A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
Surely you're joking.
I don't think he's joking. That idea has been bounced around in this thread. Toyota has a racing division. It's stupid that they locked the ECU.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
I don't think he's joking. That idea has been bounced around in this thread. Toyota has a racing division. It's stupid that they locked the ECU.
Toyota didn't lock them Bosch did, to all the manufactures they supply to, not just Toyota/BMW

I'm sure I read somewhere it had something to do with moving towards more automatous cars & making sure they can't be manipulated electronically

Value

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I am with you to a point......not a fan of the C7 version (too many angles on the body lines) but the C6 version (basically ZR1 body with 7.0L N/A engine) is a bute......even at it's age, I think it is still one of the best looking body designs for it's time. Even 10 yrs ago it was an under 4 sec. 0-60 car!!!
I canā€™t disagree with that,Iā€™m biased tho lol- My 950whp ZR1 ?

3916C191-8B97-47F9-87F5-8C69AF60BCFF.jpeg
38E99496-7395-4A45-A648-624103E43D05.jpeg

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Toyota has a racing division, we own street cars. I'm sure if they released a track only car they'd provide an unlocked DME.

I will give someone my house and all my vehicles if Toyota were to actively work towards unlocking something that is nothing but a net positive for their company. Does anyone actually, for a second, think that any manufacturers were telling Bosch "No, no, don't lock the ECU's, we want our customers to be able to modify our programming".???

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
Toyota has a racing division, we own street cars. I'm sure if they released a track only car they'd provide an unlocked DME.

I will give someone my house and all my vehicles if Toyota were to actively work towards unlocking something that is nothing but a net positive for their company. Does anyone actually, for a second, think that any manufacturers were telling Bosch "No, no, don't lock the ECU's, we want our customers to be able to modify our programming".???
As someone who has sat in on those security presentations for another OEM....No one is telling Bosche to hold back on security. Depending on the engineering architecture, they could legitimately not provide a way to unlock ever. I'm calling parallel setups are going to be the future

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
As someone who has sat in on those security presentations for another OEM....No one is telling Bosche to hold back on security. Depending on the engineering architecture, they could legitimately not provide a way to unlock ever. I'm calling parallel setups are going to be the future
This is probably our future, unfortunately. Just because they've always been cracked in the past doesn't mean they always will be in the future. Having said that, the best and brightest don't necessarily work for the OEMs.

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
This is probably our future, unfortunately. Just because they've always been cracked in the past doesn't mean they always will be in the future. Having said that, the best and brightest don't necessarily work for the OEMs.
True, the best and brightest dont....But you don't necessarily create new security layers. You buy them and that's what OEMs are doing. They are just carrying over practices that have been standard in IT for some time now.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0

They already sell a track only Supra GT4. It has its own tuning on the same ecu.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
They already sell a track only Supra GT4. It has its own tuning on the same ecu.

Do you know for sure supra GT4 has same ECU? Do you know the part # of ECU from supra GT4? and what was the date made? and how do you know? do you own one or worked on one? that would clarify a lot.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I canā€™t disagree with that,Iā€™m biased tho lol- My 950whp ZR1
SO UNFAIR!!!!!:thumbsup: Awesome ride man......sorry but i would take one of those over Supra any day!!!! Even stock or a little more "down to earth" Z06. LOVE those cars. Never a big vette fan but would put a C6 Z06 in my garage any day of the week.......

Back to the thread.....

Do you know for sure supra GT4 has same ECU? Do you know the part # of ECU from supra GT4? and what was the date made? and how do you know? do you own one or worked on one? that would clarify a lot
......and do you really think that the "race" division would use the same ECU's as the "consumer" vehicles????? Really?????? as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, with "autonomous" becoming more popular heck for that matter, "adaptive" cruise needs some level of security to prevent "idiots" from trying to "hack" cars and the sad thing is most would do it just to say they did it and not giving a darn about the safety of the occupants of the vehicle. My desire for a Supra has absolutely nothing to do with whether it can be tuned. If I wanted a "street burner", I would rather build my own using a fox body mustang platform.....better yet, driving "Value"'s ZR1.....?

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
......and do you really think that the "race" division would use the same ECU's as the "consumer" vehicles????? Really?????? as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, with "autonomous" becoming more popular heck for that matter, "adaptive" cruise needs some level of security to prevent "idiots" from trying to "hack" cars and the sad thing is most would do it just to say they did it and not giving a darn about the safety of the occupants of the vehicle. My desire for a Supra has absolutely nothing to do with whether it can be tuned. If I wanted a "street burner", I would rather build my own using a fox body mustang platform.....better yet, driving "Value"'s ZR1.....?
not sure what your intent is? are you just want to be rhetorical? perhaps you are a friend of kiske and trying to defend him? that doesn't make sense either..

Although I have doubt, perhaps he knows more than we do? I'm trying to be as polite as possible and giving him the benefit of doubt? perhaps you don't see it that way?

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
The brochure states the GT4 has a unique Magneti Marelli Ecu with a built in Bosch Motorsports DDU 10 intergrated display/data logger.

No I don't have the car. I heavily looked at one but decided to keep my 2 BRZ track cars. Less worry if I take them into the wall and a lot less $ needed on raceday.

Last edited:

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Although I have doubt, perhaps he knows more than we do? I'm trying to be as polite as possible and giving him the benefit of doubt? perhaps you don't see it that way?
I have no " dog in that fight" as I am still on the fence about buying a Supra so I am not trying to defend anyone's opinion. Just adding another opinion to the fray......tuning is prevalent on a lot of different forums so I understand where it comes from, hell, I run JB4 map2 93 oct. on my Stinger so I would be "sacrilegious" to campaign against tuning but just saying there is a reason Bosch is locking these things down. I could do an ECU tune on my car but planning on trading it so it would defeat the purpose....

The brochure states the GT4 has a unique Magneti Marelli Ecu with a built in Bosch Motorsports DDU 10 intergrated display/data logger.
To sum up my previous post, this answered it just in a different way. Don't mean any harm bro....