had it happen once or twice but now in winter (in Canada) temps drop to -27 f Its more common.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Tested with the traction control again in the snow and replicated it every time. After losing traction put the car in park and doesn't rev. Drive off and it takes 10 or so seconds to rev but once you get moving it goes back to normal.
I experienced this today in the snow. My car was basically stuck going up a hill and was failing to get traction. It would only rev up to 2000 but I didnā€™t really push it harder as I didnā€™t want to get traction and hit a car.
I think itā€™s a safety issue when no traction can be obtained

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Can we send this thread to Toyota and get an official reply?
Wouldn't that be nice to get a real answer to end it? :thumbsup: Happened to me twice... Both times after it sat a couple of minutes after turning it off.. I chocked it up to heat soak and some kind of built-in safety (door was open) as it was fine just after driving off a few feet away. Where yat @Dannyvandelft ?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Wouldn't that be nice to get a real answer to end it? :thumbsup: Happened to me twice... Both times after it sat a couple of minutes after turning it off.. I chocked it up to heat soak and some kind of built-in safety (door was open) as it was fine just after driving off a few feet away. Where yat @Dannyvandelft ?
Reading along every now and then, rolling my eyes, and moving on.. Tired of arguing with paranoid morons. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
So I'm just staying out of it.

ArthurWick

First Name
PA
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Heā€™s reading his ownerā€™s manual....

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Just hit up Toyota Customer Care again, and opened a new case. A senior manager is supposed to give me a call tomorrow to further discuss the issue.

Im happy to go for bat on this one and represent you guys in this thread who are also having the issue. Iā€™ll keep you posted and let you know how the discussion goes.
Sponsored