A90 Supra MKV on the dyno

Mr.Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
soup
I still have a feeling that the press cars had either a more aggressive tune or something special in them.
They were up to 420ish ft/lb of torque IIRC.
Could be the case they did so with the mkiv prototype too I think
Sponsored

OP
OP

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
oh he's a good boi
One of 5 cats and a doggo, none of whom have been in the car yet. My 86 scares them, either because of the vibrations or the noise.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
We're wondering if maybe the car does different amounts of boost in each gear, to keep it managable.

Edit: and Twisted is right. Many people hate using a DD, since it reads lower than other dynos
remember, the ECU's in these cars are all Load/Torque based, not boost. So boost will vary based on a number of things. Climate, mechanical load (gear), and etc.

So if by chance you're logging the car it will typically produce more boost in the higher gears because its targeting a certain load, and trying to achieve a certain torque output. There are very complicated calculations taking place on the cars whenever torque is requested by the driver (gas pedal). so 1st and 2nd gear boost is typically lower than 3rd and 4th. Because due to gearing, it takes less boost to create the same torque in the higher gears.

Now of course there are correction tables that can be manipulated to chance how much or how little the gearing effect the boost target calculation. But that's an entire different convo, lol.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
And another Dynojet Dyno with 348/389 give or take a few to the wheels. I think we can throw out the Car and Driver dyno numbers now. Would be really nice to see if anyone can match their 3.8/12.3 perf numbers with an actual production car Toyota hasn't dicked with.

nimdavii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
And another Dynojet Dyno with 348/389 give or take a few to the wheels. I think we can throw out the Car and Driver dyno numbers now. Would be really nice to see if anyone can match their 3.8/12.3 perf numbers with an actual production car Toyota hasn't dicked with.
I too would like to see another supra hit 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and a 12.3 quarter mile stock. That being said I am missing what you mean by "throw out the Car and Driver dyno numbers."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27543113/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-horsepower/

"the Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.""Reviewing the results, we think there's a chance the peak torque output may be slightly inflated, as the transmission's torque converter likely isn’t fully locked until higher in the rev range."

Maybe I am missing what you're referencing?
just discussing, not disagreeing.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I too would like to see another supra hit 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and a 12.3 quarter mile stock. That being said I am missing what you mean by "throw out the Car and Driver dyno numbers."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27543113/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-horsepower/

"the Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels.""Reviewing the results, we think there's a chance the peak torque output may be slightly inflated, as the transmission's torque converter likely isn’t fully locked until higher in the rev range."

Maybe I am missing what you're referencing?
just discussing, not disagreeing.
Yeah, I've read a couple posts about throwing out those numbers and I don't get it.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Yeah, exactly, that quote. Yes they said that, but if that had happened, I don't think that that's how it would look on the dyno. "Whoops, the torque converter didn't lock up, we just made an extra 38lbs/ft". Wouldn't it do the opposite? I'm sure they didn't do just a single pull either. Lots of other dynos have been done now, anyone else see a magic 40lbs/ft show up on their dyno sheet from a botched dyno attempt?

Regardless, that was a dyno jet and rarely do dyno calibration errors show changes that large from dyno to dyno (other brands, for sure!). I would just like to know if the cars C&D were given had a secret sauce tune on them to bolster the 0-60 and quarter mile numbers (I think they actually used a different car for both tests).

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
All I'm saying is I'd like to see some verification of the perf stats they were able to attain, off a production car.

I've seen 4.0 for 0-60 and 12.5 quarter elsewhere so far on stock production cars, which is close enough for regional, altitude and temp conditions to account for the difference. But a 40lbs/fr diff on a dyno jet is pretty big imo so I wouldn't mind some other sources to back up those numbers.
Sponsored