Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Lol who actually waits 10k miles? 😂😂😂😂

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I asked about this when I picked up the car and they were talking about service intervals. I said is that right? 10K even for oil changes? Guy says "yea you dont have to wait if you dont want to though". 😆 Right after I asked about engine break in and he said people dont really do that anymore and just rip on the cars from the start..... Great can I have my keys **sprints towards exit to get far away.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
My Tacoma gets 1 year or 10k what ever comes first. Granted I use Amsoil and not the knock off stuff on sale at walmart. There is nothing wrong with a 10k interval assuming you use a quality synthetic oil. Ive had my oil tested at 10k/1yr multiple times and it could go even longer then that if I wanted.

The Supra gets changed at 1yr intervals using Amsoil unless I go to a bunch of track days in which case it gets changed a bit more. Again oil tested with tons of life left even after track days.

All of my engines get the same exact treatment, none burn or use any oil including my race engines in my motorcycle. That bike got abused and cartwheeled down the track multiple times. I changed the oil far less then most people because I was regularly testing the oil. The only time it needed to be changed out far ealier was after Daytona due to the sheer amount of WOT time.

That engine did not fail because of a 10k oil interval lol. I cannot stand all of these youtuber mechanics that think because they can turn a wrench means they know how or why a 10k interval is set and/or determined. The cams in that engine were fine, the bearings were fine, he shows this. If there was an oil issue the cams and bearings would be the first thing to fuck off. Then he goes on to say that that issue wont show up in an oil test? What? of course it will, the material being worn off will 100% show up in an oil test. On top of that the entire engine is largely SPOTLESS zero sludge anywhere. The cylinders effected appear to be glazed, meaning the compression rings are not sealing properly and the oil control ring is unable to properly wipe away oil during a stoke. That oil is then baked on to the cylinder surface, once that happens combustion gases caused the oil control ring to slowly sludge up. What a waste of the internet that video is.

TL;DR: The rings failed for one reason or another. Nothing to do with a 10k oil change. Dealership bulk oil is trash use something else.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ever-go-10k-miles-between-oil-changes.358085/

Last edited:

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Haven't watched the full video but his previous Supra specific video was quite interesting.

I think he only speaks of Toyota engines. Since ours is a BMW it might differ?

Also. In Europe (Belgium/Germany) we get 10 year warranty (engine included) called Toyota Relax if we service the vehicle yearly at a Toyota dealer.

Would be strange if Toyota provides a warranty while also having the vehicle remind the driver for service intervals each year or 15k km's (9.3k miles) if it was bad for the engine for such high km's.

Don't get me wrong. I believe earlier oil changes can do no harm, but these high-tech engines are probaly more capable than portrayed in the video.

SupraXXII

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
Well so much for that 10K mile oil change.

Since 2017 we've taken my wife's 2014 IS250 to the Lexus dealer for an oil change every 10k miles and no issues (bought the car used). When I bought my Supra in June 2022 The Toyota service manager said 10k miles is what the manual said but he recommended doing the first at 5k then 10k then every 10k after that.

OP
OP
darkknight302

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Haven't watched the full video but his previous Supra specific video was quite interesting.

I think he only speaks of Toyota engines. Since ours is a BMW it might differ?

Also. In Europe (Belgium/Germany) we get 10 year warranty (engine included) called Toyota Relax if we service the vehicle yearly at a Toyota dealer.

Would be strange if Toyota provides a warranty while also having the vehicle remind the driver for service intervals each year or 15k km's (9.3k miles) if it was bad for the engine for such high km's.

Don't get me wrong. I believe earlier oil changes can do no harm, but these high-tech engines are probaly more capable than portrayed in the video.
Well he stated that by the time the warranty is over, Toyota is off the hook so Toyota doesn't care. I'm kinda confused why people stated that it's clickbait when he stated that you should not do their 10K oil change and do it at 5K instead. Isn't that what most people here are saying that you should do it at 5K and not 10K?

He also stated that Toyota used the cheapest oil they can find. I find it concerning because this is a Toyota engine not a BMW and the owner didn't skimp on the oil change either. He's basically telling people to ignore Toyota's 10K miles and do it at 5K instead.

Souriall91

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’m sure that guy has more knowledge about oil changes than the bmw/Toyota engineers…
Im not sure why they’d put 10k if it wasn’t safe. Oil manufacturers also recommend 10k for synthetic. It wouldn’t be in their best interest to recommending waiting to change your oil. Toyota may not care after warranty, but if a large number of cars develop and issue because the oil needs changed every 5 instead of 10, they open themselves up to civil liability. Which is far more expensive than charging you for an extra oil change.

OP
OP
darkknight302

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
I’m sure that guy has more knowledge about oil changes than the bmw/Toyota engineers…
Im not sure why they’d put 10k if it wasn’t safe. Oil manufacturers also recommend 10k for synthetic. It wouldn’t be in their best interest to recommending waiting to change your oil. Toyota may not care after warranty, but if a large number of cars develop and issue because the oil needs changed every 5 instead of 10, they open themselves up to civil liability. Which is far more expensive than charging you for an extra oil change.
He explained that the engineers didn't write nor publish the 10K mileage oil change. It was written by most likely marketing who asked a few questions and went ahead with the promotion. By the time the engine is ruined it'll be way past it's warranty.
Sponsored