2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’ll hold judgment for the manual when it starts getting in hands of more “independent” testers. These reviews, like the Z reviews, seem to come from the ones invited to the events. And both seem to do nothing but praise and praise the vehicles, like the Z, then when others get it, ”flaws” start coming out and it’s not looking as impressive.

Not saying the manual will be typical BMW garbage, but when others get it I won’t be surprised if it’s not as stellar as these initial videos from people who do nothing but YT and don’t want to not be invited to the next release by dumping all over the car.

then you’ll get the guys that drop the 60k+ know the trans is crap but won’t admit it. (Mustang MT82 people, some were ok, but most are freaking garbage) I hated that trans soooo much that I never drove my Mustang, it sat. And based on what I’ve experienced with BMW manuals, idk if I would’ve bought a manual over the ZF. I was sooooo stuck on must be a manual that I bought a car that sat.

in the end I am glad they released it. It’s always amusing when the MT and AT guys go at it on why their choice is the right choice.
Sponsored

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Yeah, drove it for long while. It's your typical rubbery BMW ZF box. Gates are hard to get into, especially if you're trying to shift quickly. The heavier shift knob makes going between gears a little better than an M240i but overall, same stuff.

But we might have totally different ideas of good gearboxes, because I think the 86 is fantastic for a modern box. Short, mechanical, close gates with little obstruction. Feels like a tripod moving a shift fork, not a big mass of rubber like what we get with the Bimmers.
After watching a few reviews I think the shifter is set too far back. If you happen to be a shorter person, you would have a hard time with that shifter. Going into 2nd, your elbow will keep hitting the seat bolster. This manual is a complete afterthought product, not designed to go with the cabin. Did you feel it was hard to shift? Not to mention the clutch engagement was kinda bad too right? Wasn't designed for it

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I drove a GR86 immediately before so I had a baseline. Really don't understand how anyone could say it felt mechanical with that car right next it. It's not bad, I'd certainly drive it over an auto, but it's a GS6, and even uses an off the shelf shifter. I'm not sure why people would think it's magically different now.

My YouTube channel mostly. But I've also had a long standing relationship with Toyota, which I'm very grateful for.

There absolutely are! And the Supra would be perfect with an aftermarket shifter setup.
What are your thoughts compared to the old V160 in terms of shift feel?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
900 miles in 3 years? Bruh.

If you had a date with Ana de Armas, would you save her for the next guy, too?
I agree, cars are meant to be driven. Probably the only things I'd keep cooped up are a Ford Pinto and British Leyland cars that would break if you looked at them the wrong way.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
What are your thoughts compared to the old V160 in terms of shift feel?
V160 was an interesting balance. It felt almost industrial. You couldn't call it precise or overly mechanical, but it fell firmly into it's gates with a thud. Plus power shifting a V160 is a breeze. First gear in the V160 is my favorite of all gearboxes because you could hear and feel the entire driveline thud into place.

The GS6 doesn't thud into gear like that, you feel a sort of elastic resistance as you push it into a gate. I tried to shift quickly through this box and about 1/3 of the time I would get stuck between the gates. 2-3 shift and it wouldn't go into 3rd because I didn't get the gate dead center. It doesn't guide itself well between gears when you're really trying to hammer through the box. But when you're driving Ms Daisy, it's smooth and gets into gear just fine.

I don't want y'all to think I'm shitting on the gearbox, it's a fine manual. Just needs a good aftermarket shifter to be perfect. My style of manual that I prefer is like an S2000, Miata, or 86. I want to feel gears and synchros meshing in my hand, not to be isolated from it through rubber bushings. Just my preference.

After watching a few reviews I think the shifter is set too far back. If you happen to be a shorter person, you would have a hard time with that shifter. Going into 2nd, your elbow will keep hitting the seat bolster. This manual is a complete afterthought product, not designed to go with the cabin. Did you feel it was hard to shift? Not to mention the clutch engagement was kinda bad too right? Wasn't designed for it
If you watch the video I made, I show how the ergonomics aren't good. The seats and seating position are especially odd for shifting, especially with how far the clutch is from your feet. I'm sure there's a sweet spot for seating position, but I didn't find it in my hour or so in the car.

The clutch engagement itself is quite nice. Light enough and engages close to the bottom, definitely an easy and smooth clutch to use. Toyota did a great job with that. Just need to get your seat in the right place.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
i am in agreeance. If Jason says it feels ok, then I think we can all sit back a and relax a bit.
Yeah i trust Jason. Him and throttle house are surely the best on YouTube!

I bet mods are available to de-rubber the shifter if people want more clickity clack out of it

WgnLvr

First Name
Dangerous Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘23 Supra | ‘14 CTS-V Wagon | ‘20 WRX
900 miles in 3 years? Bruh.

If you had a date with Ana de Armas, would you save her for the next guy, too?
If she wasn’t much fun and just laid there…yeh, probably so…

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really curious to see a datalog of the 6sp being driven in anger. I fear/suspect there's throttle closure fuckery as a self-preservation measure. Should be addressable via a real tune, but that is the JB4 downfall in my experience.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If she wasn’t much fun and just laid there…yeh, probably so…
Lol Ana de Armas was the only highlight of No Time To Die, but perhaps in a different universe

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
V160 was an interesting balance. It felt almost industrial. You couldn't call it precise or overly mechanical, but it fell firmly into it's gates with a thud. Plus power shifting a V160 is a breeze. First gear in the V160 is my favorite of all gearboxes because you could hear and feel the entire driveline thud into place.

The GS6 doesn't thud into gear like that, you feel a sort of elastic resistance as you push it into a gate. I tried to shift quickly through this box and about 1/3 of the time I would get stuck between the gates. 2-3 shift and it wouldn't go into 3rd because I didn't get the gate dead center. It doesn't guide itself well between gears when you're really trying to hammer through the box. But when you're driving Ms Daisy, it's smooth and gets into gear just fine.

I don't want y'all to think I'm shitting on the gearbox, it's a fine manual. Just needs a good aftermarket shifter to be perfect. My style of manual that I prefer is like an S2000, Miata, or 86. I want to feel gears and synchros meshing in my hand, not to be isolated from it through rubber bushings. Just my preference.
Thanks mate, that's what I think of the V161 too. It's not knife-sharp like my old 86 or a Renault RS265, but it's mechanical.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
RE: V160 -- TRD trans mount, billet shifter tripod bushings (and Tilton triple carbon for extra credit) shifted like a rifle bolt. *chef's kiss*
Sponsored